No announcement yet.

rides down the middle of the street, blowing kisses from atop my palamino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rides down the middle of the street, blowing kisses from atop my palamino

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o

Wop my own jaws on this one! =)
    Oh, so you're that old, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Aloha and welcome to our OHANA! I see you've met some of the regulars. No pun intended. LOL

Auntie Lynn
      Hey! stop with those invisible puns!

Comment

o wat if dey invisble? badda you? lurkah wea you stay? i need help to bust up' somebody...buggah to big from drinking beer and eating rabbits!
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          o wat if dey invisble? badda you?
          shuah, boddah me. no can tell whacoo tahkin about.

('course, why should I expect to start, now?)

ugh. rabbits. keep THAT invisible.
          Last edited by kimo55; August 8, 2005, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            Oh, so you're that old, eh?

Sheesh! It's not like me and Haloa were high school classmates or anything...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              I do.

for good reason.

I kako'o your good reasons. But how do we draw the line between when a subject is sacred wale no vs when employing a sense of humor is acceptable? I am not looking for a right or wrong answer, but chance favors a prepared mind when negotiating communication land mines.

me ke aloha,
              Pua'i

============
              edited to fix a glaring error.

pax

Comment

Sheesh! It's not like me and Haloa were high school classmates or anything...
                Was Haloa da one wit da juju lips??

Comment

I kako'o your good reasons. But how do we draw the line between when a subject is sacred wale no vs when employing a sense of humor is acceptable?

some things always steh kapu.
                  No like da kapu, no steh goin dat direction. go make fun some odda things, den.
                  But no go insai da heiau, and give da razberry at da kine.
                  Last edited by kimo55; August 8, 2005, 05:56 PM.

Comment

some things always steh kapu.
                    No like da kapu, no steh goin dat direction. go make fun some odda things, den.
                    But no go insai da heiau, and give da razberry at da kine.

What kapu? What heiau? How is making fun of mana-less kitsch a hewa?

pax

Comment

What kapu? What heiau? How is making fun of mana-less kitsch a hewa?
                      near-figuratively speaking.

what "mana-less kitsch"?

ya see, that's the point. When an image of Ku or Lono is now considered "kitsch" or even "mana-less".... or even called a 'tiki"....
                      Last edited by kimo55; August 9, 2005, 10:15 AM.

Comment

what "mana-less kitsch"?

ya see, that's the point. When an image of Ku or Lono is now considered "kitsch" or even "mana-less".... or even called a 'tiki"....
                        I kako'o piha your mana'o, for why should that what was sacred be allowed to be debased?

Yet...it has evolved, and distinction blurs over time. One example, if you go to Polynesian Cultural Center, you get paper masks on a stick with a smiley face in the style of a tiki to be handed out to anyone and everyone. And through their own ho'omana, they mean no harm by manufacturing and distributing these pa'ani tiki.

Now, its origins are of the ki'i, but it is no ki'i akua. I prefer to take the practical view and call it a tiki because a ki'i akua is something I would not touch being as I am a wahine, nor would I redraw, kakau, etc.

And because I cannot go back in time and fight alongside Kekuaokalani and Manono for the preservation of the kapu system, the best way I know how to live as a Y2K kanaka is to be pragmatic between the balance of na'au and 'ikena.

Let us recognize the difference between authentic and a cheap imitation when we see it. And know how to mahalo the difference between the two. One deserves reverence for they are ancient and the sacred but never fear the swap meet sale--for fearing is a way of giving mana.

ma waho o keia, he mea nui e malama i ka pili ma'ema'e ma waena o kakou a e hui kala mai i ka'u i 'olelo hewa ai. 'O ke kanaka he kanaka wale a na ke Akua e malama i ka mea maika'i a ne ke Akua e wawahi i ka mea ho'oholomua 'ole.

me ke aloha,
                        Pua'i

pax

Comment

>Yet...it has evolved, and distinction blurs over time.

no, it has de volved.

> if you go to Polynesian Cultural Center, you get paper masks on a stick with a smiley face in the style of a tiki to be handed out

wot now?

Comment

I prefer to take the practical view
                            Finally... someone to balance out all of the hot air being blown by some users on these boards. Mahalo plenty Pua'i Mana'o for joining in on the conversation.

Comment

Mahalo everyone. I keep meaning to come back to this post and tie it up.

I grew up on Hawaiian homesteads, married another DHHL leasee, and have kids who are all over 1/2 Hawaiian (we grew learning fractions and % based on "how much is each of your nationalities"). My kane and I each measure our Chinese and European ancestries in 8ths and 16ths. My kids all currently attend Hawaiian immersion schools. I took several years of Hawaiian language at the university. My husband took classes, but doesn't ~dig it~ to the degree that I do (I cruise nupepa.org almost daily, because reading old newspaper scoops of yestercentury through Hawaiian is the best way to reconcile how to live as a progressive Y2Kanaka, by understanding the choices that our kupuna faced and made). I consider our lifestyle to be bilingual. Socio-economically, our household is a combo blue-collar and white-collar small-business owner-style, involving juggling our kids' many activities and some inter-isle work commute, which happens I wanna say "seasonally". Education, living below our means, and a strong work ethic means everything to us. And, as typical of everyone in Hawai'i, I am probably "one degree of separation" (or six degrees of integration) from everyone else on this board. Finally, my kane and I are either really young baby boomers or are the oldest gen-xers.

I appreciate the welcome, and look forward to getting to know all of you better.

me ke aloha,
                              Pua'i

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X