Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

From the old saying *trippin down memory lane* which is what i was dreaming of doing when i found this place several months before actually getting to come back to Oahu and really *trip down*.
    Last edited by memorylane; May 23, 2005, 10:32 AM.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      How did you settle on it, and what significance or meaning does it have for you?

In the late eighties and early nineties, my handle was Proginoskes, after a character in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wind in the Door. Just before I got out of college, I changed it to Scrivener--it seemed more in keeping with who I'd become online.

In the days before photocopiers, legal documents that had to be duplicated were hand-copied by people called scriveners. Literally, a scrivener is someone who writes. I took the name from Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener, a story I hate but a title I love.

So where'd you get yours?
      I assumed it was from the military base there on Oahu, lol.
      If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

j-dub is my stage name if i ever decide to become an MC...i think everyone should have a stage name for if they ever decide to become an MC ...
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

I always use kupomog as my forum name, if I don't use my e-mail that is. A mog, or Moogle is a creature from the Final Fantasy video games, and they always say "kupo!" I loves my FF games.

Moogle/Mog --->
          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

19th century painting great Paul Cezanne.

Comment

My older brother gave me this name when we first logged onto AOL 10 years ago *shivers*. I always used this name because I couldn't think of any other names, but now I have 3 or 4 of them (and I wish I can change it, but people already know me by this name)

And no, the 1456 doesn't stand for anything, the name is just part of my first name (Adrian).
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Peshkwe is Aniishinabeg for a kind of a plain little bird that does acrobatics and has a big mouth. It goes by a couple of different common names, Nighthawk or Bullbat...but it's neither a hawk nor a bat.

Kinda suits me being neither 'this' nor 'that' ...just me.

Comment

Mine is a mixture of my middle name that I use more than my first name and my tutu's Hawaiian surname. Everything else I wanted to use was taken and this was the only other thing I could think of at the time.
                  I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful, LeiKaina!
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; May 26, 2005, 09:34 PM.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I got turned onto geocaching. It's a sort of hide and seek game using GPS receivers. Good fun. So I had to have a player name and "Buddy" rhymes with my last name. Someone already had it and "Buddy 1" didn't make sense so...Anyways check out these two sites. www.geocaching.com and the "GPSHawaii" part of Hawaiithreads.com. Aloha, Buddy2
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

My second email address, which I had for quite sometime was with lavanet. I started doing some eBaying and decided to call myself Lavagal. I've since moved on to Roadrunner, but I like Lavagal as a nick name because it evokes Hawaii. I'm originally from South Jersey and lived there until I left home at 17. I've lived in Hawaii since 1981, 24 years this summer.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Well, since I'm really new around here, this may give you a bit of a look into my psyche. (Run the other way now while you still can!)

(You have been warned!)
                          "Point Break" was a silly but entertaining Keanu Reeves movie that I've always enjoyed. It fits here because it came out just before I moved to Hawaii the first time, so it gave me my first look at what a surfing culture might be like, and, Keanu, so I'm told, was a local boy.

It's also the reverse of "breakpoint" which is a stop in program exceution that gets set when you are debugging code. I was also just getting heavily into technology when I moved out here, so it fits for me on both levels.

That's about it from the "Dept. of Useless Information" for now!
                          "Remember, where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

Comment

Actually, I don't think Keanu ever lived in Hawai'i. I think he was raised in Canada. His dad is a local boy, though, and is still in the islands.

Comment

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out, Glen. I wasn't %100 sure.

You can never tell. Seems like Hawaii people are all over. I worked with one for a couple of years in New York.
                              "Remember, where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

Comment

I use 'Tiger Beer' on the many ESL and Korean expat message boards online.. stuff line www.eslcafe.com and the others.

Originally got the name from a local beer thats common in many Southeast Asian countries like Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc. TIGER BEER.

Comment

Working...
                                X