Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from New Jersey

Aloha,
    My name is Jerry, I live about ten minutes inland from Atlantic City, NJ.

I will be coming to Hawaii for my first time from May 13 to 21 to celebrate my 30th wedding anniversary. We are staying on Oahu in Waikiki and I'm planning on seeing as much of the island as possible in the 8 days we will be there. The days are not going fast enough for me as I can't wait to see this beautiful State that I have read so much about.

I am a frequent posting member on Trip Advisor and have the same screen name there. I saw a post on their forum by a member recommending this site to get good information from the true local people.

I will probably be posting some questions soon looking for ideas for my trip and suggestions to make sure I don't offend anyone while visiting as I know sometimes tourists can do.

Today is also my birthday and I got a email from Hawaii threads which was very nice. I'm looking forward to your help and if anyone is visiting NJ please don't hesitate to ask for advise from me either here or on Trip Advisor's Atlantic City, NJ forum which I usually check daily.

Thanks again
    Jerry

Re: Aloha from New Jersey

Howzit Jerry. I hope the islands live up to your imagination! I've met people who are disappointed at the fact that Honolulu is an actual city with actual city problems. Hawaiʻi isn't all lush rainforest and sandy beaches, although if that's what you want you can find 'em easily enough.

Let us know more about what your wants and likes are, and we'll give you the scoop on what you can expect to find here.

Comment

Hi Jerry...yep, what Glen said. We'll wait for more info to go on. Oh, and Hau`oli La Hanau!

Comment

Aloha and welcome to Hawaii Threads! Glad to have you here. Oh yeah, Hau'oli La Hanau (Happy Birthday in Hawaiian)!
        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Thank you all for your responses and well wishes

Comment

Aloha Jerrysnj!
            I'm the designated Jersey Girl of HT. I grew up in Burlington County, spent my summers at Riverdel Swim Club, and when swim team season was over, got in a few weeks each summer on Long Beach Island. Nothing like Jersey Shore sand and seashells, neither of which you will find similar types here. Holy Cross class of 76. I live with my family in Hawaii Kai, near Haunama Bay and Sandy Beach, on Oahu's south-eastern tip. I've been here since 1981.

I wish for you an enjoyable stay in the islands, and visiting HT is one way to get some insight on the not-to-miss places to eat, swim and sightsee!
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Aloha Lavagal, you were about an hour or less away from where I live now when you lived in NJ. My wife also graduated in the class of 1976 but from Atlantic City High School.

Thanks for the well wishes.
              Jerry

Comment

1. Do you surf? Feel free to try surfing somewhere where the waves aren't that big unless you can do the big ones.
                2. Try all of the Hawaiian food you can, especially all different kinds of fish. Mahimahi is so 'ono! (delicious)
                3. Go to a lu'au.
                4. Take a hula class or two if you're not embarrassed.
                5. Try using Hawaiian words like "aloha" (hello/goodbye/love) and "mahalo" (thank you) in your conversations. If you're interested, I will tell you some other words and phrases I know. Studying 'olelo Hawai'i and other languages is a passion of mine.

As far as what to do specifically on the island of O'ahu, I'm not the right person to ask. I've never been there. Only been to Maui. However, ask my best friend, Alana (achow on here). She lives in 'Ewa Beach.
                'Alika

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to say, e komo mai! (Welcome!) Pehea 'oe i keia la? (How are you today?) I wanted to ask you, where in New Jersey are you from? Do you know either Bill Ratcliff or Bill Wynne?
                  'Alika

Comment

Akrauth,
                    I don't know the two people you mentioned. I live about 10 miles from Atlantic City which is on the southeast coast of NJ. For about 15 years I lived in Ocean City, NJ and was within walking distance to the beach.

I have been trying to learn some phrases, aloha and mahalo I have down good but some of the other phrases especially mutiple word ones I have to admit I would get a failing grade. I'm afraid if I try to say something and get it wrong I could end up insulting someone. I don't surf and believe it or not I don't eat seafood, but my wife loves seafood. We are planning on attending at least 1 lu'au and if we're somewhere where hula lessons are being offered I know she'll be pushing for us to take one. I'm looking forward to having a great vacation in Hawaii and appreciate your reply.
                    Mahalo
                    Jerry

Comment

Aloha from another jersey girl. I graduated from Wildwood High in 1976. Small world, huh? My husband and I lived in Ventnor for many years. Moved away in 1989.

Comment

acousticlady,
                        the world just got even smaller. I lived in Ventnor from 1960 to 1974. We rented apartments on Wissahickon, Lafayette and Washington Aves during that time. Right after I first got married I moved back for 3 years from 1978 to 1981 and lived on Calvert Ave in Ventnor Heights before moving to Ocean City. We most likely know some of the same people in town. Good to hear from you.
                        Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by jerrysnj View Post
                          acousticlady,
                          the world just got even smaller. I lived in Ventnor from 1960 to 1974. We rented apartments on Wissahickon, Lafayette and Washington Aves during that time. Right after I first got married I moved back for 3 years from 1978 to 1981 and lived on Calvert Ave in Ventnor Heights before moving to Ocean City. We most likely know some of the same people in town. Good to hear from you.
                          Jerry
                          Ha - very small world. We lived on Hillside in the house my Dad grew up in. After that was sold we moved to Cambridge Ave. - right behind the Water Works. I'll bet we do know some of the same people - much too small of a town not too, especially back in the day. My son used to play with a classmate who lived on Calvert! They went to school on Lafayette I believe (it's been a really long time). I also know lots of people from Ocean City.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrysnj View Post
                            [...]I lived in Ventnor[...]Ventnor Heights before moving to Ocean City.[...]
                            Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                            [...]right behind the Water Works. [...]I also know lots of people from Ocean City.
                            Dang...I feel like I'm in the midst of a game of real life Monopoly right now!

Comment

Working...
                            X