Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Housing costs/property taxes

Originally posted by Janette View Post
    O right when we have tax on everything over here in the uk including pay tax on house, food, phone bills, petrols, gas, electrice, just about everything is as tax on it, which I thing I speak for every Uk pple its a dam rip of and bloody dear do.
    You forgot to mention your television sets - do you still have to pay a license fee on your sets (which goes to fund the BBC), or is that no longer the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      You forgot to mention your television sets - do you still have to pay a license fee on your sets (which goes to fund the BBC), or is that no longer the case?

Yes ur right I completely forgotten that sorry and for the money that we spend on it what do they put on but rubbish and repeats. its is madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Janette View Post
        what do they put on but rubbish and repeats. its is madness.
        Yet, we seem to eat up BBC programming here in the U.S., mostly on our public television networks. Put a British accent on the air, and we Americans seem to think it lends an air of authority - never sure why that is, but we often seem to be taken with that accent.

Then again, there's "Coronation Street," which is very popular in Canada. But I apologize - I'm getting us way off the topic here.

Thanks for the confirmation, leashlaws. Here in Seattle, they come due in April & October, so we get statements in mid-February & mid-August.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Yet, we seem to eat up BBC programming here in the U.S., mostly on our public television networks. Put a British accent on the air, and we Americans seem to think it lends an air of authority - never sure why that is, but we often seem to be taken with that accent.

Then again, there's "Coronation Street," which is very popular in Canada. But I apologize - I'm getting us way off the topic here.

Thanks for the confirmation, leashlaws. Here in Seattle, they come due in April & October, so we get statements in mid-February & mid-August.

Bloody hate Coronation Street its film in my home town of Greater Manchester at Granada Studios,, what I give to drop on that progamme,

Comment

Originally posted by owensct View Post

5. If you get a place close to the water you’ll need to do research to get homeowners insurance. Depending on how close to the water it is a lot of companies will not insure the property.
            On NJ shore some beach houses (that cost around $300K - $500K) has insurance wich cost around 20K - 30K a year!!! ... add 15K property tax
            4. If you’re looking to buy a teardown for the land or a vacant lot most lenders require 25% of the asking price down, which can be a hefty amount.
            I think it's common practice everywhere.

Comment

[...]
              5. If you get a place close to the water you’ll need to do research to get homeowners insurance. Depending on how close to the water it is a lot of companies will not insure the property.[...]
              The standards might be a little different for condominiums, altho' I'm not sure. I own a small oceanfront condo in Makaha. We got a direct hit from hurricane Iniki in 1992. I currently have the same homeowner's policy as I did when I bought the place in 1987. Possibly that's because I have yet to file a claim! I know others in the same complex who don't have insurance either by choice or they've been told no. It sounds like those owners didn't look beyond one insurance company. Again, it could be based on claims history, too.

I bought a studio condo last year on the outskirts of Waikiki, across Ala Moana from the ocean...less than a block away. I had no problem insuring it. AAMOF, the association of owners recently voted in favor of mandating that all owners must have the HO-6 policy with minimum coverages set by the board. A lot of research was conducted by a committee before this idea was presented to the association.

I also carry hurricane insurance on each condo. FWIW, I pay approx. $300 per year per condo for the total of both the homeowners and hurricane policies.

Comment

tutusue: What's your condo fee? What's included in condo fee?

Comment

Originally posted by MadRussian View Post
                  tutusue: What's your condo fee? What's included in condo fee?
                  Makaha...339/mo....water, sewer, trash, cable tv, security, grounds maint.; the usual inclusions.

Waikiki...300/mo...same as above with the addition of hot water and central a/c.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    I also carry hurricane insurance on each condo. FWIW, I pay approx. $300 per year per condo for the total of both the homeowners and hurricane policies.
                    Tutu, what is the deductible on the hurricane policy?
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

We have been looking to buy a home also. We live on Helemano Military Reservation (Army) and we pay $2118 a month RENT to live on the base. Contrary to FALSE BELIFS OF THE LOCALS, all MILITARY FAMILILES on the island PAY RENT. If you live in any MILITARY HOUSING COMPLEX, YOU ARE PAYING RENT. Housing is no longer "free" and has not been for a LONG LONG TIME! See http://www.acq.osd.mil/housing/ Real rent, real taxable income added to our check, and taken OUT. It amounts to about $74k each tour. Problem is most stuff here on the north shore that is AFFORDABLE, are 25 year old CONDOS for $220k. Then you have to pay the yearly property tax. We might just stick with renting.... let me know how YOUR SEARCH goes...
                      http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy View Post
                        Contrary to FALSE BELIFS OF THE LOCALS, all MILITARY FAMILILES on the island PAY RENT. If you live in any MILITARY HOUSING COMPLEX, YOU ARE PAYING RENT. Housing is no longer "free" and has not been for a LONG LONG TIME! See http://www.acq.osd.mil/housing/ Real rent, real taxable income added to our check, and taken OUT.
                        IslandGuy, I'm under the impression that the military's "Basic Allowance for Housing" (BAH) and "Cost of Living Allowance" (COLA) are not taxable. What part of the military's leave & earnings statement is the "real taxable income added to our check"?

Originally posted by islandguy View Post
                        It amounts to about $74k each tour.
                        People might have a different impression of the money if we knew how long a tour you're referring to. An 18-month special/deployment tour? The two-year minimum activity tour? The three-year area tour?
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
                        X