Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you do and shake hands.

Originally posted by LonLeroux View Post
    [...] Chances are, if you don't give someone a reason to hate you, they won't harm you.[...]
    I fondly call Hawaii the "land of instant karma"...You get back what you put out...As you sow so shall you reap...What you fear is what you attract...yada, yada, yada!

Your friend has a whole lotta learnin' to do.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

Your friend has a whole lotta learnin' to do.
      Aye, that she does. I'm very fond of her, but she never seemed to grow as a woman.
      Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Comment

I'm from FL too, Lon, and here's something -

Before I moved to Los Angeles from FL, I'd never been there. I'd assumed, tho, based on the things I'd read about CA in the news, that I wouldn't even be able to walk to my own mailbox without a taser and baseball bat in my hands! Goes to show what I knew! I lived there happily, even in bad neighborhoods sometimes, made wonderful friends, etc..for 9 years with no major problems. Life and limbs intact.

Just saying, I know that FL (the whole southeast, actually) doesn't get much good news coverage coming into it from the rest of the States, least of all Hawaii. Your friend is sweet to be concerned. My FL friends were horrified when I moved to LA, then my LA friends were horrified when I moved to HI.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I tend to think that this might be a tactic of hers to keep me from moving.
          I think you hit the nail on the head, Lon. Often the people most opposed to our changing are friends and family. They don't like the idea of their lives being altered without them initiating it. Freeing yourself from old dance partners is one reason people move when they feel the need to change.

If she needs to grow up, as you've said, she probably lacks self confidence. Unfairly, she might need more encouragement than you do! It would be nice if she could give you support for your decisions, though, but alas.

On a side note, the five / six hour time difference between Hawaii and the east coast will be problematic for friendships. Hawaii is not only geographically isolated, we're also isolated timezone-wise. Of course if you have a lot of friends in New Zealand, you're all set!
          Last edited by MyopicJoe; May 18, 2008, 10:05 PM.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Aloha nui!

You know what? I may want to live with my 'ohana when I get out of college as well. I understand how you feel. It seems like you love your father as much as I love my parents. Have a safe trip when you go to Hawai'i Nei and report back!
            'Alika

Comment

Aloha!

After reading that post about "being killed for being white" I just had to shake my head. If you come to this State with aloha in your heart, people pick up on it pretty quickly. Hawaii truly is a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities that put together equal "Hawaiian" in my opinion. Thats not to say you wont run into less than nice people here, but you find grouches like that anywhere you go.

I moved to Oklahoma ten years ago, and have recently moved back, and it was culture shock both times! Im still getting used to wearing aloha shirts instead of long sleeves and a tie, hehe !

Its good to hear others healing their family issues since one of the reasons I left Hawaii was to get away from mine. Moving back for me is part of the healing process and so far all is going well. Its amazing what a little time will do.
              "Positive Vibration"
              Since 1977

Comment

There is so much in this post that is right on the mark, but the two parts that stood out for me were:
                Originally posted by rparkerjr View Post
                Thats not to say you wont run into less than nice people here, but you find grouches like that anywhere you go.
                <><><><><><><><>
                Moving back for me is part of the healing process and so far all is going well. Its amazing what a little time will do.
                Thanks for sharing, Jr.

Comment

However, I will not put myself in a position where I am in certain danger.
                  There is the key, and since you recognize that, you will have a much easier time of it. Your can learn a lot in advance of your moving here by reading the online Honolulu newspapers every day and noting about different areas and situations to avoid.

Like all things, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                  X