50 years on..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years on..

I got started in radio in Hilo while I was in my sophomore year of high school. We had moved out there from California, and I had decided that I wanted to be a DJ.

I talked Bill Myers at KILA into letting me do a "Teenage Hit Parade" show on his show once a week. Eventually I got to do a couple of evening shifts, hosting Lucky Lager Dance time. That summer, I got hired full time at KIPA, which is where I worked with George Groves.

No real format- just whatever records were laying around. I also board-opped some stuff from Honolulu, although I don't recall what the network setup was, or which station. (All Islands Network- KGMB?)

That lasted till the end of my senior year. For the first time, I got fired, for no apparent reason. That summer of '58, I did a sign-on, board op shift at KHBC, the 3rd station in town, before leaving in the fall for a hitch in the Navy. (That's right- there wre just 3 am stations in Hilo back then.)

I got back to Hawaii in 1961; my folks had moved to Oahu, and I got a job at K-LEI in Kailua. That lasted until 1963, when I got hired at KGU, first doing overnights, and then pm drive news.
    During those years, I was in a folk group with my first wife Carole and a friend- we were known as We 3, and mostly played at a pizza joint called Humbum's.

I left the islands in 1964 and haven't been back since. I worked in Detroit, doing classical and folk; then wound up in San Francisco during that hippy business in 1967, and did the overnight on the first FM underground rock station, KMPX, for over a year. I continued doing Progressive FM through the 70s in Detroit, LA, San Diego, NY and Boston.

Since my arrival in Boston, I've done rock, country, classical and folk. I'm mostly retired from on-air now, and have been teaching radio here in the Boston area for over 25 years. I do a show called Lost and Found- 60s FM rock- on the MIT station WMBR on Tuesdays from noon to 2 pm every week. It's groovy.

I also started playing the guitar about the same time I started doing radio, and still remember some slack-key licks. (Check out the Taro Patch elist..)

I found this list as a result of a random Google, and am glad to be here.

Larry Miller
    Cambridge MA

Re: 50 years on..

Originally posted by Larry Miller
    [...]I left the islands in 1964 and haven't been back since.[...]
    Cool story, Larry. Have you ever had the desire to return to Hawaii, even if just for a visit? I remember Hawaii in 1964. Has it ever changed!

Comment

Working...
    X