No announcement yet.

One Kanaka/Podagee living in TX now :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Kanaka/Podagee living in TX now :)

Hello everyone,

I found this site googling for Hawaiian clothing, haha, mahalo nui Google, lol. This site seems pretty cool so far

Anyways, my name is Chris, from Leeward O'ahu (Ewa Beach, Nanakuli side) I'm new here and figured, "Hey, might as well say hello, eh?"

I just moved from Hawaii to Texas on Oct. 4th, 2005. I live in the "Austin area" of central TX in a town called Kingsland in Llano County.

Mahalo,
    Chris
    The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

Re: One Kanaka/Podagee living in TX now

Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads.com! See ya on the boards!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha Chris. Welcome to Hawaiithreads! You were from my neck of the woods (Ewa), how you like Texas? My cousin tried living out there a few years ago and didn't like it too much, ended up moving back to da 'aina. I used to hear that housing was much more affordable there. How is the expat community around where you live now?
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Aloha Chris....I moved from Leeward Oahu (Makakilo) to Corpus Christi, Texas back in 1979 and constantly thought about moving back here. Whenever I needed a Hawaii fix I would have to drive several hours to larger cities like Austin, Houston, or DFW when musicians were on tour (Olomana, Kapono Beamer and others). Moved back to Oahu in 2002 and now live in Kaneohe. The only things I miss about Texas are: great Mexican food and affordable housing. Welcome to the Hawaii Threads!

Comment

Howzit Chris,

So what are you doing in Texas? Why did you move? What do you do there? Was it a good thing, or not too good?

Welcome to HT.

Aloha,

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina
            Aloha Chris. Welcome to Hawaiithreads! You were from my neck of the woods (Ewa), how you like Texas? My cousin tried living out there a few years ago and didn't like it too much, ended up moving back to da 'aina. I used to hear that housing was much more affordable there. How is the expat community around where you live now?
            Well, to tell you the truth...

I absolutely love it hear. My main reason? My dollar goes a lot farther here than it ever did in Hawaii. Sad but true

So far, I haven't come across anyone else from Hawaii. Of course I live in a town called Kingsland that's very small and is primarily consisted of older people (60+).

Thank you!

Aloha,
            Chris
            The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy
              Aloha Chris....I moved from Leeward Oahu (Makakilo) to Corpus Christi, Texas back in 1979 and constantly thought about moving back here. Whenever I needed a Hawaii fix I would have to drive several hours to larger cities like Austin, Houston, or DFW when musicians were on tour (Olomana, Kapono Beamer and others). Moved back to Oahu in 2002 and now live in Kaneohe. The only things I miss about Texas are: great Mexican food and affordable housing. Welcome to the Hawaii Threads!

The two things you miss, are two of the things I enjoy! LOL. I have to admit, nothing beats having some grat Mexican Food when you're craving it. I'l never eat at another Taco Bell as long as I live! And the property here is SO cheap! I've seen huge homes, on 2 acre lots, for only about $135,000 and considering that the median price of a home in Hawaii is $350k - $400k, it's a sweet deal. Lots of jobs here too and beautiful landscapes! I miss Hawaii though but someday, I know I'll be able to come back

Aloha,
              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                Howzit Chris,

So what are you doing in Texas? Just enjoying myself primarily Why did you move? I moved to be with my fiance, her family is from here and she didn't want to be away from them, so I came here to TX to be with her. What do you do there? Right now, I'm working on just finding a good steady paying job. Because of the large amount of geriatric population here there's plenty of work in hospice and nursing. Was it a good thing, or not too good? Actually, it was the best decision of my life. I couldn't be happier. Sure I miss the islands tremendously, but sometimes in life you have to make compromises.

Welcome to HT.

Aloha,

Blaine
                Thanks Blaine! It's nice to get such a nice warm welcome! (Well, except for the cinnamon chicklet I got :P)

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads.com! See ya on the boards!

Auntie Lynn
                  Thank you Auntie! It's great to be greeted with Aloha! I hope to be posting here as often as I can!!

(Gee, I wish I had some Purity Brand HOT Portuguese sausage... mmm, I miss it!!)

Aloha,
                  Chris

Comment

Originally posted by bizzyb0t
                    I live in the "Austin area" of central TX
                    If you gotta be in Texas, that's the area to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      If you gotta be in Texas, that's the area to be in.
                      I like this area I stay living in right now. It's kinda like living Waianae side. It's very quiet, the country side is wide open, no mo tall building (or mountains ) but the people here are friendly and nice the stores around here are mostly family owned and run businesses, so it definately has that "old town" feel. I live outside of Austin proper, so I kinda think of Austin as Honolulu Business District, and Kingsland as the Waianae Coast. Just farther apart and no mo the smell of the sewage plant as you enter Waianae, lol.

It's great to have a board where I can talk with other Hawaiians and I can say stuffs like, "Eh brah, no mek lidat!" and people will understand me!

Aloha,
                      Chris

Comment

Welcome! If u like talk full on pidgin, try hele ovah to Alohaworld and sign up foah da lanai. We're a kinda lolo bunch, but good fun. Good place for talk stories. I visit dis place and Alohaworld all time. No get much bettah den dat!
                        Aloha,
                        Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana
                          Welcome! If u like talk full on pidgin, try hele ovah to Alohaworld and sign up foah da lanai. We're a kinda lolo bunch, but good fun. Good place for talk stories. I visit dis place and Alohaworld all time. No get much bettah den dat!

Thanks for the link! I definately like the idea of being able to let the pidgin loose, lol. Although, my English major and my pidgin roots always wrestling in my head!

Aloha,
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by bizzyb0t
                            The two things you miss, are two of the things I enjoy! LOL. I have to admit, nothing beats having some grat Mexican Food when you're craving it. I'l never eat at another Taco Bell as long as I live! And the property here is SO cheap! I've seen huge homes, on 2 acre lots, for only about $135,000 and considering that the median price of a home in Hawaii is $350k - $400k, it's a sweet deal. Lots of jobs here too and beautiful landscapes! I miss Hawaii though but someday, I know I'll be able to come back

Aloha,
                            Chris
                            The median price on Oahu is over $600,000. I can only imagine how far that would go in Texas now! Can you download some good Mexican food and send it over to me ASAP?

Comment

Working...
                            X