Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from Florida to Hawaii in June

Hey everyone,
    My name is Matthew and I am moving to hawaii come june 10th. I was lucky enough to meet a guy through couchsurfing.com who is going to allow my girlfriend and I to stay with him for a week when we get there so we can find an apartment. We plan to have around 5 grand saved up by then. Does anything thing I wont be able to manage off that? Well I am completely open to any suggestions or help from anyone.

We will be looking for a 1 bedroom or studio under the 1 grand mark so if someone knows a place available around that time please let me know.

Thanks.

Matthew

Re: Moving from Florida to Hawaii in June

Which island?
    In what area does the couchsurfing.com dude live?
    Do either of you have a job lined up?
    Keep in mind when you rent you'll need first month and a matching security deposit. 5K doesn't leave much after that. I'd double that amount, at the very least. I usually advise a minimum of 6 months living expenses.
    Mandatory, in my book, is enough buckaroonies stashed out of reach to pay for one way tickets back to the mainland should things not work out. Those tickets are very expensive right now.
    Please check the HT archives as there's a ton of info.
    Good luck!

Comment

hey tutusue. Oahu is the island of plan and is where David(Couchsurfing.com guy) lives. I dont have a job lined up yet but have over 2 years in experience in accounting so I dont think I will have a big problem getting a basic accounting job. Also me and my girl will be sharing a studio so I think between us we could handle the bills. Ya and on the tickets I see tickets will be around 500 - 600 a person one way there so I actually have separate money saved for plane tickets so the 5k didnt include that.

Comment

Aloha and welcome to Hawaii Thread Matthew! Glad to have you here! Keep on posting.
        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Alooooooo-haaaaaaaa! E komo mai! Pehea 'oe?

'Ae, do keep posting!

Maybe you'll meet Alana when you move!

Florida and Hawai'i are both wonderful states! Love them both.

Have a great day!
          'Alika

Comment

Working...
          X