Aloha from Baghdad (and Kansas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Baghdad (and Kansas)

Hello, everyone! My name is Curtis. I'm 26 years old and currently serving with the Kansas National Guard in Baghdad, Iraq. My lovely wife will commission with the Air Force as a weather officer this December, and it looks like Hickam AFB will be her first duty station!

Naturally, I'm tremendously excited about this. More for the chance to work and go to school around cool people in a beautiful place, than anything else. I served with a few Hawaii Guard members while here (all locals) and can say that they were some of the most cool, down-to-earth people I have ever met, which works out just fine because I'm very much the same way. After reading a lot of threads here, I finally understand what a 'haole' is (ME!).. And our unit still calls the common area here the 'lanai'.

I'll be going to UofH Oahu, and I'll be trying for 2 degrees while I'm there in 4 years, so it will be hard work, but I think I should be fine.

I've been lurking here on HT for about the last 2-3 weeks and thought I'd finally drop a few lines here in the introduction section.

So Aloha and Hello to everyone here!

Re: Aloha from Baghdad (and Kansas)

Yo dude... nice home page... and welcome to HT!

My brother-in-law is over there in Iraq (balad) now too....

You will find both supporters and non-supporters about the Iraq thing... so keep an open mind and enjoy the ride....

You got my back! (and I'm sure auntylynn will be replying in a few minutes)

I don't support the war... I support our troops
    Last edited by damontucker; July 6, 2006, 06:33 PM. Reason: clarifying

Comment

Thanks, Curtis, to you and your wife.

Welcome to HT!

Aloha,
      Maddie

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        [...]You will find both supporters and non-supporters about the Iraq thing... so keep an open mind and enjoy the ride....
        [...]I don't support the war... I support our troops
        Regardless of one's feelings about the war, like Manoa said, the troops deserve our support. So, yah, you and your wife rock, Curtis. We'll look forward to thanking both of you in person.

Comment

That's the beautiful thing about this country (the US, although soon to be Iraq): people are free to feel however they want about anything and voice those opinions as loudly and as often as they wish. Everyone's support however, is extremely welcome and I thank you for that (and although I can't speak for my wife because she has her own voice, I'm sure she would say the same).
          Last edited by L0j1k; July 6, 2006, 07:23 PM. Reason: Oops! Forgot something.

Comment

Aloha Curtis! Mahalo to your wife and you for serving our great country. I look forward in seeing you on the boards. Keep safe and when you arrive here let me know.

I have a daughter who is an MP at Hickim AFB. My son is a Staff Sargent out at Schofield with The Stryker Brigade - Calvary.

Hooha!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha Curtis...My cousin got his orders to go to Iraq this month. My stepson returned 4 months ago. I don't agree with the war but I do support and appreciate you and the rest of our troops over there in the middle east.

Comment

Regardless of "agreeing with the war" and such, our troops and those of our allies ARE doing many good things for ordinary Iraqis, every day. I'm not talking about Bush propaganda, I'm talking about real people doing tangible things for people who need help -- including but not limited to donating school supplies to Iraqi children and setting up mobile medical services stations in various places to take care of the sick who otherwise wouldn't even have antibiotics or clean bandages.

Our men and women are doing a world of good for those folks, and the people there do appreciate it. Capt. Kyle Yonemura wrote several pieces for the Star-Bulletin while he was in Iraq (he's back home -- in Waianae, if I remember correctly -- now).

http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/24/e...l/special.html

http://starbulletin.com/2005/10/23/e.../special2.html

Sgt. Wilgene Lieto, shown in the top pic giving shaka with the Iraqi kids, was killed sometime after we published that article. I'll bet those kids will never forget him.
                Last edited by MadAzza; July 6, 2006, 09:58 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Since I agree with everything that's been said to you already, I'll just add my name to those welcoming you to HT, Curtis.
                  Your wife gonna dive in here too?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Welcome!!!!

Keep your head down and your powder dry.
                    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Welcome to HT, Curtis.
                      I'm one of those who doesn't support the occupation but who DEFINITELY supports you guys and thank you for all that you're doing. Maybe you can tell us about some of what you're doing over there.

Keep your head down, and come home safely!

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Welcome Curtis! Stay safe over there and have fun on da threads.
                        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Hello All,
                          This is Curtis' wife, Kirby- He was moved to a new location and no longer has quick access to the internet. He asked me to stop in and read the posts, and send his greetings. We are counting down the days until his return, and then for our move to Hawaii!! Thank you all for your support,
                          ~Kirby

Comment

Aloha Kirby! We're looking forward to having you and Chris here in Hawaii and participating here as well on HT!

TTYL

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha to HT Kirby & Curtis! I have to agree....what a cool website! And Lawrence eh? Been there when my husband was stationed at Ft. Riley....that and Manhattan the "Little Apple."
                              Lovena

Comment

Working...
                              X