Aloha from Omaha, Nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha from Omaha, Nebraska

Aloha and welcome to Hawaii Threads! Actually, Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u is one of several of my favorite Hawaiian Songs. Jerry Santos sings it. I love his version of it.
    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by achow View Post
      Aloha and welcome to Hawaii Threads! Actually, Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u is one of several of my favorite Hawaiian Songs. Jerry Santos sings it. I love his version of it.
      Olomana...man that was great music
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs Zizback View Post
        Ha ha ha, before I moved here I mainly thought of Wild Kingdom if the subject of Omaha came up -- that and a Looney Tunes cartoon in which Daffy Duck presents a license to sell hair tonic to bald eagles in Omaha, Nebraska.

I haven't lived here very long. Before here I lived for 17 years in Denver, Colorado. I'm liking it here so far. I've found that wherever I've lived I've been able to meet terrific people if I treat people with respect and am genuine. That was definitely true of Hawaii also.

I'm doing great. I primarily played rock music when I played in bands in Hawaii. However, I did develop an appreciation for Hawaiian music. At the time, Cecilio & Kapono were very popular and had a smash hit, Honolulu City Lights. I did get the chance one time to learn and perform Hawaiian music. The guitar player for a Hawaiian band at my high school got sick and couldn't perform for one of the school functions and I was brought in to fill in for him. At the time I didn't think of it as any big deal, but now I'm really glad that happened (well, not the part about the guy getting sick). But today I'm really glad I got the opportunity to perform some Hawaiian music. In fact, one of the songs were performed was called (and I may be misspelling this -- apologies if I am) Me Ke'aloha kuuhomeo kahalu. It's a song a local artist recorded sometime probably in the early 80s. I don't remember who wrote and recorded that song. In fact, if anyone here recognizes it and can direct me to where I might find an MP3 of it, I'd be very grateful. The song had genuine emotion and brings back good memories for me. That's the thing that's most important to me about music -- that it convey genuine emotion, regardless of what kind of music it is. If I could listen to that song once again after all these years -- wow -- that would mean a lot to me. I think the lyrics started out as, "I remember days when we were younger..."

Other music I'd love to track down: Schnazz. They were a local rock band headed by "The Fritz," who was a local DJ at the time. Their big hit was a cover of "I think we're alone now." I actually used to have their album on vinyl, but its' somehow gotten lost over the years.

So, yeah, man, I'd love to visit Hawaii and kanikapila with you.
        Oh! That's "Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u" by Jerry Santos from the group Olomana. I love that song!

C and K did "Honolulu City Lights?" I haven't heard their version. I know the one by Keola and Kapono Beamer.

Nice to make your acquaintance!

A hui hou!
        'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by Babs Zizback View Post
          That's the thing that's most important to me about music -- that it convey genuine emotion
          Music's the best mind altering drug there is.

Welcome to HT. As you can already see, and I have already experienced, people here are very friendly
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
          X