Aloha from Orange County, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Orange County, CA

Hi everyone. I'm Barb, from Anaheim, a mile from Disneyland. I wish I was a mile from Diamond Head, eh? Oh well, someday, someday...

I will enjoy meeting you here, by reading past posts, to get up to speed on what's going on.

My interests are mainly Hawai'ian music, recipes, plants, travel photos, and the wonderful culture. Oh, I guess I should really just say all things Hawai'ian.

If you get out my way, stop in and say Hi.
    Snowbird

Re: Aloha from Orange County, CA

Howzit and welcome!
    Have you been to Hawai'i? Or planning a trip to come?
    All the bestest and have fun.

Aloha,
    Jeff MM
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

aloha and welcome to the hawaii threads ohana snowbird!!!
      stay forever young

Comment

Hi Barb! before I came home, I was living in Orange - about 2 blocks east of St. Joseph's Hospital, close to "Old Town". Be sure to let us know if you ever come to Honolulu.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hey there! Welcome, from another Southern Californian...I'm up in the San Fernando Valley, I guess about 50 miles northwest of you!

I'm like you...all things Hawaiian interest me, especially BEING THERE!!!! Have you visited there?

Glad to have you aboard!!

Comment

Thank you everyone, for the Aloha and greetings...

Yes, I have been to Oahu and Maui to visit.... I would have never left there, but back in Cali, my kids were getting into trouble, and needed a firm hand.

Shhhhh! I don't like to say this too loud..... (I am planning on moving to the Islands in a few years...) I know most residents never like to hear that, as it's just another haole girl from the mainland. So, don't tell anybody, our secret, ok?

I don't really even know which island I would move to, as I have lots more visiting to do first. Each one seems to have some very good places to live. I like to grow things, so I need a small bit of dirt to do that on. Housing costs are same or cheaper than in OC where I live now.

I'll be retired, from nothing, just retired. And I promise not to be a burden on the State, or wreck anything that's natural, or pollute, or damage an ecosystem.... See, I'm pretty much a treehugger, and like to just hang loose. I will make the smallest footprints that I can, and give more than I take.

Just the Islands smell alone is a big draw for me. Stepping off the plane, I said, oh, this is just like LA!.... Nah-uh! no way does LA smell so good, all over the islands, the smell, the wind, the essence of aloha, it's unique and I crave it.

I can fake it a little here for the time being, with CDs and my flowers, but you who know what I mean, you understand my yearning. And if I get to meet any of you along the way, even better!

Comment

Never heard of Winnetka! I'd better dig out my Mapquest. 45 minutes away! Read my post about Hilo Hatties near me closing... sadness.

Yes, I know Old Town Orange very well! Antiques land... fun times. Hello!

Comment

Happy New Year and Welcome! Love to go to Disneyland but not often enough.
                You sound like a fun person with lots of great interests! Post early and often!
                (A play on the Chicago phrase "vote early and often"). Aloha and a hui hou!

Comment

Thank you, Leashlaws. I'm well acquainted with "vote early and often, being kin to some Chicago politicos... Pops was born and raised there. I like to paraphrase that one too. ;-)

Disneyland is great. I love it, and a coupple of my kids worked there. I go every 10 years; too much traffic and too $$$$ for me! Lunch for 4 is $50!

Comment

Winnetka is a little teeny area next to Canoga Park, and if we were one block north, we'd be in Chatsworth. Also close to Woodland Hills. Am I hitting any towns you have heard of???

We used to call it Canoga Park, and technically, mail delivered to CP will still get here, but we'd rather say Winnetka, as part of CP is not, sahll we say, as "desirable" as it once was...

Boy, I'd love to move to the islands one day, but dunno if I could afford it, and my husband probably would go stir crazy!!! So we'll just have to keep visiting!

Comment

Aloha "SNOWBIRD" and how`s it goin in "OC"!
                      FYI, never mind if you like move here, just remember where you stay and how to adapt to different Island cultures. Cause what you see, all around you is what you living with. You can handle, then more power to you. And no worry, I get plenty trans-plant friends who been here fore years and they all talk da kine. Something you goin figure out, cause not hard after living with a diverse nationality. So, just come on down and enjoy your retirement in the 50th State. Aloha, OGGBOY****
                      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                        Thank you, Leashlaws. I'm well acquainted with "vote early and often, being kin to some Chicago politicos... Pops was born and raised there. I like to paraphrase that one too. ;-)

Disneyland is great. I love it, and a coupple of my kids worked there. I go every 10 years; too much traffic and too $$$$ for me! Lunch for 4 is $50!
                        I was born in Chicago on the west side in a rather undesireable area that
                        could be described as what it was, the ghetto. The orphanage is not there
                        anymore but the address still is. I ended my living in Illinois in Evanston.

We went to Disneyland in 2006 & 2007 and had a blast. You are right is is
                        expensive but we saved up. We spent a lot of time at Catal in downtown
                        Disney drinking martini's and eating pupus!

Comment

Chatsworth? Canoga Park? Yeah, I know that whole area, but never have a reason to go there... You like it? Too much fires lately, your side of LA. Hey, my side too!

Oggboy... thanks for not hating.. I can hang there, and I will be a good neighbor. I generally like everybody, and think they like me too.

LL- my Pops, he was a southsider in the 30's. It's all different, anywhere you go. They say you can't go home again. Well, you can, but it's usually not the home you remember.

I have moved to different states (3 others) and each time when I moved back to OC, where my parents lived 50+ years, the place is different. My parents' home, it's the same, 'cause they haven't changed it, except it's dirtier.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                            Never heard of Winnetka!
                            Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
                            Winnetka is a little teeny area next to Canoga Park, and if we were one block north, we'd be in Chatsworth. Also close to Woodland Hills.
                            You need to make a "bigger noise," I'd guess. (Music joke. Someone here is bound to get it. Even if the song is about the town in Illinois.)

Comment

Welcome and aloha, Snowbird! I like to get dirt under my fingernails, too, and I am limited to scratching about in window boxes at this time....condo living and all. But I 'm kinda glad of the potting soil, because Hawaiian red dirt is like no other dirt (and I am familiar with the red dirt in Georgia and North Carolina!)

Comment

Working...
                              X