Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Miss My Local Food!

Aloha, everybody!

I've already posted a bit but haven't introduced myself yet.

I am hapa haole (Hawaiian, Chinese, German, English), grew up in Honolulu and attended St. Andrew's Priory and Kalani High School. I have fond memories of going to the beach every day with my cousins (I have some scars from bodysurfing accidents to prove it!), cutting class to go with friends to the slippery wall at Waikiki Beach, eating "real" custard pie from Kapiolani Bakery, and picking pipipis with my grandmother.

I left Hawaii for college (BYU) and never made it back home. The cost of living is so high in Hawaii that, frankly, I could never afford to move back. I go home once a year to see my family--and to go to Liliha Bakery!

Fortunately, my hubby is also from Hawaii, and so when I reminisce about my favorite crackseed store or have a craving for Horlick's malted tablets or dried aku, he knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I moved to Seattle for graduate school (Univ. of WA), then moved to a few other states, and now make the Seattle area my residence--but never my true "home." I have 2 keikis with beautiful--and very long--Hawaiian middle names.

I hope to cross paths with you here.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Re: I Miss My Local Food!

Originally posted by U'ilani
    I've already posted a bit but haven't introduced myself yet.
    no shame, no shame, you!

and now make the Seattle area my residence--

great city! say arowha to da hawaii store and mcPhee's!

Comment

Aloha, everybody!

I left Hawaii for college (BYU) and never made it back home. The cost of living is so high in Hawaii that, frankly, I could never afford to move back. I go home once a year to see my family--and to go to Liliha Bakery!
      Yeah...I remember Liliha Bakery, my ex-girlfriend Richelyn Chow used to live by the townhouses right next to the building where the Liliha Bakery is at. Ono good food....used to grind there in the morning time before taking her to Farrington High......hard to believe that was almost 15 years ago!! Does where da dayz!!!! Aloha....
      Braddah Ronny!!

Comment

Welcome U'ilani...

Hope someday you, your hubby & your children can come back here
        to our great Island of oahu.

WOW! Liliha bakery, huh?. I live near by there(somewhere.).

My hubby & I also like that bakery, & You are right, they do have "ono good food" !.
        We sometimes go there for breakfast on our way out of town early in the morning(s).

Well, glad you dropped by, & heard of this forum.

Hope we all see more of you here often .

A big gigantic Aloha to you from everyone here in this forum.
        Aches & Pains
        (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Hey, thanks for responding.

I just found out there's a good Hawaiian food restaurant in Seattle (Kauai Family Restaurant); I'll have to check it out this week.

I see macaroni salad in my near future!!!

Check out this review of their cakes:

http://www.thestranger.com/2004-03-18/chow2.html
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Hey, thanks for responding.

I just found out there's a good Hawaiian food restaurant in Seattle (Kauai Family Restaurant); I'll have to check it out this week.

I see macaroni salad in my near future!!!

Check out this review of their cakes:

http://www.thestranger.com/2004-03-18/chow2.html
            Hui U'ilani:
            There's also Kona Kitchen in the Maple Leaf neighborhood (up by Northgate). The owner is an actor who had a role in Karate Kid 2, among other movies.

And of course, there's always L&L up in Lynnwood. There are a bunch of other local grind kine places around the Seattle area. You would be surprised (actually not---there are more Hawai'i expats in the Seattle area than there are people living on Kaua'i!)

Malama pono,
            Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Speaking of which, you should check out Wanda Adams' recent meditation on macaroni salad, complete with recipe.

Comment

Thanks for the info about the restaurants.

My mom & grandma made mac salad exactly like they make at Zippy's--I guess that puts me in the "purist" camp. I wish I had the recipe.
                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Thanks for the info about the restaurants.

My mom & grandma made mac salad exactly like they make at Zippy's--I guess that puts me in the "purist" camp. I wish I had the recipe.
                  U'ilani:
                  Here's a recipe for a clone of Zippy's mac salad. http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe.php?id=1051148025

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    Speaking of which, you should check out Wanda Adams' recent meditation on macaroni salad, complete with recipe.
                    Here's the permanent link to Wanda's article -- the first URL I cited has been replaced by a newer article.

Comment

Thanks Glen & Miulang.

Now if I could only find a way to get Liliha Bakery's coco puffs to Seattle, I would be a happy wahine!
                      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Hui U'ilani:
                        I found a recipe on the Ono Recipe forum a recipe for something called "coco puffs". From the description that was given by the owner of Liliha Bakery in one of the news stories I found, it appears that the cocoa puff is a cream puff shell filled with some kind of chocolate pudding/filling and topped with "chantilly frosting" which the owner of the bakery said was like the German chocolate icing without the nuts or coconuts and with more butter. The recipe above sounds like it may come very close to what you wish you could find in Seattle.

If you make it, let us know how it came out. I have never had a cocoa puff (except for da cereal kine) so if I made it, I wouldn't know if it tasted like the "real thing."

Malama pono,
                        Miulang

P.S. cream puffs are super easy to make so don't be afraid of this recipe
                        Last edited by Miulang; February 16, 2005, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Ho Miulang, can tell you never lived in Honolulu. There is nobody on O'ahu who has never had a Liliha Bakery coco puff.

Comment

Liliha Bakery Cocoa Puffs

I never lived on O'ahu...I lived down in Ka'u on the Big I..but when I did make it into that part of Honolulu, I did make it a point to visit not only the Liliha Bakery, but also Masu's just down the road a ways. (Masu's Massive Plate Lunch Diner!) Anyway..I went to Liliha for other mea ono...I initially went to Liliha to try the cocoa puffs after hearing so much about them, but I discovered I liked other treats they make, like the chocolate iced cake doughnuts..man..they were some brok' da mout' ono...I never really got into the cocoa puffs; in fact I was kinda dissapointed the first time I tried them..I figured they would be much more chocolately, rather than the somewhat subtly cocoa flavor I found them to possess in the cream filling.

Speaking of bakeries, I have to say that having lived in Na'alehu, it was no problem to get to the Punaluu Bakery..it was kinda neat to be in walking distance of a place people traveled many miles to visit. I miss their sweet bread big time!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Ho Miulang, can tell you never lived in Honolulu. There is nobody on O'ahu who has never had a Liliha Bakery coco puff.
                              Eh, you right! I was born in HNL but my parents wen go move to Maui wen I was 2. So if I had cocoa puffs, I was too small to rememba!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X