Hola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hola

That means hello, or should I say Aloha, in Spanish. I just want to introduce myself. My name is Angel. I am a REALTOR in Henderson, NV (The 9th Island?) My sister lives in Waianae along with her husband, and my brother (I tease them about being the only Mexicans on the Island). My family and I visited them recently, and fell in love with Oahu. We've also been to Maui and Kauai before, but this time around, we REALLY liked what we saw, and as such, are considering moving there. Although I am a REALTOR, my work experience includes over 26 years as a Phoneman (Cable Splicer/Installer) I have applied with Hawaiian Telcom, as they have 2 positions available that I qualify for. My wife's backround is in City Government, mainly dealing with Housing issues. She's applied to some positions with the State, as well as with the city, and county. If any of you have any thoughts, or advice, they are welcome.
    Gracias, or should I say Mahalo...

Hola, Que tal?

Originally posted by Angelito View Post
    That means hello, or should I say Aloha, in Spanish. I just want to introduce myself. My name is Angel.
    Gracias, or should I say Mahalo...
    Mi Español es muy... uh, poquito? (How do you say rusty?) Pero, aloha oe!
    We are a very mixed group here (sometimes even very mixed-up), but because we are who we are, I'm certain I can speak for us all when I say you are welcome here.

Probably more people here understand the Hawaiian idiom rather than the Spanish, but, whatever. We're most times a laid-back, accepting group, each a minority in their own right, and tolerant of others.

Best of luck in your job search! Although positions are slimmer than in past years, employers will sit up and pay attention to people who are not afraid to work! We have a lot of homeless and related unemployment situations here currently, but somehow, in spite of the public image, people ARE able to find employment.

Welcome to Hawaii Threads, and welcome to the islands.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: Hola, Que tal?

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      Mi Español es muy... uh, poquito? (How do you say rusty?) Pero, aloha oe!
      We are a very mixed group here (sometimes even very mixed-up), but because we are who we are, I'm certain I can speak for us all when I say you are welcome here.

Probably more people here understand the Hawaiian idiom rather than the Spanish, but, whatever. We're most times a laid-back, accepting group, each a minority in their own right, and tolerant of others.

Best of luck in your job search! Although positions are slimmer than in past years, employers will sit up and pay attention to people who are not afraid to work! We have a lot of homeless and related unemployment situations here currently, but somehow, in spite of the public image, people ARE able to find employment.

Welcome to Hawaii Threads, and welcome to the islands.
      Thanks for the welcome!

Comment

Re: Hola

Welcome, Angel, Bienvenidos from Anaheim. This is a great group of people here. We are Ohana- family.

best of luck on your job search and relocation.
        barb

Comment

Mucho Gusto - nice to meet you! Welcome to HT
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
            Welcome, Angel, Bienvenidos from Anaheim. This is a great group of people here. We are Ohana- family. best of luck on your job search and relocation.
            Anaheim, home of the Los Angeles Angels, wow. I grew up in Santa Monica. We get alot of snowbirds here in the desert.
            Thank you for the warm welcome...

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            Mucho Gusto - nice to meet you! Welcome to HT
            Thanks, it's great to be here (finally)

Comment

Diego, owner of Maria Bonita's, this mexican place in chinatown makes some real good food. I keep trying to get him to make Pozole. We need more good smaller restaurants like that here.
              n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                Diego, owner of Maria Bonita's, this mexican place in chinatown makes some real good food. I keep trying to get him to make Pozole. We need more good smaller restaurants like that here.

My sister lives in Waianae, and there is a little joint there called Tacos and More. Both my sister and brother swear by that place. The owner is from Mexico City, which is where my brother and I were born. We did not get a chance to eat there while we were visiting, but they told me the owner makes good Pozole. We were not on the island long enough to get withdrawals for GOOD Mexican food. We did eat at Cholo's on the North Shore though, but I will save my review for later.

Comment

aloha - welcome to the HT ohana
                  stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                    aloha - welcome to the HT ohana
                    Thanks, it's good to be here on HT.

Aloha everyone, just wanted to give you an update. I haven't heard from the Telephone Company, but my wife did get a letter from the State and they are interested. She is just waiting for them to schedule an interview. Wish her luck!!!

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                    Good luck, Angelito! Glad to hear things are moving along.
                    Thank you!!!

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    Buena suerte a su esposa. Bienvenidos a paraiso.

Monomanumonuia o'e eku uaifi. Malihe o Hawai'i.
                    Thank you, hopefully everything goes well and we'll be there soon!

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    if you're still looking for Mexican restaurants, try Just Tacos Grill & Bar in Mililani. They are a full restaurant, great food and they have over 130 different tequilas at the bar! I think the owners came originally from Guadalajara.

I'm sure once we get there(hopefully) we will be having withdrawals, so the search will be on. 130 Tequilas, definitely want to try them all...
                    Thank you,

Comment

Good luck, Angelito! Glad to hear things are moving along.

Comment

Buena suerte a su esposa. Bienvenidos a paraiso.

Monomanumonuia o'e eku uaifi. Malihe o Hawai'i.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

if you're still looking for Mexican restaurants, try Just Tacos Grill & Bar in Mililani. They are a full restaurant, great food and they have over 130 different tequilas at the bar! I think the owners came originally from Guadalajara.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Ok, you guys made me hungry.... and thirsty! In Anaheim, The best Mexican food, not made by myself, is El Patio #2.... Muy delicioso. I'll be stopping by tonight after work.

Happy to hear your esposa has had some luck; you will too.
                            barb

Comment

where is that located? I lived on No. State College Blvd. for a couple of months, then moved to Santa Ana. and of course, there were a LOT of good restaurants there - and in Orange. There was one especially good one - located in a little house, across the street from Chapman College. Can't remember the name but their food was muy delicioso!
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X