Outcome of Penance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outcome of Penance

so, sp, since english is not your first language, does that mean that you freelance write in another language?

or does it mean you extensively use a copy editor?
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
      Seeking Penance is tickled blue.
      In the mean time I will work on my spelling. *kicks the wall*
      English is my second language. (Is that plenty enough excuse?)
      Wonderful!
      Good for you. (No need to punish the wall.)
      Plenty, thanks.

What is your first language, if I may be so bold? I'd wager that my spelling in that language would be abominable, and my fluency would be ... well, non-existant. So your English-language skills would surpass my skills in any other language.

Looking forward to hearing your stories.

Check out this thread from last fall - it talks about spell-checking posts on HT, and may provide some ideas for you.

Comment

Seeking Penance is tickled blue. Seeking Penance is male. Seeking Penance welcomes opinions, criticism etc.

I am not easily intimidated. I have heard the worst but I am sure I have not heard all of it yet. I am built to last.
        Das how...go with flow.

Main ting, you have FuN!

Life is Short!

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sup SP. Welcome to HT

SP has a style of writing which takes more work to read. It clashes with the conversational style the journalists and writers here strive for. They know most people are lazy readers, who will skip over an article if it takes too much effort. Mass media writers work hard to develop an eye (and ear) for spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Mistakes which most of us don't even notice, stick out like a sore thumb to them. It bugs them in the same way a mainlander who tries to speak pidgin would bug you.

I have a friend who used to live in NYC but flew every month to the Czech Republic, to conduct an orchestra there. His ear is so well trained, he can't stand pop music. I once played my favorite Sarah McLachlan song for him, and he actually winced in pain:

"Turn it off!"
          "What? What's wrong?"
          "Why does she do THAT with her voice?"
          "Do what?"
          "She <long technical description which goes completely over my head>."
          "Whatever dude. Sounds good to me. You have to admit she looks pretty hawt."
          "Yes. She is attractive."

As Lavagal pointed out, SP said he was a journalist/writer. If he claims to be one of them, the professionals will hold SP to the standard they work under. SP didn't mention English was his second language in his original post. They were left to assume SP was a lazy writer, for which there is no excuse. Hence the reaction.

When SP says, "I am careful with my words.", I believe him (he made the effort to edit his original post). The question is which standard does he hold himself to. As his writing career progresses, he will either take on a more mainstream voice, or he may stake an avant-garde position. This has merit, but there's also a price to pay for being on the cutting/bleeding edge. SP seems tough enough to handle it, and who knows? Maybe in 50 years his style of writing will be common. I used to make fun of l33t speak, but now I use it regularly (within certain circles).

Of course if SP is a forum troll, then "I am careful with my words." has other meanings, but I shall give him the benefit of the doubt

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
          so, sp, since english is not your first language, does that mean that you freelance write in another language?

or does it mean you extensively use a copy editor?
          Good questions, Cyn.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            Of course if SP is a forum troll...
            He'll be given the boot as the ones before him.

They never last on HawaiiThreads.com.

Excellent post, MyopicJoe.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              He'll be given the boot as the ones before him.
              Auntie is so nice, you just know if someone pisses her off enough it'll be scary. I don't want to know where her boot would end up!

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "

Comment

Auntie is so nice, you just know if someone pisses her off enough it'll be scary. I don't want to know where her boot would end up!
                heheheh

K-den. I'll share a lil story with you. Happened this morning.

Well, I go on the corner on Dillingham/N. King/Liliha Street every morning and aftermoon to sign wave. Monday - Friday. I will be going through-out my district in the coming weeks. But on this little corner is my Home Base.

This morning, my volunteer and I walk out and lo and behold...there's a Giant and his dwarfs!! Nah, nah, nah...ha ha ha.

It's Mufi and his volunteers. Ukapila of dem in my corner and all ova my area. He's directly across me.

I took my stand where I normally go and tell my volunteer to do the same....and we started waving and smiling!!

Too funny.

The Mayor was friendly but some of his volunteers were sassy. Especially, the man on the left of me. Must have been a supervisor of a C&C Dept. He neba like be out dea sign waving! LOL All dressed in his Aloha Shirt and Dress Pants looking all futless. Mayor Mufi, he giff um! Smiling in the hot sun and showing Aloha!

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Go Auntie!! Stand your ground!!
                  (Usurpers! They know it's a good spot, 'cause Auntie stands there!)

Welcome, SP. While reading your first post, I gathered that "careful with words" meant being careful in the choice of the word.

BTW, great post, MyopicJoe! (Echoing Auntie Lynn.)

Comment

Thank you, Myopic Joe. Well done!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

His ear is so well trained, he can't stand pop music. I once played my favorite Sarah McLachlan song for him, and he actually winced in pain
                      My ear is mighty well trained, if I do say so myself; Sarah McLachlan is a wonderful singer and a pleasant person to be around. If pop music makes him wince, I can tell you --- the issue is NOT with his ears, but rather his ego.

Comment

mj, your post provides an excellently elegant example of being "careful with words" while concisely capturing the sentiments some of us may have. well done!
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          My ear is mighty well trained, if I do say so myself; Sarah McLachlan is a wonderful singer and a pleasant person to be around. If pop music makes him wince, I can tell you --- the issue is NOT with his ears, but rather his ego.
                          Ha - I second that response - though I can't comment on how pleasant a person she is - never had the pleasure of meeting her.

By the way SP, welcome - see how quickly we stray off topic ?

Comment

I like it rough and dirty.

If I have mispelled a word; punish me. (lol)

**raises hand and asks**

sounds like you may be seeking something else?

**clears throat and sinks in chair**

not.

as tim gunn from project runway would say, "carry on and/or make it work." SP thank you for your creative reply. ditto to myopicjoe's post and good luck auntie lynn with your political aspirations.
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            reflect, repent and reboot.
                            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              If pop music makes him wince, I can tell you --- the issue is NOT with his ears, but rather his ego.
                              Heheh, yeah. He is an interesting guy, but rather cocky.

Sarah McLachlan is a wonderful singer and a pleasant person to be around.
                              She does seem down to earth. My favorite album of hers is Mirrorball, which has live performances. I was tickled pink to learn she sang When She Loved Me for Toy Story 2.

So you got to meet her, Leo? Pretty cool. How did that happen?

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                              sounds like you may be seeking something else?
                              Hahaha. Naughty naughty, Kani
                              Last edited by MyopicJoe; August 6, 2008, 06:48 PM.
                              "

Comment

So you got to meet her, Leo? Pretty cool. How did that happen?
                                In 1995, I went to the wedding (in Guelph, Ontario) of a close friend who is a popular Canadian musician. She had sung backing vocals on a couple of his albums, and she and Ash Sood (her drummer and eventually her husband) came from Vancouver for the wedding. They performed "Ice Cream" at the party afterwards, and we got the chance to talk for a while (she, Ash, the AF & I were the "West Coast contingent").

That was also an interesting trip for the AF & I, as we had only been dating for about three months at the time, but took a week-long cross-Canada driving trip to get there. People told us a trip like that would test the relationship - either breaking us apart or bringing us much closer together. Thirteen years later, we are still together - while the friend's marriage ended about two years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X