Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my trip to hawaii!!

Originally posted by carlhuber
    My wife and her folks wanted to visit the places they had been, seen where they spent four years of their lives, and show me where they had grown up. They also knew a lot of great out of the way areas, so we didn't have to bum around the touristy areas.
    Also because of their military service they had earned the right to stay in the military-only hotel in the area (which, by the way, was very nice), which is a lot cheaper for them than at other hotels.
    ahhh. so why not write about the great out of the way areas or did they not appeal to you? and i supposed you stayed at the Hale Koa...
    did your wife live on base housing or off? and discrimination is found everywhere (still exists in this day) some kids just know how to deal..

Comment

What would you guys suggest we should have done to see "non tourist" things?
      Watch a movie at Ward Theater.
      Have a plate lunch at either Graces, Mahalo Drive Inn or L&L Drive Inn (or Diners if that still exist).
      Watching the sunset from Magic Island.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Native kids discriminated against her and her brother? Come on, we have laws here.
        Yeah, they have laws about discriminating against blacks in America, but it still happens in the south Trust me, this was a decade ago, they were in grade school, and they were discriminated against. The term haole comes to mind.

Still, that was a long time ago, and not really relevant to how much I enjoyed my trip.

I'm just floored that you are all jumping on my experience and either grossly misreading what I've written or taking it very much in the wrong way.

I had a GREAT time in Oahu. I don't think Hawaiians are stupid.

Sheesh.

And I thought New Yorkers were supposed to be the rude unwelcoming people.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          Watch a movie at Ward Theater.
          Have a plate lunch at either Graces, Mahalo Drive Inn or L&L Drive Inn (or Diners if that still exist).
          Watching the sunset from Magic Island.
          I can watch movies in New York! Can't get the level of sushi here that we got down there, though!
          And we watched plenty of sunsets they were magical.

Comment

Yeah, they have laws about discriminating against blacks in America, but it still happens in the south Trust me, this was a decade ago, they were in grade school, and they were discriminated against. The term haole comes to mind.

Still, that was a long time ago, and not really relevant to how much I enjoyed my trip.

I'm just floored that you are all jumping on my experience and either grossly misreading what I've written or taking it very much in the wrong way.

Sheesh.

i really thought most East Coasters were rude people although I've met quite a few that were really nice.. Took a trip to Philadelphia during winter season in hopes of seeing snow..man some ppl were extremely obnoxious..but you would find that in all places not only limited to the East coast.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
              i really thought most East Coasters were rude people although I've met quite a few that were really nice.. Took a trip to Philadelphia during winter season in hopes of seeing snow..man some ppl were extremely obnoxious..but you would find that in all places not only limited to the East coast.

You're absolutely right. I was chatting with the sushi chefs and folks at the luau we went to, chatting with the people we ran into in elevators and waiting for restaurants - everyone was SO friendly! I was waving to people I didn't know, holding open doors for people carrying metal detectors....it was great! That's why I was so surprised when I posted here and everyone jumped down my throat!

Comment

Sheesh.

From your Story:
                "What we saw was pretty disappointing - just some weird creepy dark little shops that were showing some hard times.
                Two things stood out about our visit to the edge of China Town: the Indigo Restaurant and a Big Truck Full of Slaughtered Pigs."

...anyone who talks about Chinatown in a negative way without finding out the True Story will be treated by me Rudely and then some. Here's a couple of Whack whacks!

Lynn Vasquez
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

This is it, below, in a nutshell. (how DO da big white faddah suggest da native take his condemnation? Tell us, massah, why must we accept years of continual impatient, spoiled touron's opinions? )

hey you. wear a bra!
                  hey YOU get a real tattoo. that one's all wrong.
                  "Watching surfers is kind of fun, I mean, they're like a bunch of ignorant, peaceful seals laying out on the flow awaiting "their" waves"
                  hey you merchants with yer weird creepy dark little shops trying to sell me crap at every turn. spell yer signs correctly.
                  and hey you batshit crazy nutjob natives. I'm right and yer not.
                  I'm uhMAZED you racist natives don't see the most important thing. I LOVED your Hawaii!
                  where the HELL is my SUE shee!?
                  What we saw was pretty disappointing, ya got crappy bars pouring crappier drinks and yer bay is a giant, volcanic zit.
                  but Whew. we FINALLY got what we wanted.

there ya go, kids. If ya can't clik on da link, that's whatcha missed, aside from pics of "hey! whatcha doin scratchin' yer butt, fer?!"
                  Last edited by kimo55; January 25, 2006, 09:29 AM.

Comment

From your Story:
                    "What we saw was pretty disappointing - just some weird creepy dark little shops that were showing some hard times.
                    Two things stood out about our visit to the edge of China Town: the Indigo Restaurant and a Big Truck Full of Slaughtered Pigs."

...anyone who talks about Chinatown in a negative way without finding out the True Story will be treated by me Rudely and then some. Here's a couple of Whack whacks!

Lynn Vasquez

Please, quote me out of context even more next time. Did you read the rest of what I wrote about it? "But we apparently only skimmed the edge of it. Those One Way streets that cover the area make navigation rather tricky to the uninformed."

I wrote about what I saw. I saw a butcher's truck, a bunch of dark shops, and the Indigo. I wish I had seen more of it, because my wife was really excited to go, but I didn't! Maybe next time?

Comment

You did an injustice to Chinatown. Period. What you saw. What you wrote is on the Internet. Shame. Peebrains like you are going to think the same and assume that Chinatown is what you described. Such a pity. I only hope that others will be saved from the ignorance of what you wrote.

I'm not wasting anymore energy on this thread.

Poof be gone!!!

Lynn Vasquez
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; January 25, 2006, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Jeez, Carl, you're not allowed (as someone who doesn't live here) to post your honest impressions of Hawaii unless said posting includes exaggerated pandering to "local" (nonwhite, according to most) people/ways, slavering on about how great every single part of the island is (regardless of what you *really* thought), and paying gross obeisance to everyone and everything that is "local." Don't ever mention actually seeing a truckload of slaughtered pigs if it might offend someone you don't even know exists, even if pork is a staple of the diet and slaughtering them is a fact of their sad little lives, because you might somehow offend someone's easily offendable, delicate sensibilities. And comparing surfers to seals is OH MY GOD you didn't actually do THAT, did you? Ohhh, Carl, no ... You should be hearing from the marine mammal division of the Waikiki Aquarium next. Their seals are offended.

Shoulda known better. Nice try, though! Next time, don't be so honest and up front about everything and they'll respond more nicely. Of course, it'll be a big dose of bull, but hey ...

Comment

Yee-OUCH! Come on, folks - Carl spent one short week here as a tourist, and he saw a lot of what tourists see, through a tourist's eyes. It's not like he was the first to get some things out-of-context, and he won't be the last. Remember that when next YOU travel to an unfamiliar place, with cultural aspects that do not resonate with you.

Every trip he takes to Hawai`i can teach him more, and make him better informed. There are many things he mentioned correctly that he had no knowledge of before this trip (he tried some new things like li hing mui, and shave ice with ice cream at the bottom - these may be old-hat to you, but they can be very weird to those not raised in the Islands.) Compared to many stories I've heard from first-time visitors (come on, you've heard a lot as well), he made an effort to check out a lot of different things - maybe he didn't see them at the same level as a local can, but few of us who are not from there do.

It takes much more than a week in Hawai`i to shake off any malihini vibe. Yeah, I cringed at a couple things he posted, but mostly at the fact that I had some of the same incorrect impressions myself years ago, before I was welcomed by my Alpha Female's `ohana, and I was given opportunities to see what few outsiders get to see.

Let's all go traveling to someplace outside of our own spheres of familiarity, stay a week, then write about it, publicly, in front of the local community --- you want to bet as to whether or not we'll make a few cultural faux pas? (What IS the plural form of that, anyway? Guess I will take heat now for not knowing French...)

Comment

Hi Carl:
                            You're still young. You appear to be of the GenX age. Your kind of humor is different from what most people consider humor (but humor the younger generation would appreciate). Your pictures are great, your commentary is the kind of stuff you'd let your friends see, but not something people born and raised in Hawai'i would think was humorous. It probably would have been more appropriate for you to put your commentary on www.Hawaii.com where there are more tourists than residents. The reaction you got is typical of what someone who dearly loves where they live would give you.

As a New Yorker (granted it appears you don't live in the city), wouldn't you get pissed off if a tourist posted sarcastic comments about the Big Apple? Wouldn't you want to come to its defense too?

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I gotta hand it to Carl. He PM'd me and asked me to help him see what I think of Chinatown. Here's what I wrote:

I was born and raised in Chinatown. My family has owned bussinesses in the area for years. I walk the streets ~ from bums to police officers they call me Auntie Lynn. Yes, I love Chinatown. I see beyond what the normal people see. I have suffered the streets as those who suffer from it too. However, I have risen from it and made a life. Still the dark side of Chinatown is only a small fraction to what is the light of it...which is many! Chinatown is a beautiful exotic place to behold. It is rich and a mecca of different cultures that come together everyday without prejudice. Foods, crafts, languages, etc. combined into one area. Yes, Chinatown in Honolulu is a place to venture and capture in TRUTH!

...it's all good.
                              Your next trip ~ personal tour of Chinatown by Auntie Lynn!

Comment

I gotta hand it to Carl. He PM'd me and asked me to help him see what I think of Chinatown.
                                Kudos to Carl - this is the sign of someone who can learn as he travels. Maybe someday we'll even get him to dance hula! (No grass skirt, I promise you.)

Comment

Working...
                                X