Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Reno Nevada

Aloha,
    Glad I found this discussion board! Love visiting Hawaii, as my family (wife, 2 children ages 9 and 10) has been going back frequently for the last 10 years. We seem to be meeting more and more people who are from there, or who have lived there, and becoming more interested in the Hawaiian culture and lifestyle. Now that I've started standup paddleboarding and surfing, I love Hawaii even more! I am considering transitioning into early retirement with part-time work (20 weeks a year) in the next 3-5 years, and am exploring the possibility of living part of the year in HI. I can understand living there and being a visitor are completely different, but I would hope by being on this discussion board we can get a better taste of what it would be like to live there. Mahalo, and I look forward to future discussions.

Re: Aloha from Reno Nevada

Welcome. I've always preferred Reno to Las Vegas, even if I have never there with much money in my pockets.

Comment

Both are very brown and arid, but Reno is at least close to Tahoe. On some parts of the lake, on a warm summer day, where the water is very blue and clear, if I squint my eyes and pretend the conifers are tropical trees, it looks like Hawaii!

Comment

As someone who comes to Reno a lot, if you need to try some Hawaiian plate lunches, I'd suggest trying the L&L on Kietzke and Virginia.

Had lunch there today with daughter and grandson. Prices are reasonable and I can vouch for their lau lau - lots of fatty pork in it. Macaroni salad is a bit al dente for me, but that's not so bad.

Imagining Tahoe with coconut trees is good; eating Hawaiian plate lunches is mo bettah.
        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I love Reno & Tahoe area. My dad worked many years for the phone company & lived in Sparks. I actually lived out in Lovelock for about 4 months. and my best friend lives in a (semi) new development just off the Mt. Rose Hwy. It's a very pretty area.

Welcome to HT!
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            I love Reno & Tahoe area. My dad worked many years for the phone company & lived in Sparks. I actually lived out in Lovelock for about 4 months. and my best friend lives in a (semi) new development just off the Mt. Rose Hwy. It's a very pretty area.

Welcome to HT!
            Yes, my fantasy life would be living in Reno/Tahoe summer and winter (cannot give up my skiing) and Hawaii in Spring and Fall. Maybe someday.....

Comment

Welcome to HawaiiThreads. I returned from a trip to Nevada yesterday. Spent half a day in Reno, as well as flying in and out of there. Stayed in Fernley during the night and traveled to the Gerlach-Black Rock Desert in the day.

Comment

I don't know if the Reno Airport is still the same, but all the times I flew out of there I used to just close my eyes while they banked the plane to miss the mountain!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Went to the Reno Air Races over the weekend with grandkids. Held at Stead Field, 20 minutes north of downtown Reno. First time for us.

Old / new civilian and military planes and antique cars on display. Great touchy-feelies for the kids. Plus the Blue Angels.

The Blue Angels with Fat Albert, their Hercules C-130 cargo plane. What a show . . . those Thunderbirds flying over Hickam can't have anything over them. Full disclosure: I was in the Navy.

I may make these air races an annual event. A mite inconvenient if I lived in Hawaii. BTW the air races in and of themselves played a small part in the total experience.
                  Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    Welcome to HawaiiThreads. I returned from a trip to Nevada yesterday. Spent half a day in Reno, as well as flying in and out of there. Stayed in Fernley during the night and traveled to the Gerlach-Black Rock Desert in the day.
                    Wow, from Honolulu to the Black Rock Desert-- I can't imagine too many people doing that voyage. What did you do there? You missed Burning Man Festival by just a couple of weeks.

Comment

I was part of a group that attended ARLISS.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        I was part of a group that attended ARLISS.
                        That looks pretty cool.... my 10 yr old son loves rockets.... maybe he'll be joining you one day!

Comment

Working...
                        X