Hi Everyone!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Everyone!!!

Hi! Hope everyone is doing good tonight. I am Shannon and I am new to this site. I heard about it a few weeks ago when I was listening to Paul Ogata on the radio (boy am I gonna miss listening to him in the mornings). It is so nice to have a site like this!! I look forward to reading the posts and giving my two cents occassionally.

I was born in the mainland but was raised in Kaneohe. I love the windward side so much and can't imagine living any other place in the world. For those of us who are fortunate to call Hawaii home, we truly live in paradise.

Re: Hi Everyone!!!

Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads.com! I'm Auntie Lynn. See you on the boards!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha Auntie Lynn nice to meet you!

Comment

Shan-n all up in the HT! Thanks for listening in the morning. And yes, you are correct, Hawaii truly is paradise. But I figured that I should probably move away for a while so I can truly appreciate the beauty. (That, and I'd like to pay less than $74 for a box of cereal.)

Comment

I know you're only trying to be funny, Paul, but you know there is some heavy wisdom in your words. Once you have gone, you will really, really come to appreciate just what's so great about this whacky place and people. Good luck to you.

And welcome, Shan-n! Have fun!

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
            I know you're only trying to be funny, Paul, but you know there is some heavy wisdom in your words. Once you have gone, you will really, really come to appreciate just what's so great about this whacky place and people.[...]
            So true, on a personal level of course! I moved back to my home town (Laguna Beach, CA) late 1991. I was there one day shy of one year before returning permanently to Hawaii. During that year I spent a total of 4 months in Hawaii! That was the worst and only bout of homesickness I've ever experienced!

Comment

I joined the Navy back in the early '70s with the idea that I'd get the heck out of here and see a bit of the world. I was sick of Hawaii.

I got sent to San Diego for boot camp and school. About 6 months on the mainland was more than enough. Boy was I grateful when my first assignment out of school turned out to be Pearl Harbor! They sent me right back home.

Then 18 months later, they decided to send me back to San Diego to a different assignment. Miserable. That was a loooong couple of years until I got out and went beeline back to Honolulu.

No matter what I thought of Honolulu before I left, it was gone. I saw the light. Never again will I even THINK about living anywhere else.
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I am reminded how much i appreciate my home when i hear other's recount their "mainland experience".
                one wahine in line da odda day at da Po.O. sez; "All thru the mainland you try talk story with anyone in any store or in public anywhere, their attitude is: "Whaddafuuu.. they want from ME!?"

here, errybody is friendly. Kinda like HT;
                we one big ohana roun' heah.
                can talk story with anyone. for any reason. about anything.

Often in nite clubs back a while ago, in Cali, most all the guys wearing black and leather and black leather and flames and skulls and leather... allll dressing alike. And just about ready any moment to throw down and fight if you bump them, talk to their friend or girl... reallll aggro.
                Was with a British friend in a SoCal club one eve and he sez: "Kimo, evryone here is THIS CLOSE to killing someone"; the air of ego, testiness, aggression, competition... is palpable. And on the roads?! Fugggeddabouddit!
                road rage, honking, flippin da boid, is the order of the day erry day.
                You don't even want to think about glancing at da lowriders, for fear of actualliy getting shot at, or run off da road atfter they follow ya to a remote area...

Lucky we live Hawaii

Comment

Aloha,

When I first came here in 1963, it was to marry a very nice young sailor who put a big diamond ring on my finger & asked "will you marry me & move to Hawaii?" well, DUH !!! I was already in love with this place even though I had only seen it in movies. I stayed for 16 years, through some very happy & very sad adventures. in 1979, I decided to give California a try - stayed for 17 years which was about 16 years too long! I came "home" in 1996 and don't ever want to leave again. I would get so homesick for here sometimes that I would just sit & cry. Lucky for me, I have family & friends here that made me feel welcome back and things have worked out well. Its so nice to live again in a place where folks are truly caring and where I know that I belong. My years on the continent were strange & confusing most of the time - but it was a good learning experience. I learned that truly, Hawai`i is the only place for me!

Fran
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                  X