Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from HaoleWrites

Hi all...

New to the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself to y'all. I'm a gay writer living in Los Angeles who would much rather be living in Hawai'i. Most of my fiction focuses on gay characters (though not exclusively) and most has been in the psychological horror vein. Occassionally I dabble in gay erotica and my first published piece in that genre was inspired by and is set in Waikiki.

Anyhow...looking forward to getting to know y'all and making my connection to the Islands while I'm stuck here in Los Angeles.

If ya feel like seein what I'm about, you can always check out my Website or you can catch up with me on LiveJournal.

Mahalo,
    Paul G. Bens, Jr.

Re: Aloha from HaoleWrites

Aloha and Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com! My favorite place to party is at Club Kekais...it's a Gay Bar in Chinatown! Where boys will be girls and girls will be boys! Colorful people. The word gay has true meaning!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hi 1stwahine!

I've never heard of Club Kekais, but then I haven't spent a ton of time in Chinatown. Definitely a place to check out next time I'm in Hawai'i. Thanks for the tip and for the warm welcome.

Comment

Aloha fellow hollywoodite! What brings you to HT?
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Aloha turtlegirl!

Originally, it was a search that led to the post about the Hawaiian language songs in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." Mostly I'm here to keep my connection with the islands, meet some interesting people. I only get to Hawai's once every couple of years, so I need a breath of Aloha from time to time. Plus, sometimes the stories I write are set in Hawai'i and I want to get it right, so I thought maybe I could ask for help from time to time so I don't completely misrepresent the Islands.

Are you orginially from Hawai'i or do you just long to be there like me?

-Paul

Comment

Howdy Paul, and welcome to HT

Feel free to answer which ever questions you want to:

When you visit Hawaii, what brings you here?
            What do you miss about Hawaii?
            Do you write much while visiting Hawaii, and if so, where do you like writing?
            Do you have a writing routine?
            Have you ever met one of your favorite authors?
            Which books do you wish your loved ones would read?
            Which Elder God would make the best roommate, and why?
            What's your guilty reading pleasure (cheesy romance, self-help, etc.)?

Regards,
            MJ
            Last edited by MyopicJoe; June 3, 2008, 11:12 PM.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Hey MyopicJoe and thanks for the welcome!

Oh, good questions...let's see

>>When you visit Hawaii, what brings you here?<<

Hawai'i is where I recharge my batteries. The first time I vistited, from the moment I got off the plane, I immediately felt "home". I've never felt that anywhere else.

>>What do you miss about Hawaii?<<

Just about everything, from the food to POG, to just the ease that kinda washes over me when I'm there.

>>Do you write much while visiting Hawaii, and if so, where do you like writing?<<

I never write when I'm there. I just take it all in, take as many pictures as I can, and just kinda soak in the feel. Hopefully when I do write about Hawai'i, that comes through. I guess I store it like a camel.

>>Do you have a writing routine?<<

I should, but it really is just whenever I'm inspired to write. I find when I force it, the end result is a crappy story.

>>Have you ever met one of your favorite authors?<<

Yes. I kinda wish I hadn't because they were kinda an ass.

>>Which books do you wish your loved ones would read?<<

Oh, wow...so many...Moloka'i by Alan Brennart, Letters to Montgomery Clift by Noel Alumit, I was an alien cat toy by Ann Somerville (though the latter would definitely not interest most of my family).

>>Which Elder God would make the best roommate, and why?<<

Nodens cause he could drive me to work. =-)

>>What's your guilty reading pleasure (cheesy romance, self-help, etc.)?<<

Almost always contemporary horror. Particularly the early works of Poppy Brite. Armistead Maupin is always a comfort read as well.

Cheers!
              Paul

My website

Comment

> the moment I got off the plane, I immediately felt "home". I've never felt that anywhere else.

It's called "humidity"

(just kiddin')

> it really is just whenever I'm inspired to write. I find when I force it, the end result is a crappy story.

Muses are such fickle mistresses.

> Yes. I kinda wish I hadn't because they were kinda an ass.

Yeah, heroes are best worshiped from afar. Not to mention hearing their voice can change how you read their work.

> Nodens cause he could drive me to work. =-)

Hahaha. I'm sure Lovecraft thanked Nodens for pushing his plot over some bumps.

I'd pick Nyarlathotep. I imagine he has great fashion sense and can really hold an audience.
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Long to be here? I am here!

Recently moved here from LA, almost 3 months ago.

Hope you don't live in the valley, I hear that the smoke from the Universal fire was pretty horrible!
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    Long to be here? I am here!

Recently moved here from LA, almost 3 months ago.

Hope you don't live in the valley, I hear that the smoke from the Universal fire was pretty horrible!
                    It's funny, I was just reading your thread on being new to the Island when this replay came through. I hope things are settling in there for you. What made you make the move, if you don't mind me asking.

Oh, no, I don't live in that valley anymore. I used to live in NoHo, about 10 or 12 Los Angeles Blocks from Universal. But my BF and I decided to move intogether and now we're in the completely opposite valley...where it's even hotter.

=-)

Comment

aloha and welcome to ht, HW!

post away. i'm sure you will provide us with some great reading.

by the way, loved night court.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      reflect, repent and reboot.
                      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Thanks for the welcome kani-lehua!

And I don't want to spam anyone with my writing, but there is a ton I have up for free over at my website for those that might be interested.

I'm glad you liked Night Court (and thans for checkin the site). I think that is still the best time I've had in my 20 or so years in "the biz."

Aloha
                        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                          You could smell the burning plastic videotape from 10 miles away.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by HaoleWrites View Post
                            ..and now we're in the completely opposite valley...where it's even hotter.
                            Moreno? Apple? Simi? Nowhere in the San Gabriel's hotter than Woodland Hills. Welcome btw. I'm one of us too. No, the other one.
                            Last edited by sinjin; June 4, 2008, 12:24 PM.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Welcome to HT and make yourself at home! I see you've dabbled more than a bit in the casting arena! I've done a little bit of that myself! When I lived in SoCal, I dabbled a bit in the continuity arena but have long since given up my 871 card.

Comment

Working...
                              X