New and Glad to Be Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and Glad to Be Here!

Hello! I am very glad to find this site.

My husband and I have been planning a move to Hawaii for 10 years now and I am so happy that we are finally seeing some progress in our plan. I am currently finishing up my degree and we will be officially relocating June 2013.

I look forward to learning more about what will be our new home and any advice will be much appreciated

Re: New and Glad to Be Here!

Originally posted by JennRN View Post
    My husband and I have been planning a move to Hawaii for 10 years now and I am so happy that we are finally seeing some progress in our plan. I am currently finishing up my degree and we will be officially relocating June 2013.
    Congratulations!
    You will certainly learn a lot from hanging around here - and some of it might even be relevant. Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by JennRN View Post
      I look forward to learning more about what will be our new home and any advice will be much appreciated.
      Best advice I can give is to make your home in Kaaawa, be friendly, but not overly, and don't try to be local, just be.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        Best advice I can give is to make your home in Kaaawa, be friendly, but not overly, and don't try to be local, just be.
        What can I say? Good advice. IF you can find a place in Kaaawa, if not there is always Punaluu, Kailua has some good rentals (if sub-rosa).
        Windward is generally friendlier, except for Waimanalo. Lower rentals = lower neighbors.

Welcome, aloha.

Oh, we should mention: be prepared for 'sticker shock.' Milk is one of the most obvious, at about $4.95/gallon (some places have discounts), gas at $4.12 a gallon (drink gas!), most small homes start at about a half a million.

Still, I wouldn't move to anyplace else; it's all worth it.
        Last edited by Kaonohi; August 30, 2012, 08:57 PM.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          make your home in Kaaawa,
          I've driven through Ka'a'awa a few times, usually on my way to PCC to visit the Tongans. I always liked the name of the place, but have never stopped to explore. Tell me about it. What makes it unique?
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            Milk is about $4.95/gallon, gas at $4.12 a gallon (drink gas!).
            Priceless, K!

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            I've driven through Ka'a'awa a few times, I always liked the name of the place, but have never stopped to explore. Tell me about it. What makes it unique?
            For me, it's like a Hawaiian Norman Rockwell situation, the most perfect and picturesque little town in the whole world, much better than even the closest communities, and zoning won't allow change, other than the little old homes with big yards morphing into bigger homes with less yard. The weather is awesome 99% of the year, it's quiet, with mostly peaceful/friendly/respectful neighbors, got our own elementary school for those smart enuf to raise a family here, and I can set you up with 2 cool homes right now. Of course it's beauty is hard to beat, closely backdropped by gorgeous mountains that provide great hiking with elevated views of the land layout and the oceanfront with all it's offerings is always almost an arms length away. Topographically, it's a thing of wonder, the way the lava/mountains formed is amazing, that stretch from Hauula to Kahaluu, and then the Koolau's into 'nalo is probably the best visual part of Oahu, and Kaaawa is the best portion of all that. Being bookended by Kualoa Ranch/Chinaman's Hat and Kahana Bay doesn't hurt either. Simply, to me, it's Heaven on Earth, home, and where I laid my Mom's ashes in the waves fronting the Crouching Lion. We've got a Post Office, a 7-11 (the least favorable thing, by far), Uncle Bobo's BBQ, The Crouching Lion Inn, nice beachfront parks, and that's it, no traffic lights, not much to spoil the atmosphere. And it's where Hilo Hattie chose to live, way back when she was 'somebody' and could live anywhere. That says it all in my book, and for me to have her old PO Box is the cherry on top.
            Other than all that, it sucks!
            Last edited by Ron Whitfield; August 31, 2012, 04:28 AM.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I went to a party at a friend's house in Kaaawa a few years back, and I drove through there ofttimes on the way to Hauula. All those little towns seem like very nice places, but perhaps a little parochial, and for a working person a long long way from where most people make their livings here. Back when we were house hunting, my wife and I made an offer on a little cottage in Hauula, but now I'm happy the offer wasn't accepted. Too far to drive to work!
              Greg

Comment

Thanks for the advice... those are actually areas I hadn't heard of yet in my quest for housing.

You'd be surprised how close in prices the milk and gas are... I currently pay about $4.00/gallon for milk and $3.95/gallon for gas. Luckily for me I work for one of the places that pays the least for my profession and the salaries there are A LOT higher so it should all even out

Comment

Welcome! I'm new too to HawaiiThreads. My situation matches yours except I finished up my degree in nursing last year and we've only been planning the move to Oahu for the past year. I'm sure you're both as a excited as we are! Hope all your planning goes well and any obstacles that may get in the way are easy to overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddleGirl View Post
                    Welcome! I'm new too to HawaiiThreads. My situation matches yours except I finished up my degree in nursing last year and we've only been planning the move to Oahu for the past year. I'm sure you're both as a excited as we are! Hope all your planning goes well and any obstacles that may get in the way are easy to overcome.
                    Hi there!

Are you a brand new nurse or completing your BSN? What kind of nursing do you do? Sorry, I'm nosy but it's nice to find someone I have something in common with

I work primarily in PICU and pediatric transport but I'm planning on starting out as a traveller when we first make the move so that it will be a little smoother and one less thing to worry about.

How long before you actually make your move?

Comment

[quote=JennRN;279370]Hi there!

Are you a brand new nurse or completing your BSN? What kind of nursing do you do? Sorry, I'm nosy but it's nice to find someone I have something in common with

I work primarily in PICU and pediatric transport but I'm planning on starting out as a traveller when we first make the move so that it will be a little smoother and one less thing to worry about.

How long before you actually make your move?[/quote

I am new RN and I also have a goal of doing my RN-BSN soon. I've been working for over a year now on a cardiac/telemetry unit, nights/full-time. The hours are really difficult, but it's great experience.

We're planning to move summer '13, so it looks like it'll be around the same time as yourself. Moving to either Kailua or Hawaii Kai. Good luck with everything!
                      Last edited by PaddleGirl; September 16, 2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Good luck to you too! Sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
                        X