Aloha from Myrtle Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Myrtle Beach

Okay, my husband told us last week he has a job in Honolulu starting November 19. We have moved a lot in the last 10 years, and we were both travelling military brats as children. I am learning to let go of a lot of household goods and get ready to move to Hawai'i. I've been lurking for a couple of months since I first heard of his job offer, and went "live" with the kindness of the webmaster once I shared our news.

My husband has found us a place to live, and I've read over the threads that concerned utilities and such. Y'all are so helpful. Now I know where to go to replace the stuff I don't want to ship. Sorry to bring more haole to Oahu, but I gotta get my 9 yr old out of the Southeast. We live in a tourist area in South Carolina that is turning into a retirement community.

I hm having trouble finding out what I can bring into Hawai'i. Are there usual agricultural restrictions? Where can I find out?

Thanks everyone...Cindy

Re: Aloha from Myrtle Beach

Welcome to HT, Cindy.

Your question is non-specific so I googled on:
    agricultural restriction hawaii
    and got lots of hits. I don't know if they pertain to you, tho'. Good luck.

Comment

Mahalo, tutusue! I'll try again. How are things in Waialua? I don't see much on the threads about it.

Comment

I don't live in Waialua so don't have any current info about it. Come to think of it, I don't think I've been to Waialua in at least 4 years!

Comment

Aloha! E komo mai!
          'Alika

Comment

Mahalo! Oh my gosh I remembered the word! My ohana and I are deciding what we REALLY need for the move; after reading about the snow on the Big Island, maybe we should at least pack one coat. It is hard to let go of a bunch of memories. I thought I had pared down the belongings with the last move. I have to get very practical and push away the sentiment.
            But it makes it easier to know that a wonderful place awaits with great people. I sent off my nursing license stuff yesterday and set up for a nursing certification exam (renewal of ER nursing...been doing it for over 20 yrs.)
            I have travelled a lot over the years, but never got to Hawai'i.
            My husband is moving the end of next week and has a place for us. My son and I are moving the third week of December, and plan to celebrate Christmas there.

Comment

Lots of good info at the Hawaii State Department of Agriculture:

http://www.hawaii.gov/hdoa

All you want to know is in the links in the right column.

Remember, you are not on vacation. You live here. There is a big difference in the way you act and think when you perceive Hawai'i as a home rather than a junket.

No, you won't need the winter clothes. There is snow on Mauna Kea, but you will rarely, if ever, get up there. It will never be cold enough anywhere else to warrant winter clothes. Definitely, leave the skis and snowshoes!

Be prepared for a shock of a Christmas! Christmas Day will likely be mostly sunny, about 84°, good day for the beach or a bowl game. Backyard barbecue and football on TV! Christmas night it might drop to a "chilly" 72°! The water in the ocean will be warmer than the outside air temperature!

Good luck and welcome to Hawai'i.

Aloha,

Blaine
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Aloha and welcome to Hawaii Threads Cindy! Glad to have you here. Good luck with your move and welcome to Hawai'i and Aloha!

Alana
                Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Oh, I forgot to say: I love Myrtle Beach! My 'ohana and I have been there a lot. Nani, 'ae?
                  'Alika

Comment

My son and I are having a great time translating the bits of Hawaiian y'all write. I am sure as soon as he gets into school, he will be learning Hawaiian and translating more for me. BTW, he will be going in the North Shore area. Is school year round there? What are the hours? Most school sites don't list that.

Comment

To answer your question Cindy, since your son will be attending school here on the island of O'ahu (Honolulu) the school year is all year round they just changed the schedule recently and they still have breaks in between. The school hours depends on the school that he will be attending. Usually school starts at 8:00am-2:15pm. Hope that helps.
                      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

My son's response: "WHAATTT? No summer vacation??" That is, until he was reminded of year-round breaks instead. "Oh." One of the schools in our district has been year-round for a while and it seems to go well. Thanks for your help!

Comment

About your son learning 'olelo, maika'i loa kela! (That's great!) Please let us know if either of you need kokua (help) with anything when the time comes.
                          'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                            [...]Be prepared for a shock of a Christmas! Christmas Day will likely be mostly sunny, about 84°, good day for the beach or a bowl game. Backyard barbecue and football on TV! Christmas night it might drop to a "chilly" 72°! The water in the ocean will be warmer than the outside air temperature! [...]
                            Aaaah...Christmas in Hawaii. There's just nuthin' quite like it, afaic. We may not have snow or other weather related Christmas associations but Hawaii sure has the spirit. I noticed recently that a neighboring condo building has one resident who already has his/her exterior lights up!

My 2 favorite decoration memories involve homes in an economically deprived area of Oahu with residents who were obviously financially challenged. One very old, very small, about to collapse house had one window, facing the highway, covered in gift wrap with a bow stuck in the middle. The residents of another home seemed to have only 2 strands of exterior lights. The trunks of the 2 palm trees in the front yard were each wrapped with one strand from the bottom up. Those strands didn't go very far but ya gotta love the spirit!

Santa is currently standing tall at Ala Moana Center. And I've already received my first Christmas card. Yikes!

My goal each Christmas day is to at least stick my foot in the ocean. A turkey dinner picnic at the beach is preferable!

So, Cindy, as long as you aren't dependent on cold weather to help make Christmas memories special, you should be just fine. Oh, and Santa arrives in an outrigger canoe, not a sleigh!
                            Last edited by tutusue; November 10, 2007, 04:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Oh boy--swimming for the holidays! Do you fry turkeys? I know we do that around here. And my husband spent several years of his childhood stationed in Japan, so the food pictures are killing him (re: the What's for Dinner or Lunch threads) and we can't wait--sushi lovers in South Carolina are pretty much stuck with "California Rolls." I have to train him to love Spam, tho--it was a favorite at my house growing up. I even inherited my dad's Spam hat and coffee cup.

Comment

Working...
                              X