Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Kauai

Aloha everyone,

Just joined because I was looking to see what others are planting this fall in their gardens, but was struck by "Susie"'s post on moving to Molokai. She is long gone by now, it looks like.

I live on Kauai in an old plantation-era home in an older neighborhood. I spent years planning my family's move and it has made all the difference. The people of Kauai have welcomed us (which astounds me every day) and the Aloha here is unsurpassed by any of the places I have lived on the mainland. There are many times I have walked out of my home and come back with armfuls of fruit from my neighbors. So, I am learning to can preserves.

Being on the Garden Isle, I am interested to know what crops people grow too. My vanilla is going off! But my tomatoes are pretty sad looking.

I love it here, and despite the problems we face on this island, I would never ever leave it for the mainland. I'd live on the beach before I would go live in a mcmansion on the ML.

I hope this post does not wrongfully encourage people like "Susie" to just pack up and move here. It is not for everyone---especially those who have not even visited. Visit, visit again, visit once more. Then stay for a month at a minimum before you even consider it. If you cannot afford to do that, then you cannot afford to live here either. It takes a commitment in the beginning especially.

The really funny thing about Susie's post was that she said she was used to traveling 45 minutes to get groceries - so she was used to rural life. I had to laugh. We don't have to travel that far - but "getting groceries" is not exactly what I would call going to a little store like Sueokas or Ishihara. You go for raw ingredients - basics like fish and greens - not boxed mac n'cheese or other things that have to be shipped in. I watch people at these stores - visitors are buying what they are used to getting at big stores (stuff in the middle isles) - folks who live here are shopping at the perimeter (fish, veggies, meats).

Just my observations thus far. One malahini wahine's take on living Kauai. Hope it does not offend anyone.

Re: Aloha from Kauai

Welcome to HT, Vanilla. I love the old plantation era homes. Lucky you!

Comment

I've been wanting to go back ever since I left.
      I think I left my heart behind.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        I've been wanting to go back ever since I left.
        I think I left my heart behind.
        Just think, Tony Bennett could have sung it as:

"I left my heart in Hanapepe..."

Yeah, I *heart* Kauai, too.
        Aloha, Vanilla-- welcome to HT!
        To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Welcome to HT!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Welcome to HT, Vanilla. I love the old plantation era homes. Lucky you!
            Yes, lucky me indeed! Nice to meet you!

Comment

Aloha from Lihue!
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Howdy from Texas! Never got the chance to island hop while we lived there (Oahu), but when we go back (because we WILL. We WILL, dammit) I am definitely going to head to Kauai and experience all the wonderful things everyone keeps talking about. Your plantation-era home sounds lovely, and I hope your crops do well this season. I can imagine you sitting in a field of vanilla, wearing an old 1860's-style ballgown, typing to us on your laptop.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Aloha from Waimanalo.

Just was in Kauai for my nephews 1st birthday party. Freakin nice over there.

Comment

Hello, and welcome to HT. Wow, Kauai, nice. You growing vanilla orchids? That's very cool.

Enjoy the Ohana here; great folks!

barb

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                      I can imagine you sitting in a field of vanilla, wearing an old 1860's-style ballgown, typing to us on your laptop.
                      OMG that is so funny! LMAO! I have to go out there today and coax it off the roof ---it grew so much while I was indoors attending to my business!

Comment

Thanks Barb! The people here are amazingly kind to us.

No place else I would want to live - except now they say they're going to put a dump in my backyard at Umi. I feel for the people of Brideswood in Kalaheo - I wonder why nobody is talking about this yet here....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                          Aloha from Lihue!

Aloha from Kalaheo!

Comment

Working...
                          X