How do you do and shake hands.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you do and shake hands.

Hello, all. My name is of no importance and I currently live in a part of the Continental United States that I really don't have to mention because it's in my information.

In about two to three years, I will be moving with my father to Hawaii. Which part, I don't know...wherever he wants to go, I suppose.
    You see, my father and I made the decision to move in together after being estranged for so many years.
    Is it a bit odd for a 19 year old woman to live with her father? Not at all, it's not as if I'm a leeching lollygagger. I happen to be a hardworking woman who is currently in college studying Mortuary Sciences.
    We don't do well in serious romantic relationships and we "get" each other. Naturally, we want to spend a few years together and I don't have to worry about setting up a family with some hubby, so why not?

I am here to learn. While I did visit Oahu a few summers ago to see my previously mentioned father, who was stationed there at the time, I want to learn more. It's one of my quirks...I am never satisfied with what I learn, I must learn more. More input, I say!
    Apparently, my father fell in love with the place and wants to go back upon his retirement from the Navy...and take me with him.
    I was pulling for going back to New Orleans, but okay.

Now, I'm not your ignorant one who has all of these false assumptions about Hawaii. I like to be worldly and expand my horizons, so I know better.
    Truthfully, I love Hawaii. The culture, both modern and ancient, is pure poetry. It's the epitome of the art of life to me and I adore it, though I would never try to emulate it. That would be a sort of mocking blasphemy and I am content to observe the beauty from the sidelines.

Still, I stick out like a sore thumb there and living there would be such a change in my life. Sure, my move is a few years off, but I want to minimize the culture shock in the meantime. Besides, I'm a lonely person who craves interaction.

So, what do you say? Will you allow me to pick up additional knowledge and interact with you?
    Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Re: How do you do and shake hands...

Welcome to HT! Browse, visit and talkstory...these folks are a great group online and in person! Hope to meet you someday; until then, share on! Will your school be completed by the time you move here?

Comment

Aloha and Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
        Will your school be completed by the time you move here?
        Yes, if all goes according to plan, and I don't see any reason why it should not. I may have to do the apprenticeship part in Hawaii, though.
        Thank you kindly for the welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          Aloha and Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com!!

Auntie Lynn

Thank you, ma'am. It's a pleasure to be here.

Comment

Re: How do you do and shake hands.

Ho man this is the place for you (this forum). You will learn from HT more than you'll ever read about in any text book or journal.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Ho man this is the place for you (this forum). You will learn from HT more than you'll ever read about in any text book or journal.
              You're dead right, Craig. My pouring over books will only prepare me so much.
              Books, as much as I love them, don't really give you a "feel" of what you are studying, you must experience it in some way.

Comment

Put out a call around your part of the Mainland, try to find ex-pats from Hawai`i there, they'll be a great resource for you. Hunt for hula halau in the region, as a start - that can lead you to other gathering points for locals.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Put out a call around your part of the Mainland, try to find ex-pats from Hawai`i there, they'll be a great resource for you. Hunt for hula halau in the region, as a start - that can lead you to other gathering points for locals.
                  Thank you kindly for the advice, Leo. I'll do my best to act on it.

Comment

Not sure where in FL you might be, but there's a list of halau at Auntie Maria's Mele.com website (or just follow this link).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Not sure where in FL you might be, but there's a list of halau at Auntie Maria's Mele.com website (or just follow this link).
                      Again, I thank you kindly for your help. I see that there a few about two hours away. I am a lover of art in all forms, so the two hour drive will be well worth it.

Comment

OH, my gosh!! There's a halau in Myrtle Beach! Thanks, Leo!!

Comment

Ahem....could I ask a question, please?

I was talking to an old friend today and I finally got up the gall to tell her about the future move. She raised an interesting point, telling me that white people get killed in Hawaii for simply being white. The way she put it, she made it sound as though it happens all of the time.

Now, this is a little bit of a dilemma for me. I have spent a few months there and, obviously, I wasn't killed. My father, who spent over four years there, was also not killed or assaulted.
                          If I get a racial slur thrown at me, then whatever. Sticks and stones, and what have you...besides, if you act childish over a simple word, then you're only perpetuating the stereotype. Not only that, but I can grin and bear it because, let's face it, the people associated with me did Hawaii a great injustice.
                          However, I will not put myself in a position where I am in certain danger.

I take my companion's words with a grain of salt because she...well, I won't talk bad about her behind her back. I'll just say that she has a lot of growing up to do. I tend to think that this might be a tactic of hers to keep me from moving. She was upset enough when I moved away from North Carolina.
                          I am also aware that one runs the risk of being killed or hurt wherever one goes. It's a matter of respect, really. Chances are, if you don't give someone a reason to hate you, they won't harm you.

Still, even with those points in mind, I am uneasy and I want your opinions.

Would I really run that much of a risk if I moved to Hawaii?

Comment

"Would I really run that much of a risk if I moved to Hawaii?"

Nope, absolutely nooooo, no way, your friend is wrong.

We have many different races, ages, colors, shapes and sizes here. And most people are color blind. The only folks who make race into problems are not people you want to be around, anyway. And these sorry @ss sort of angry, misguided people are a tiny minority.

I did actually meet one haole girl who claims that her Kalihi neigbors are awful and aggressive to her due to the fact that she is white. Well, upon further chatting with this wayward girl, the truth came out that it was mostly HER starting beef and causing trouble. Totally making A of herself every chance she got. Needless to say, I did not befriend this chick!

Some people! Pay no attention to the maligned, and their stupid attitudes. Nobody is going to harm you based upon your whiteness.
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post

I did actually meet one haole girl who claims that her Kalihi neigbors are awful and aggressive to her due to the fact that she is white. Well, upon further chatting with this wayward girl, the truth came out that it was mostly HER starting beef and causing trouble. Totally making A of herself every chance she got. Needless to say, I did not befriend this chick!
                              Ah, that's often the case. People are blind to their own faults and immediately assume that any hostility is because of their race/age/gender.
                              I suppose it's fortunate for me that I choose not to be like that. It sort of comes with being raised in a family where Southern hospitality is the law of the land.

Some people! Pay no attention to the maligned, and their stupid attitudes. Nobody is going to harm you based upon your whiteness.
                              Thank you kindly for the words, it gives me relief. I figured as much, but I'm a natural worrier.

Comment

Working...
                              X