Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An' Den

Huuuuui!
    I finally made it over here *waving shaka wit both hands*. Ho, you know how much I wanted fo' come check dis place out, but waz jahs supah busy. But eh... waz worth da climb up da mountain, thru da valley and den, da swim across da ocean! I wen spawk a few AlohaWorld Ohana Lanai membahz visiting hea too. Whooohoooo! Anyone wen bring da pu pu? *hee hee*

Okay, I going go hana sum'mo. I no like jahs barge in and make house on my 1st visit, and den. Ho, I not li'dat, you know!

So.. good to finally pop in and give all you shaka people on BIG Ohana style HUG & Honi on each cheek... Bum'bai I come back again.

Re: An' Den

Originally posted by Izzie
    Huuuuui!
    I finally made it over here *waving shaka wit both hands*. Ho, you know how much I wanted fo' come check dis place out, but waz jahs supah busy. But eh... waz worth da climb up da mountain, thru da valley and den, da swim across da ocean! I wen spawk a few AlohaWorld Ohana Lanai membahz visiting hea too. Whooohoooo! Anyone wen bring da pu pu? *hee hee*

Okay, I going go hana sum'mo. I no like jahs barge in and make house on my 1st visit, and den. Ho, I not li'dat, you know!

So.. good to finally pop in and give all you shaka people on BIG Ohana style HUG & Honi on each cheek... Bum'bai I come back again.
    Whoo hoo Izzie!!!! U wen make it heah!!!! So good to spock yoah maka!!

Ho, dis place no going be da same nomo!!!
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Comment

Welcome Izzie!

I hope you enjoy your stay here. Tip: try and translate before you post here. Most of us stay learning good english or trying to forget the pidgin language.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
        Welcome Izzie!

I hope you enjoy your stay here. Tip: try and translate before you post here. Most of us stay learning good english or trying to forget the pidgin language.
        What a pity. I'm terribly sorry if I offended anyone for just being "me". I'm a fun loving person, but if it means that my having fun disturbes anyone, I'm truly sorry.

Speaking in pidgin is part of my heritage and I'm VERY proud of it. In fact, having graduated with a Th.D and certified to go on various mission trips to war stricken countries really taught me that people and nations should be proud of their heritage. I've since learn that being humble, accepting all man kind no matter what creed, color or language they speak is part of loving unconditionally.

I think it was when I was holding a dieing child in my arms having half of her blown away when she stepped on a land mind. Her mother was near us weeping while on her knees. It really showed me that life is so dang precious to get caught up the etiquettes of speach. By the way, that nation of people were fighting for their culture, traditions and language. They believed in themselves as a nation that they were willing to DIE to KEEP what they had. At that moment... my eyes were opened.

I learned then that I wanted to KEEP my heritage, customs and culture even though I now reside in the heartland of the Untited States of America where people are dang proud to be speaking in their western, eastern and southern accents. Yes, even those from Lousiana with their "Pidgin" French Creole, are proud to be speaking according to their culture. When I open my mouth and "proudly" spurt out my Hawaiian Creole, heads turn, and people ask me to TEACH them words and slangs. Then they pick it up and I pick up their accents as well. Oh how wonderful to have the LIBERTY to do such a thing. To communicate without having to put on a FRONT.. trying to be someone I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I can speak "proper" English. Been a public speaker in So. California for over 20 years, and then in Georgia. And yes, even in Hawai'i too. I speak proper English professionally for communication sake, and not to try to prove anything else than that. Heck, I don't have to.

Speaking for myself, it doesn't matter what color, creed, religion, or mode of speach a person uses to communicate with. Whether it be a different language, English with an accent, or a Creole like the Hawaiian Pidgin.. heck, I accept them all, unconditionally. And I would feel terrible if I knew it was offensive to anyone, as I do right now.

Well, I do sincerely thank you for the "tip". As I bow out, I wish all of you who are trying to "forget" how to speak Pidgin and who are striving to learn "good English" much success with it. Again, I'm sorry if I offended ANYONE here, believe me.. it was NOT my intent.

Malama pono... oops.. If writing in Hawaiian is offensive here also, forgive me once again. Really didn't mean to bust another eggshell.

I'm NOT being sarcastic here, just being straight forward about how I view life. This is why I can respect you all, well as you said, "most of you" who wishes to keep this place pidgin free. Well, that let's me out *LOL*, for you see, I'm living on the mainland, for many years, in fact. With ENGLISH people surrounding me all the time.. and truth is... I MISS being able to "feel at home". I thought I could do that here with people who actually had the privilage of living on the island I once grew up on. To enjoy her "flowers" again. Yes, even those pidgin flowers.. LOL. I was mistaken. And it's really okay. I'm glad you were straight forward with me from the get go before I took my slippahz (thongs) off.

Best to all.

Aloha Hugs too!

Comment

Welcome Izzie!

Huh? Say what? What's wrong with pidgin (or Creole, if you wanna get linquistically honest about it)?
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Izzie
            Huuuuui!

Huuuiii! Izzie...no run away! K-den, come back soon!

Comment

Welcome Izzie!

Gotta agree with Izzie and Linkmeister. Why would I want to forget the first language that I ever learned? It's part of my heritage! To me, that would be like trying to forget and discard part of who I am. I am proud to be kama`âina. I am proud that I was blessed to be born and raised in the most wonderful place in the world. I would no more want to forget that heritage, pidgin and all, than I would want to forget my own name.

Like Izzie, I can speak very proper English. Like Izzie, I now live on the mainland. I am surrounded by people who speak only English (though, I must admit, I have far greater command of the language than a good many of them). I am lonely for the sounds of my native `âina. I am homesick for people with whom I can talk stories in pidgin. I am homesick for people who understand the subtleties of Hawaiian Creole (pidgin). I am homesick for the musical sound of spoken Hawaiian. I am homesick for people who know how to pronounce my name! Unless I am with other displaced locals, I NEVER hear the sound of pidgin, NEVER hear Hawaiian/Japanese/Chinese/Portuguese words. That is why being able to talk full-on pidgin is so important to me when I'm in a forum with other locals. Does it mean I'm uneducated? I think not. I could never have gotten a 3.8 GPA in college if I couldn't speak and/or write good English.

If, without thinking, I say, while teaching a friend to knit, "try put your needle in that puka", I will get a very strange look. And that's hardly full-on pidgin! I am careful to speak good English around my friends so that we can communicate in the best way possible. There's no sense talking to them in a language they don't understand. I am trying my best to fit in with a mainland culture that, for the most part, knows very little about Hawai`i and its culture.

I have a friend whose parents are deaf. My friend's first language was Sign Language. Did that mean that she had to give it up when she learned English? Of course not. It's part of her heritage.

adri1456, I respect your right to forget all about pidgin (though I notice that you use the word "stay" in your post, which is very pidgin). I can understand the value of learning and using good English. It's very important in the business world and in the community at large. It's important in today's world to be fluent in English. But I don't believe that means that we have to discard our pidgin heritage. What's wrong with being multi-lingual? To me, there is no shame in talking pidgin. It doesn't diminish who I am as a person. Not being able to talk pidgin would be like having to wear shoes all the time and never get to wear slippers.

This is a great website. I like being with other locals. I just hope it won't be like when I was in elementary school and got in trouble for talking pidgin even outside the classroom. The teachers still couldn't stop us, try as they might. Inside the classroom, sure. We all learned to speak good English. But trying to keep us from talking pidgin outside would be like trying to stop a tsunami.

Izzie, Try come back, k? Is maika`i foah spock moah peeps from Alohaworld OhanaLanai ovah dis sai of da island. I get planny pûpû foah shayah wichu.

K'den. I stay pau foah now. Geev up da pidgin? Nah. Stay paht of me.

Aloha,
              Mokihana

Comment

Most of us stay learning good english or trying to forget the pidgin language.
                Not true. I'm a born and raised local boy, a product of the public school system... but I'm also someone who looks to people like Izzie to teach me to learn pidgin... to reconnect with a part of my community that I feel I was denied as a kid.

With all due respect, you do not speak for "most" of the members of this community. I hope to let the members of this community dictate its standards, to be sure, but if any one person does so unilaterally, it would be me. And I specifically invited Izzie, Mokihana, and many of the other wonderful people we've been fortunate to welcome to this site to share their stories and their infectious personalities.

English and pidgin can coexist. Many of us here, obviously, are "bilingual" anyway. If I was confident enough to "break out" in pidgin, you bet I would. Until then, I hope I can learn from folks like Izzie. Izzie, I hope you give us another chance.

If there's room here for "padding threads" and silly animated avatars, then there's definitely room for pidgin. There's room for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                  Not true.

Pidgin to da max.
                  Pidgin to my last dying breath.
                  Pidgin facilitates communication between different cultures.
                  Proper English has its place, but it's so boring.

Comment

The Pidgin and English discussion

Originally posted by admin
                    English and pidgin can coexist. Many of us here, obviously, are "bilingual" anyway. If I was confident enough to "break out" in pidgin, you bet I would. Until then, I hope I can learn from folks like Izzie. Izzie, I hope you give us another chance.
                    English and pidgin has been coexisting for a really long time in the spoken language arena. It's when Pidgin is being written and probably being read is when the problems occur because to my knowledge there is no standard reference(s) for anyone to use in case of problems in the syntax or spelling of Pidgin words that might crop up.

Comment

Re: The Pidgin and English discussion

Originally posted by helen
                      English and pidgin has been coexisting for a really long time in the spoken language arena. It's when Pidgin is being written and probably being read is when the problems occur because to my knowledge there is no standard reference(s) for anyone to use in case of problems in the syntax or spelling of Pidgin words that might crop up.
                      That's the wonderful thing about pidgin... it's so phonetic that spelling doesn't matter. Lurkah, Izzie and I might all spell words differently, but we never have any pilikia understanding each other.
                      EX: Izzie spells Bum'bai and I spell it bumbye. And maybe Lurkah would spell it bambai But we have NO trouble understanding one another...

If you want to learn more about pidgin, there are lots of online sources. And the book, "Pidgin to da Max" is awesome.

great site

one noddah one

One beeg shaka foah all u folks who stay reconnecting wit ouah unique, wondahful pidgin heritage! Way to go!
                      Aloha,
                      Mokihana

Comment

there is no standard reference(s) for anyone to use in case of problems in the syntax or spelling of Pidgin words that might crop up.
                        Um, try ask?

C'mon folks. I wasn't born and raised here (hell, I didn't get here till I was 28), but my sister went all through school here and I picked up a little pidgin, and I can guess at meanings pretty well. If I can't, I'll decide whether it's important enough to ask, or just let it go on by.

Besides, no dialect I've ever run into has a standard spelling, as far as I know. And transcribing a dialect into written language is really hard; I'm always impressed with the folks who can do it fairly faithfully.

As Pogo said a long time ago, "to each his dagnab own."
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Hey, wassup Izzie, nice to see another newbie! :P

Oh and... "No an'den!" :P

-If no one gets it, slap me upside the head and use a free rental for Dude Where's My Car-

Although it's a bit challenging for me to read, I don't mind the pidgin much. I may not get through the post as fast as one written in boring strict English, but it does show personality. Write as you like as long as it's not smohtineg lkie tihs, baescue it hrtus lkie hcek.

oH aNd sTiCky CaPs dEsErVeS sLaPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Laj
                            Huuuiii! Izzie...no run away! K-den, come back soon!
                            Eh.. How can I "run away" wen get so much Aloha ova' hea? Aloha is like one magnet... buggah SUCK us back like one unda'toe at Waimea bay on one big day! Of course I coming back like how flies keep flying back to....... uh.... Well, like bees flying back to da flowers!
                            Mahalo for your wonderful, aloha filled responses. Now I can take off my slippahz and check out what you guys stay get on da stove in all da different pots. But first, I going write my name on my slippahs jahs in case one of you thinking about KakaRoaching 'um.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah

Pidgin to da max.
                              Pidgin to my last dying breath.
                              Pidgin facilitates communication between different cultures.
                              Proper English has its place, but it's so boring.
                              Brah, das one awesome GIF. You can make um lillo bit smaller, though?

Comment

Working...
                              X