Aloha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha

Hi! I'm new here and I am from Florida! Well actually I am from Massachusetts and Florida I guess. It has been about half and half and I still visit the MA as much as I can because of my extended family...all of it

Background: I am Haitian- American, but my friends and family like to tease me and say I'm "white" on the inside. Which I won't argue. The way I dress, carry myself, speak and my interests. I wouldn't trade me for anything though. My family, extended, and I are very close. I love my mother and father, but most of the time I don't like them very much. My mother is the last of 8 and my father is the oldest of about 12, so far. His dad was...well, his dad. Anyway, I am one of 4. I have an older half sister, a younger brother who looks like my twin, and a younger half brother...yes my dad is like his.

A lot of people who know how I grew up do not understand how I have come out of it with my personality because I am genuinely nice and giving and I get my feelings hurt easily, but would rather have honesty and get over it than being lied to or spared my feelings. I am bubbly and though I would rather get my feelings hurt, I can't manage to hurt other people's feelings; whether I like them or not.

I am now a student at UF and about to graduate in December, if everything goes well. I am studying Advertising, but I want to be a photographer. I love it along with music, writing and sports (tennis, soccer and swimming). I don't know what I would do without any of it. It's my escape.

I was forced to take this semester off due to unfortunate circumstances and it gave me A LOT of free time to think about what I want to do with my future. I honestly believe that this is the time to go for it and I have wanted to live in Hawaii my whole life, literally. I can't remember a time when my cousin and I wouldn't sit in our forts made out of blankets and pillows in the living room and talk about moving to Hawaii.

So, I have come here to research and find out as much as I can about the islands. I know that I won't learn as much as if I were living there, but I'm young. I have time and I am a quick learner, and one of my best friends is currently there for an internship and I will be visiting.

I already know that I prefer the islands Kauai and Molokai but I am still looking into all of the islands and keeping my options open.

OK, I think I am done. If I have left anything out please let me know!
    aloha!!!
    Dream a dream. Wake up and make it happen.

Re: Aloha

Welcome to HT. What is it about Kauai and Molokai that has attracted you?

Comment

Hello and Welcome. You will get the best advice from really friendly people on here. I am an outsider and live in England but I have worked on several of the islands. If I had to make a choice as to which island to settle down on,,,, then it would be Oahu. A 2 bed condo near to Waikiki, in easy walking distance of the International market. (The breakfasts there are superb).
      That would be my choice. I wouldn't own a car 'cause the bus transport is excellent. Then I would sit on the beach behind Dukes statue, swim and read all day long until that gorgeous sunset sent me back home.

Good luck

Barry

Comment

Aloha, followurheart. Welcome! As you love photography, check out the HT Photo thread... I believe we are up to vol. 5? There are so very many fantastic photographers here at HT, from amatuer to professional... all are welcome to contribute. It's my very fave thread.

I tend to agree with Barry... Oahu is SO nice! I also love Waikiki and the International Market area. Not yet been to Molokai or Kauai...

See you around then!
        barb

Comment

Well I haven't been to either but from my research, there are less touristy areas than Oahu. Though, do not get me wrong, I am def open to all of the islands, i just want something small and quite. Not quite suburban, but not too far from those touristy fun areas and where there is a lot to do. I still have yet to go, but we shall see. And who knows... really the important thing is getting a job for me... so if I am offered a job on Oahu, better believe that I would take it. Even in a touristy area; which is not my style.

I will def check out the photo thread. I have pictures from here in Palm Beach and a bunch of places here in FL. Can't promise I will post just yet, but I will eventually.

Comment

Molokai isn't known for it's touristy fun areas or even for it's suburbs. It's rural from one end to the other but Random can fill you in better than I.

Comment

Another thing to consider about Molokai - there are almost NO jobs there, especially for a newcomer. Unless you are maybe a doctor or teacher? There is no "night life" - no movies, no clubs - maybe a bar or two.

For a newcomer, Oahu is really the best place to be as far as opportunities go. and we have a high unemployment rate right now too.

With a recession in full force - if it were me, I would not be thinking of moving to Hawaii right now. and as an example of rents? I live in a 350 sq ft studio & pay over $900 rent! and that is UN-furnished!

I don't mean to discourage you from your dream - but, please really think your move through. As a university senior, you have lots of time to make a huge decision like this move. and yes - a visit here is a great idea. Also, suggest you go online and check the newspapers etc. for "real" information to help with your decision making process.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                With a recession in full force - if it were me, I would not be thinking of moving to Hawaii right now. and as an example of rents? I live in a 350 sq ft studio & pay over $900 rent! and that is UN-furnished!
                And that's just for starters. Then there's the cost of food, etc.

I wouldn't recommend moving out here unless you had a firm job offer in hand.

Another thing to be aware of - to point out the obvious, Hawaii is surrounded by a great big moat that costs money to get across. It's not like the mainland where if you're really desperate, you can pack everything in your car and drive on to another city or state. If you run out of money here, you're stuck.

Comment

Why not come out for a visit, when you can afford to and suss things out for yourself. ie,,, job situations, where you want to be,,, cost of accomodation,,, etc.

You have got lots of time in front of you. At the moment Britain and the US of A are in an ecconomic decline, so you might be wise to take your time on this decision.
                  I'm not backing off one bit from my advice. Oahu has got to be seen and from what you have descibed as an ideal place,,,,, then Honolulu.

(Lol. Even if you have to pitch a tent up on Diamond Head).

Comment

Welcome and aloha! Definitely follow the advice listed above; be ready financially and job-wise before you come out here, or you may find yourself posting on the homeless thread!

The culture change from the mainland, esp the Southeast, is tremendous. I cannot emphasize this enough. Please make a trip to visit first, and don't spend your time in Waikiki. That's for tourists, and you don't plan to be one. (We moved from South Carolina.)

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice. I actually have thought about the move a lot. And I do know about how expensive it is to live out there, for sure. Not only from my research, but one of my best friends is already there. And I would not move anywhere without having a stable job already in hand. I like to have a plan...for almost everything. I may not even move over there until after I teach English in France. It is a program my sister is doing right now in Korea and I am pretty positive that it is something I would be interested in right now, especially because of the recession.

Oh and I keep forgetting that you guys don't know these things about me, but also I am not a touristy type of person. When I visit I will go see some of those things (like Waikiki) w. my best, but I just don't like things too touristy. And like I said, I'm not making any decisions on which island. Oh and I am not too worried about the culture shock...I am a young black haitian american from boston who moved to florida and travels not only to haiti but france and spain and, of course, within the US. So I def am not too worried since I am pretty versatile and like i said, i do thorough research (so i don't insult anyone by accident or anything like that.)

Again, thank you everyone for your help and I look forward to talking to everyone even more.
                      Last edited by followurheart; March 8, 2009, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Aloha hard!
                        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X