Hello , I'm new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello , I'm new here

I am Sheldon Hickman ,class of 1983 Kapaa High. I can't wait to figure out all this mess up my brains computer stuffs so I can post some really cool stories.

I now live in Taiwan on the East coast I enjoy building and playing Ukuleles and surfing. I can make a broke da mouth Ahi poki too.

See how Hawaii still influence me to dis day? I have travelled around a bit, and can truly say "lucky you sta Hawaii". Mahalos

Re: Hello , I'm new here

Sup Sheldon Nice to see another local abroad. Enjoy your stay.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

If all of us from Hawaii went back, I wonder if there would even be any standing room?
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.. i gonna try post a spooky story for the 3rd time on the obake pages thread here. I left Hawaii very shortly after the experience and would like very much for some feed back from the HT o'hana. Do try to read it.. I will try later tonight to post again.

I went to Kapaa High (Kauai) was some of the best days of my life, hope to reconnect with some longlost classmates while here too... mahalos

Comment

Thanks for the reply. wow you all the way back to France wow, must be like another planet over there.. life trippy yeah? never dreamed I'd be living in Taiwan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hickman83 View Post
            Thanks for the reply. wow you all the way back to France wow, must be like another planet over there.. life trippy yeah? never dreamed I'd be living in Taiwan.
            Yeah...funny how life unrolls.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Aloha Sheldon! You'll have to give us the run-down on life in Taiwan.

Comment

Aloha nui! E komo mai! Pehea 'oe? I like go he'e nalu ova hee in Maine too. The nalu are pretty good here. I also just started learning to play the 'ukulele. I have a strong love of Hawaiian culture.
                'Alika

Comment

Hey there what is pahea'oe in English? I'm real keen on learning Hawaiian. There are amny similarities between Hawaiian Language and Amis (Amis is one of Taiwan's aboriginal tribes They are NOT Chinese. I swear to God if you dropped them off in Hawaii and they didn't say a word you would think they were Hawaiians. serious

For example: wawahe = wahine
                  Amis Hawaiian anyway you get the idea, same applies to Tagalog and Indonesian

The water is warm here and we get Taiphoon surf in the summer, must be careful and watch da water for a while, they will be perfect 5 footers and then suddenly while you paddle way out a line up will form 15 - 20+!! I almost make that time!!!

Comment

The Amis are the coastal inhabiting tribe and are generally taller than the other indigineous tribes. They fish and collect Limu, but I have not seen any limu Kohu (for poki ) These Amis musicians are very interested in ukuleles I will have to turn them on to one. as far as I know They seem to be the only Pacific islanders without ukulele in local music.

Comment

Almos forget, you guys will love this:

A while back I gave one of the Amis musician guys a Bruddah Iz CD. I am trying to get them to "adopt" the ukulele.

Several months had passed and I bumped into the Amis musician guy at a party.

He doesn't even know the name "Bruddah Iz" All he knows is that he likes the music.

He came up to me at the party and and said something to this effect: "Remember that CD you you gave me ?" "I was driving down the road listening to it on my car's stereo system, so into the music ' I RAN A RED LIGHT!"
                      With both smiled realising "we get em brah".. god bless Iz and Hawaii.

Comment

Oh, Iz is so amazing! As you know, we won't hold him in our hands, but we will always hold him in our hearts. I wish he was still with us...

And "Pehea 'oe?" means "How are you?"

I'm pretty sure that more people know "aloha" and "mahalo" and not that phrase, but I said it because it shows politeness in Hawaiian thinking.
                        'Alika

Comment

Thank you for the Hawaiian lesson. Here the Amis tribe says Makapahai , kind of means "good" , "cool" or beautiful.. what is it in Hawaiian, maka'i or something like that? it escapes me at the moment.

Would you or anybody know about the postioning or arrangement of the "Hawaiian Warrior" tattoo pattern ? you know the little triangles?

I am doing some artwork on a uke as a gift to a very special musician.. any insight would be greatly appreciated..

One more thing ... Malama Pono = ? Mahalos

Comment

Aloha and welcome to HT! Glad to have you here. I like your insights on things. How's things in Taiwan? Keep on posting.
                            Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Pahea oe' what is the literal translation? I'm guessing that it really can't be translated directly into English. I am sure missing Hawaii a lot!!! these days. I am goin to have to get over there real soon. I'ts true there is no place like Hawaii... really. Here is a THC inspired poem I wrote the other day:
                              Bug Crash Investigation

I came across the wreckage of a cicada in the garden today. Charming as a squashed tomato. It looked like it nose dived.
                              The once master of the skies and treetops is now but an empty shell of it's former glory.A few suppostions cross my mind.
                              What happened? Did it zig when it should have zagged? Or was it just a victim of the season and ever turning wheel?
                              The ants have already done their work, they don't waste any time. So long fucker. I had to write this on a scrap of wood , so it wouldn't be forgotten.

That's it hope you enjoyed it.. mahalos for reading

Comment

Working...
                              X