Aloha From New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha From New York

We are New Yorkers dreaming of the perfect honeymoon in Hawaii. After 10 years, 2 kids, 3 stepkids and 8 stepgrandkids - I'm ready for a Hawaiian honeymoon! We never had one the first time around and are trying to find an affordable way to make our dream come true. We have luau parties, drink Kona coffee and wear flowers to feel closer to the Hawaiian Islands...but it's not quite the same! Our tenth anniversary is coming up and we're really hoping...

Re: Aloha From New York

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Kona Coffee. I wish we could get it in England. Still, I've got some friends on Oahu who send me supplies and I put the packs in the freezer.
    As to the honeymoon and affordable. There are lots of cheap hotels near the International market. You will be out and about most of the time, Waikiki can call to you. All you really want is a clean room and there are plenty there.
    I haven't lived on Oahu for 3 years but I am sure that the members here will help you out.

Have a great time

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by mamasaid View Post
      [...]...and are trying to find an affordable way to make our dream come true.[...]
      I'm not sure if you are asking for input or just making a statement. If the former, have you checked the advertised package tours in the travel section of your newspaper's Sunday edition?

Comment

aloha fellow new yorkers!!!!!!!
        stay forever young

Comment

I checked out the local newspapers and everything seems rather expensive. We want to have a local experience in Hawaii instead of a tourist one, especially since we don't get to travel very often. I figured I might find some good tips here - thanks everyone!

Comment

Just to let you know: everything REALLY IS expensive here! But you can still find good deals is you are patient. Also, you are coming up on peak travel season for Hawaii trips so the price does tend to go up. However, if you can wait til after peak season - the prices do go down.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I can only imagine what Kona coffee tastes like in Hawaii - I picture my husband and I outside a bungalow, sipping our Kona coffee in the morning sunshine and watching the waves with the sand between our toes. Now that's a tenth anniversary celebration
              Try checking into Bed&Breakfasts. You might have luck with one in Kona, home of Kona Coffee. Although, the waves might be viewed from a lava cliff instead of a sandy beach.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

We are New Yorkers dreaming of the perfect honeymoon in Hawaii. After 10 years, 2 kids, 3 stepkids and 8 stepgrandkids - I'm ready for a Hawaiian honeymoon! We never had one the first time around and are trying to find an affordable way to make our dream come true. We have luau parties, drink Kona coffee and wear flowers to feel closer to the Hawaiian Islands...but it's not quite the same! Our tenth anniversary is coming up and we're really hoping...
                Aloha!

I've been to New York twice. Great place!
                'Alika

Comment

For sure...
                  B&B's are the way to go.
                  You get to stay with REAL people, local people instead of fake people in hotels, the price is cheaper, and you get to see the real Hawaii, instead of the tourist traps.

If going to Kauai, google "hale hoomaha" - run by my friend Milton, from the NorthEast (Greenwich, Connecticut), he's up in Ha`ena on Kauai, near to Hanalei, the most beautiful place on Earth! (Besides Kalalau).

If you can't find it online, ask me again.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                    You get to stay with REAL people, local people instead of fake people in hotels..........
                    Sorry, know this is off topic but can't help myself. Fake people? Last time I checked most employees of the hotels ARE real people. And local........

I know what you are trying to say, but imagine if you were to take a job in one of those hotels. Would you want to be called fake because of it?

Yes, I'm a little sensitive on this. My husband worked for many years in resort hotels.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                      Sorry, know this is off topic but can't help myself. Fake people? Last time I checked most employees of the hotels ARE real people. And local........

I know what you are trying to say, but imagine if you were to take a job in one of those hotels. Would you want to be called fake because of it?

Yes, I'm a little sensitive on this. My husband worked for many years in resort hotels.
                      I understand your sensitivity and regret if my words caused you discomfort.
                      I have worked in 'public contact' situations where I had to be something other than my 'real person.' - no smiles, no familiarity - etc. I didn't stay. I'm sure many have no other choice, especially here; you have to meet the expectations of the job.
                      It's been many years since I"ve been in a hotel here, but I hope things are lightening up, and people are allowed to act 'real.'
                      Of course we are all real - my comment was insensitive.
                      And I am not current enough with hotels in Hawaii nei to know if THEIR attitudes have allowed employees to help visitors have a 'genuine' contemporary Hawaii experience. I hope they are.
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I just got back from New York City (Harlem) where I lived for many years. Two weeks before that I was in Hilo. I had no idea where to stay but I got a GREAT deal on Priceline.com It was the first time I have used Priceline. I ended up staying at the Hilo Hawaiian for about 65 bucks (plus tax) a night in a room on the 7th floor with an ocean view. I would be lucky to stay in a Motel6 around here (Colorado) for that. If I can be of any help please let me know!

Comment

bought 100% Kona coffee from Longs Drugs today, $8.99 for 7 oz ('Hawaiian Tradition' brand/says packed for Longs Drugs)...guess with their clout, they can get this lower pricing to its customers....

Getting this for Thanksgiving...never had 100% before, always bought the 10% type...

Comment

Working...
                          X