Hello! from Phoenix, AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! from Phoenix, AZ

Just wanted to introduce myself and say 'HI'.
    I was born and raised on Oahu, and visited relatives on Molokai and Maui some throughout the 43 years there; moved to Phoenix 6 yrs ago. Class of '77 grad from Mililani High School and attended Honolulu Community College thereafter.

I'm working for a remanufacturing plant now, main plant in S El Monte, CA, I work at their distribution warehouse in Phoenix, selling commercial air conditioning compressors.

My only hobby right now, when funds allow, is target shooting and building/working on/modifying AR15 rifles. Love the platform. I hang out on gunning forums and also try to help those that don't have as much experience with AR15s, AK-47 style rifles, Sig or Beretta handguns.

Looking forward to swapping ideas and stories with you all. Here's two 'shopped pics of me that I have .........

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../IM001476a.jpg
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../IM001477b.jpg

Aloha !!!

(Ryan - thanks for providing this place to hangout in. Looks good!)
    Last edited by Butch003; September 12, 2008, 10:57 AM.
    ===================================

Lifetime fan of the world famous Dallas Cowboys.

Re: Hello! from Phoenix, AZ

Originally posted by Butch003 View Post
    building/working on/modifying AR15 rifles
    Cool. So are you a gunsmith?

A guy I know, on the Big Island, is all into the AK-47. I'm not sure how much of a following it has there, but last I heard the guy was trying to build up enough local interest to convince Gabe Suarez to fly down to teach a class. I guess the school's philosophy is if you're gonna pick one platform in a survival scenario, then pick the most common assault rifle there is (well globally I guess is what they mean. the AR15 is probably more common in America). They're also giddy that the Saiga-12 is based on the same platform. This video cracks me up, when someone goes medieval on the stuffed animals. Coincidently they're based in Arizona.

Anyways. Welcome, Butch
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I've had no formal training to work on weapons, but I've been a very enthusiastic student for about 5 years, pretty much self-taught, with decent mechanical skills and aptitude.
      I recently traded my AK for another AR because of my love for them. This is my first build, named it 'Kana' after my daughter that lives in Wahiawa.

Thanks very much for the welcome, MyopicJoe.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/IM001842.jpg

Comment

Welcome, Butch003! I love Arizona! I have some friends there, and I used to love going down to the Sonoyta border crossing for weekends (occasionally weeks) camping in Puerto Penasco!

The desert is soo beautiful! And the roadrunners, and the gorgeous horizon - painted every color you can imagine, and the yummy yummy tacos, and AZ's awesome live music scene...meeeh, you just made me homesick (mainland sick, really) all over again!
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Thanks, turtlegirl. I also love the scenery here; way different from Hawaii's. I would love to go camping but I haven't gotten used to the idea of sleeping out in the wilderness while possibly being surrounded by big cats, bears, coyotes, snakes, etc. Packs of coyotes have even been spotted near the Macy's store that I frequent, urban Biltmore area.
          I really love the economy and low humidity here. As you probably know, the temperatures get lower this time of year. Feels GREAT right now. See ya around!

Comment

welcome to ht, butch003!
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I've had no formal training to work on weapons, but I've been a very enthusiastic student for about 5 years, pretty much self-taught, with decent mechanical skills and aptitude.
              Cool. As long as you have the passion for it, and you put in hours of tinkering, it's all good.

This is my first build, named it 'Kana' after my daughter that lives in Wahiawa.
              Nice lookin' mods, Butch. Is that a SureFire under the barrel? What's that silvery thing on the side, above the fore grip? What kind of rails are you using? Do the front sights fold down? Do they get in the way of the scope? Which scope are you using? My friend's all giddy about getting an ACOG for one of his rifles.

The dull background contrasts nicely with the shiny rifle. My friend made his own light box, so he could take better pictures of his pistol and knife collection.
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                Cool. As long as you have the passion for it, and you put in hours of tinkering, it's all good.

Nice lookin' mods, Butch. Is that a SureFire under the barrel? What's that silvery thing on the side, above the fore grip? What kind of rails are you using? Do the front sights fold down? Do they get in the way of the scope? Which scope are you using? My friend's all giddy about getting an ACOG for one of his rifles.

The dull background contrasts nicely with the shiny rifle. My friend made his own light box, so he could take better pictures of his pistol and knife collection.
                Light is a Surefire G2 w/ shock-isolating bezel and clicky tailcap. Silver thing is a laser and the rail system is a Daniel Defense M4 7.0. The scope currently on it is a SPOT, to be replaced with an Eotech when funds allow. ACOGs are very nice, though pricey. Front sight is a folding YHM on a YHM gas block; rear is an A.R.M.S. 40L-SP.
                Barrel and parts kit are Bushmaster, receivers are MEGA Machine Shop, carrier assy by LMT, and a Magpul M93B stock.
                Pic was taken on a sunny AZ day in the shade. I have found this way to bring out details better without using a light box, which I don't have. Yet.

Thanks!

Comment

Pic was taken on a sunny AZ day in the shade. I have found this way to bring out details better
                  Nature's very own lightbox One nice thing about Hawaii is it can be overcast and still be very bright. Good time to bust out the camera.

ACOGs are very nice, though pricey.
                  My bad. My friend just has an ACOG clone. He says the real deal is too expensive He likes how the scope looks/works, but he still prefers open sights.
                  "

Comment

Hello Butch003, I also live in Phoenix. Up north near 7th st and Union Hills. I was on the big island for a year and a half working for my current employer from '04 to '06. I loved it there and when I retire in a couple of years I plan to move back. I had a gunsmith business in the early 80s in California but closed up shop because I got real tired of all the BATF interference. Anyway, I'm glad there is another person from Phoenix posting here.

Comment

Hi there, phoenix! You're not that far away from me; I'm at I17/Camelback.
                      You're very correct about the BATF bunch. I hear from my FFL that they're always trying to make things worse. And it's really gonna be a rough ride if Obama get elected. You go to Ben Avery's? I probably will start my shooting season soon since the weather is cooling. Glad to hear from ya!

Comment

Working...
                      X