Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Oregon!

Aloha!

Not sure how many of you are transplants or natives to the islands, but by summer 2013 I will be moving to Oahu for the 1st time. Visited yes, but living there I know will be so different especially since it's not a vacation. I will be moving with my husband and daughter. Our goal is to live simply, try to be more one with nature, and be open to whatever the island brings us in terms of new friends and experiences. We're selling our house and most of what we own, sending over a couple of boxes and bringing a few suitcases, and hopefully a lot of cash! We respect and admire the culture of Hawaii and we want to contribute to our new commnuity in positive ways. I'm an RN and my husband develops software. He'll have a job before we move, but I won't which is okay by me. He already knows I'm planning to spend some time on the beach "adjusting" to our new digs. Hope I can handle it

We're not planning to be there for just a year or two, but we hope to make Hawaii our new home for the long run. I've heard that RNs who are new locals have a difficult time finding jobs because employers don't want to hire people who may leave too quickly. I'm willing to be patient. Any advice for landing a job as a new local RN would be appreciated!

Re: Aloha from Oregon!

Originally posted by PaddleGirl View Post
    Aloha!

Not sure how many of you are transplants or natives to the islands, but by summer 2013 I will be moving to Oahu for the 1st time. Visited yes, but living there I know will be so different especially since it's not a vacation. I will be moving with my husband and daughter. Our goal is to live simply, try to be more one with nature, and be open to whatever the island brings us in terms of new friends and experiences. We're selling our house and most of what we own, sending over a couple of boxes and bringing a few suitcases, and hopefully a lot of cash! We respect and admire the culture of Hawaii and we want to contribute to our new commnuity in positive ways. I'm an RN and my husband develops software. He'll have a job before we move, but I won't which is okay by me. He already knows I'm planning to spend some time on the beach "adjusting" to our new digs. Hope I can handle it

We're not planning to be there for just a year or two, but we hope to make Hawaii our new home for the long run. I've heard that RNs who are new locals have a difficult time finding jobs because employers don't want to hire people who may leave too quickly. I'm willing to be patient. Any advice for landing a job as a new local RN would be appreciated!
    "At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the current, plan by the tides and follow the sun."

-Unknown

Comment

Welcome to HT Paddlegirl. I don't know if it's still the case but in the recent past we've had a shortage of nurses in Hawaii with traveling nurses filling the gap. With Hawaii Medical Center closing its doors earlier this year possibly the gap has closed. Queen's hospital will be reopening the HMC West facility in Ewa Beach next year. I don't know what's happening with the East (town) facility.

Best of luck with your move. Searching within HT you will find lots of information on the subject.

Comment

I was talking to a traveller at work this morning and she said she still gets offered assignments on Hawaii. She also said that the travellers there actually get paid less than staff nurses (which is unusual) because Hawaii is a destination state.

If you want to go the traveller route to get your foot in the door, she suggested signing with several companies in order to have more opportunities for placement.

Comment

From what I hear, Kaiser Permanente is gearing up to hire RNs in entry-level positions.
          Get your vita in there!
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Thank you everyone for all the good advice! I'll look into travel postions and even staffing agencies. The next 9 months will fly by as we get ready for our move. It's really exciting thinking this same time next year I will be on HawaiiThreads living in Hawaii!

Comment

Welcome to HT, and congrats on your move! It's a tremendous leap, and a big deal! I hope that it lives up to all your expectations, and that you really make the most of experiencing all the natural beauty, the Aloha spirit, and the native culture.
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Thank you for your good wishes! We are so excited for our move! It is a big deal and it will take us the next 9 mos. to accomplish all that we need to do so we can get over there by next summer. We're experiencing all of our "lasts" in Oregon right now. One season in particular we won't miss is winter. Weeks on end of rain, gray clouds and no sunshine! But the "lasts" we will miss are many: turning leaves in fall with the cool, crisp air, Christmas tree hunting in the forest, clear blue skies in the summer, and the view of Mt. Hood. But, what we'll miss will be replaced with paradise and a place that has always felt like home to me! We're open to however the island will embrace us. We love the ocean and can't wait to SUP, surf, canoe, scuba, snorkel and swim! Also, looking forward to the aloha spirit of the people and making friends. Life is an adventure and we can't wait to experience it in Hawaii!!!

Comment

Working...
                X