Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Austin

Aloha Everyone!
    I've been enjoying everyone's post for some time now and want to introduce myself.
    I live in Austin, TX. I will be visiting Oahu in August with my hubby and
    2 beautiful daughters in August so any suggestions on places to visit,
    eat, things to do with kids will be appreciated.

Mahalo!

Re: Aloha from Austin

Aloha from Cali, Alyvia! I'm new here too. You're gonna love it. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I have learned a lot in my few weeks on HT. it's fun meeting new people who share a love of Hawaii.

You will get lots of great suggestions for your upcoming visit. Take a look around and see the threads that will help you make travel decisions... the PHOTO thread may soon become your favorite, as it is mine!

Snowbird, barb

Comment

Originally posted by Alyvia View Post
      [...]...any suggestions on places to visit,
      eat, things to do with kids will be appreciated.
      Welcome to HT!

We'll need more info in order to help you.
      ...what area of Oahu are you staying?
      ...how old are your kids?
      ...what types of food do you like? Dislike?
      ...will you have a car or will you rely on The Bus?
      ...what types of activities does your family enjoy?

Comment

Oddly, my daughter is moving from here to Austin this week.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

*waves*

aloha and welcome to the HT ohana
          stay forever young

Comment

Howdy, Alyvia.

I don't have much advice on the matter, but in general I'd say spend more time on the non-O'ahu islands, unless you folks are really into the military/WWII stuff.

Have fun, when you folks finally get here.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Aloha Alyvia! Some depends on what you and your family are like and what you would like to experience. I took my brother and his family on a boat tour that included Whale and dophin watching and snorkeling. They all said it was the highlight of their trip. My youngest nephew was just short of six and I believe the outfit we went with cited the youngest age they would accept as six. We had spinner dolphins within six feet of us in the open ocean while snorkeling, humpback whales within 50 feet of the boat and good sized schools of fish and a couple of sea turltes at a reef they let us snorkel at. Kinda depends on your capacity to be out of the boat in open ocean, but it was my 5 nieces and nephews first time, ages 5 through 18, and they absolutely loved it. Here's the link: http://www.sailhawaii.com/

Comment

Before you leave Austin, drive out to Fredericksberg and check out the Nimitz Museum for some background on the Pacific War. It will help ground you before visiting Pearl Harbor.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Aloha and welcome! We've got a goal to visit Austin sometime to eat, listen to music and see the BATS!!!!! It is a dream trip for us sometime in the future!
                  Take care and keep on posting! A hui hou -

Comment

Thank you all for the nice welcome.

...what area of Oahu are you staying?- Waikiki
                    ...how old are your kids? 4 & 6
                    ...what types of food do you like? Dislike? hubby is burger & pizza kind of guy but I'm not picky. Would love to grab some good dim-sum in china town tho
                    ...will you have a car or will you rely on The Bus? we might rent a car for a couple of days to drive out to north shore
                    ...what types of activities does your family enjoy- will probably spend lots of time at the beach, would love to see luau

Can't wait til August!

Comment

Thank you all for the nice welcome.

...what area of Oahu are you staying?- Waikiki
                      ...how old are your kids? 4 & 6
                      Ok...that makes a big difference in my response!
                      Honolulu Zoo
                      Waikiki Aquarium
                      Children's Discovery Center
                      A beach day at the lagoons at Ko`olina
                      Waikiki Trolley
                      I'm sure others will add their favorites!
                      [/COLOR]...what types of food do you like? Dislike? hubby is burger & pizza kind of guy but I'm not picky. Would love to grab some good dim-sum in china town tho
                      I'll leave this one up to Auntie!!!
                      [/COLOR]...will you have a car or will you rely on The Bus? we might rent a car for a couple of days to drive out to north shore
                      ...what types of activities does your family enjoy- will probably spend lots of time at the beach, would love to see luau
                      Paradise Cove Luau
                      While there are luaus in Waikiki, the setting at Paradise Cove is gorgeous.
                      Can't wait til August!
                      Have a wonderful time.

Comment

Tutusue all the places you suggested sounds great. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Ah, Austin! My favorite city in Texas. GREAT music scene and the best fajitas I ever had. I used to have family in the area, and I used to work with a Pfluger (not related to THAT Pflueger in Hawai`i, as far as I know), after whose family Pflugerville was named - a town made famous by The Austin Lounge Lizards.

Do they still do the annual tug-of-war?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Ah, Austin! My favorite city in Texas. GREAT music scene and the best fajitas I ever had. I used to have family in the area, and I used to work with a Pfluger (not related to THAT Pflueger in Hawai`i, as far as I know), after whose family Pflugerville was named - a town made famous by The Austin Lounge Lizards.

Do they still do the annual tug-of-war?
                            Lived in Austin for only 2 yrs so not sure what tug-of-war is.
                            Love it here so far but would rather live in Hawaii...maybe one day.

Comment

Lived in Austin for only 2 yrs so not sure what tug-of-war is.
                              It was a huge North Austin-versus-South Austin tug-of-war, that took place annually across Town Lake (the Colorado River as it runs through the center of town). But the qualifications of "North" and "South" Austin were wide open to interpretation, as competitors came from all over the world to join in - you just had to specify on which side of the river you lived.

The bubbas of the South generally won.

Comment

Working...
                              X