From the Frozen Northeast via Outer Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Frozen Northeast via Outer Space

Aloha! From Massachusetts to Galaxy 26 to Maryland to Hawaii, this old coot is saying a 51,000-mile hello to the good folks at this fine li'l board. I've never visited the Islands, and I know maybe 4 words of Hawai'ian (no naughty ones ), but I've been a lifelong wanabee Hawai'ian, ever since I listened to Hawaii Calls as a young 'un.

This is a change from my usual haunt as an admin at a political board (not for the faint of heart). A respite is welcome.

Time to surf the threads.

Re: From the Frozen Northeast via Outer Space

Hi, Old Coot!
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorDoom View Post
      words of Hawai'ian ... a lifelong wanabee Hawai'ian
      As Susie said, aloha to you, coot. Hawaiian language lesson #1: no `okina in "Hawaiian," as that's an English-language word.

Easy mistake to make, especially by those of us who do it in an attempt to "do right."

Comment

Gotcha. I've seen it both ways with equal frequency on the Web (including on the University of Hawai'i website.

It becomes a discussion point here. It appears to be a matter of formal usage, and it's the same paradise either way.

Comment

Hawai`i - yes, use an `okina (if you want to) - it's a Hawaiian word.
          Hawaiian - no `okina - it's an English word.

I hope you see the distinction.

Comment

Welcome to HT! We have some pretty amazing people here, you will learn a lot.

I can't believe I have never read through that city-data place before but my oh my people should be educated about Hawaiian history on that "Racism in Hawaii" thread. Auwe.
            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei K View Post
              [...]I can't believe I have never read through that city-data place before [...]
              A few familiar names there, too!

Comment

Yep. Mahalo. One is never too old to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Whether or not "Hawai`i" is an English word (I think it is), while many people pronounce a "`" in "Hawai`i", no one pronounces "Hawaiian" with "`" between the two "i"s. At least, I've never heard that. So that's also a reason for not spelling "Hawaiian" with "`" between the "i"s -- it's not pronounced that way.
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                    while many people pronounce a "`" in "Hawai`i", no one pronounces "Hawaiian" with "`" between the two "i"s. At least, I've never heard that. So that's also a reason for not spelling "Hawaiian" with "`" between the "i"s -- it's not pronounced that way.
                    I like that - it also means we can spell words like "nucular," "karioki" and (according to Joe Moore) the town up the road from you as "Kani`oee."
                    Whether or not "Hawai`i" is an English word (I think it is)
                    I'll bite, and reveal my cluelessness here: If "Hawai`i" is the English word for those Islands, what would be the word in `olelo Hawai`i? (And I'm not referring to only Moku O Keawe here.)

Comment

Aloha nui! Pehea 'oe? (How are you?) So what would those four Hawaiian words be? I'm from Maine and am also Hawaiian at heart. Welcome to the board! Feel free to contact me and ask questions. Maybe I'll send you a message later on, hiki? (OK?)
                      'Alika

Comment

Aloha and welcome to Hawaii Threads! Glad to have you here.
                        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by Lei K View Post
                          Welcome to HT! We have some pretty amazing people here, you will learn a lot.

I can't believe I have never read through that city-data place before but my oh my people should be educated about Hawaiian history on that "Racism in Hawaii" thread. Auwe.
                          i'm a former city-data member (although i call it by a different name). the posts/threads are repeated and repeated over and over again. that's one of the reasons i don't post there any more. the other being that "racism" thread and the one about "how blacks are treated in hawai'i." good grief!
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          reflect, repent and reboot.
                          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Whether or not "Hawai`i" is an English word (I think it is), while many people pronounce a "`" in "Hawai`i", no one pronounces "Hawaiian" with "`" between the two "i"s. At least, I've never heard that. So that's also a reason for not spelling "Hawaiian" with "`" between the "i"s -- it's not pronounced that way.
                            It is for this reason is why the word Hawaiian shall never be uttered phonetically this way: Havaiian. It's almost as bad as someone from Hawaii trying to sing Jamaican as in Jawaiian.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

So what would those four Hawaiian words be?
                              Actually, there are a few more, now that I reflect on it. Aloha, of course, plus mahalo, 'ohana and mele (from Mele.com, my CD source). They're all wonderful words to know. Listening to Aloha Joe's webcast is assisting. His sign off, "Aloha a hui hou" added a few.

Pua was picked up from "Pua Karauna" by Brittni Paiva and Melveen Leeds—I bought the CD for that one song. Nene is found in half of the crossword puzzles that I've done. And wahine ... I'm old but not THAT old.

Comment

Working...
                              X