Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'nadda ALOHA from Washington

Originally posted by lurkah
    Now it's getting too complicated for me. Think I'll stick with using my old catch-all favorite, babooze. Too bad, uncle, that name's already been taken.
    FWIW - I have requested a name change from the Admin; don't know if it'll be approved, but I hope so - don't want to make waves (well, at least not YET...)

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Howzit AO. So how long ago did you meet your kane?
      Actually, I'm the kane - I met my wahine in Seattle a decade ago; she came over to study at UW and didn't go back (lucky for me!)

Comment

Originally posted by Akamai Okole
        Actually, I'm the kane - I met my wahine in Seattle a decade ago; she came over to study at UW and didn't go back (lucky for me!)
        Oh! OK. When you said "your sweetie" it sounded to me like something a wahine would say. Or maybe you were both kane. You can never tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamai Okole
          I'm in Seattle, where the links to Hawai`i just keep getting stronger. The Island `ohana in this area is BIG! We have dozens of hula halau, several radio programs (and even a cable TV show) of Hawaiian music and cultural discussion, a monthly community newspaper, several great Hawaiian restaurants, and a few Island-themed gift shops. We've had a lot of Hawaiian musicians come through the area in recent years, too.

I'm involved in a lot of these activities myself - I play music and dance (a little) with one halau, I'm one of the radio/TV hosts, I write music reviews for the newspaper, and emcee some of the concerts. As part of my job, I program Hawaiian music for stores, malls, restaurants, airports, etc., in Hawai`i.

And I'm not from the Islands - I'm a convert who has been drawn in by the culture and people. My sweetie is from Kane`ohe, so we visit family almost every year. The people of the Hawaiian/Pacific Islands community in this area have opened their arms wide to welcome me in, and I feel so fortunate every day to be witness to the real meaning of "aloha spirit."
          Eh Brah, good to meet u in Kalama. Shuah was one great concert Friday nite!
          Aloha,
          Mokihana

Comment

Oh! OK. When you said "your sweetie" it sounded to me like something a wahine would say. Or maybe you were both kane. You can never tell.
            True enuf. I thought maybe you assumed I was wahine because I mentioned that I dance hula - and there aren't enough kane doing that on the Mainland!

As for the "sweetie," she and I have been, *ahem*, "living in sin" (as some would put it) for a decade - we are functionally married (and WA isn't a common-law state), but have always struggled for appropriate terminogy.

BF & GF seem too "beginner-level" for our relationship, but we aren't legally husband & wife, either. Sometimes, I'll refer to her as my "innamorata" - but most of the time, "sweetie" is the term that comes out.

I've even reached the point where, if someone else refers to us by spousal terms, I don't bother correcting them, unless I know them well enough to bore them with a detailed correction. I guess that now includes all y'all here!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
              FWIW - I have requested a name change from the Admin; don't know if it'll be approved, but I hope so - don't want to make waves (well, at least not YET...)
              Was nice knowing you, "Akamai Okole." Poof! You're now "Leo Lakio." Glad to have you as part of the HawaiiThreads.com `ohana.

Comment

Thanks, "admin," for the change and to others for the suggestions to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                  Was nice knowing you, "Akamai Okole." Poof! You're now "Leo Lakio." Glad to have you as part of the HawaiiThreads.com `ohana.
                  I know Leo is "voice", but what's "Lakio"?

Comment

a degree, unit or ratio

see how they do it?
                    radio and ratio are both, lakio
                    Last edited by kimo55; August 29, 2005, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I know Leo is "voice", but what's "Lakio"?
                      Radio.

I've been in radio since 1976, full-time (including national productions) until 1995, when I took a break to produce albums; my latest part-time radio gig has been playing Hawaiian music on a couple Seattle-area stations.

Thought it would be less likely to offend than the AO name.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        see how they do it?
                        radio and ratio are both, lakio
                        Right you are - both based on modern adaptations of "loan" words - a common practice in many languages (Japanese is filled with lots of 'em, too.)

I knew about the "ratio" definition as well, but I went ahead with it for radio, based on the suggestion of a native speaker of Hawaiian `olelo.

Comment

Working...
                        X