aloha from washington state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: aloha from washington state

Leo Lakio - I feel dumb - what is the dance? I am so uneducated to my own culture - have recently read some books re: History of Islands. Know no language and have very little connection to my island family - long story - but that's the way it is. I am working to change this.
    I will most definitely look you up. See you then - Olivia

Comment

Originally posted by olivia
      i live in kelso and if you haven't heard of this place i would not be surprised. it is about 45 minutes north of Portland Or. it is a small lumber town along the I-5 corridor and very close to the columbia river. good sense of community here. but i will move on in time. what brought you to honolulu?
      My sister lived there for about 2 years! We visited regularly. Nice little towns there!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Muilang -
        What wonderful memories - when I was last there - would go to bakery with younger sister, Kari, early morning - and greet the day. My father lived last years there - and Auntie #2 owned old store and Uncle Art owned Midnight Inn - when it was around. Too bad - not there now.
        Shell Station - Coconut Grove - Harbor - Bicycle Shop -makes me smile. I was only sorry I did not go camping with my sister at Halawa Valley. Father said too many mesquitos. Thanks for the note - Olivia

Comment

Hello blueyecicle -
          what great picture - and name - wonderful small towns eh? my father lived in kaunakakai. but really i thought it was the only town on the island. i was only there two times - took my daughters to visit their grandfather and get reacquainted with my family and then to funeral of my father.
          thanks for the note - olivia (wished I had an original name like yours- not so clever)

Comment

Hi Olivia,

Most my family moved up to WA years ago - police department thang.
            You should look up a halau, 2 of my sisters and my nieces dance... look it up, great way to connect with displaced Hawaiians.

I have a big family on Molokai too! It's changed.

Have a safe trip and a wonderful time re-meeting your family.
            MEMRI TV:Middle East Media Research Institute
            Jihad Watch
            Amil Imani's Website

Comment

Originally posted by Levia
              Hi Olivia,

Most my family moved up to WA years ago - police department thang.
              You should look up a halau, 2 of my sisters and my nieces dance... look it up, great way to connect with displaced Hawaiians.

I have a big family on Molokai too! It's changed.

Have a safe trip and a wonderful time re-meeting your family.
              So did your relative end up with the Federal Way or the Bellevue Police Dept? Those were the two who were recruiting in Hawai'i. I think the Fed. Way Police Dept. was helping to find housing and stuff too for the new officers. At least here in WA there are lots of expats and we tend to move in the same crowds. And no need to be homesick for the local grinds anymore. Most of that stuff we can find up here no probs.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Oooh! Moloka'i is my favorite island! My family is on Maui now (I'm on the Mainland) but my dad grew up in Kamalo and my mom spent a few of her formative years in K'kai. Took a trip over there a couple of years ago...what an incredibly beautiful place. Couldn't get enough of Kunemitsu Bakery (loved their loco moco, their bread and long johns!), that Filipino place up the street (Oviedo's?) and their chicken papaya, and those big bumbucha double decker spam musubis from the Shell (or maybe it was a Chevron) station on the corner by the flashing yellow light. Everybody is so friendly over there.

Miulang
                Small world. I spent a summer in Kamalo valley with my uncle Wren. He's the fire cheif over there now and my aunt Nancy is a dental hygenist in the "city", heh. Me and cousins would hike up the valley and swim in the river, it was a real good time. I think they are living in Ualapui now.

Comment

Here's a list of Hawaiian Restaurants and Businesses in the PacNW.

Guide to Hawai'i In the Pacific Northwest
                  http://www.thenyoudiscover.com/weblog/?page_id=139

Comment

Hey, Mikey, good to see you here! Hope you stick around for more talkstory.

Though I shudder at the thought of ever leaving Hawaii, I've always felt the Pacific Northwest was where it'd be perhaps the least painful, given the strong support system and other close ties that are fostered throughout the region.

Comment

Originally posted by thendisc
                      Here's a list of Hawaiian Restaurants and Businesses in the PacNW.
                      Guide to Hawai'i In the Pacific Northwest
                      http://www.thenyoudiscover.com/weblog/?page_id=139
                      That's your site? Very nice - looks like you've been doing your research. If I think of additional information, I'll let you know.

Comment

Aloha Ryan - I'm a lurker, but I had to chime in on this one.

Hi Leo - I always rush down to get the paper when I hear it's out. Love the music reviews. Try checking out my streaming radio station if you get a chance. http://www.northshoreradiohawaii.com. I'm adding new stuff everyday, but feedback from a reviewer would be great.

Comment

ALOHA from Washington State (TACOMA)...

Aloha and Talofa! My name's Ita and I'm originally from San Francisco, moved up here a year ago and I've been searching all around for Polynesian festivals....poly events, etc. Where can I find information on hula/poly events? I also hula and I'd love to attend any kine of festivals or events that happen from time to time in Washington State.

Mahalo!

Comment

Talofa, Ita.

Hawaiian restaurants and stores throughout the Seattle/Tacoma area carry the monthly, free Northwest Hawai`i Times newspaper, there's also a website for the Hawai`i Radio Connection shows, as well as the Hawai`i General Store in Seattle, which puts out an irregular calendar of events. Yahoo Groups has a "nwhawncalendar" where people post all kinds of Polynesian activities.
                            Hope we'll see you at some event somewhere soon!

(I write for the paper and am a host on the radio shows mentioned above.)

Comment

Working...
                            X