Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Threads- from Chicago!

Aloha from cold Chicago-
    This is my first post so I wanted to introduce myself and say Hi!
    I'm a 26 year old male....I am not Hawaiian...you could say I'm Hawaiian at heart.....Eight years ago I started dancing for a Chicago Halau. Through much Aloha, I started soaking up everything I could about Hawaiian culture. Over the years I've competed at PCC's world fire knife competition (my true passion- siva afi)and San Jose's Tahiti Fete. I recentlly opened a Hawaiian Restaurant with ono local dishes!
    Soooooo in the end I totally look foward to talking with others about good local food and favorite dishes, siva afi, Hula and a lot more! (oh yea and INK...I LOVE seeing great ink!!)

Aloha,
    Maka P
    sigpicKalua Pig is where the heart is......
    www.thetikiterrace.com

Re: New to Threads- from Chicago!

Aloha and Welcome to HT Maka! My daughter and grand-daughter comes back from Illinois today! They were there since December. I'm a cook and use to own a Restaurant in Honolulu. What are your specials? I nosy!!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by MakaP View Post
      Aloha from cold Chicago-
      This is my first post so I wanted to introduce myself and say Hi!
      I'm a 26 year old male....I am not Hawaiian...you could say I'm Hawaiian at heart.....Eight years ago I started dancing for a Chicago Halau. Through much Aloha, I started soaking up everything I could about Hawaiian culture. Over the years I've competed at PCC's world fire knife competition (my true passion- siva afi)and San Jose's Tahiti Fete. I recentlly opened a Hawaiian Restaurant with ono local dishes!
      Soooooo in the end I totally look foward to talking with others about good local food and favorite dishes, siva afi, Hula and a lot more! (oh yea and INK...I LOVE seeing great ink!!)

Aloha,
      Maka P
      Welcome to HT, Maka. Kudos to you for learning hula and for soaking up the Aloha spirit! Are you staying warm today? I heard about ALL the snow you guys got yesterday and today.

So what's the name of your restaurant? It would be useful to know where it is in case there are some homesick ex-pats who live in your area who might want to soak up the Aloha and get some local grinds.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        So what's the name of your restaurant? It would be useful to know where it is in case there are some homesick ex-pats who live in your area who might want to soak up the Aloha and get some local grinds.
        Yes, like, for instance... Chicago's own Oprah Winfrey. Not an ex-pat, but certainly a Hawai`i lover. MakaP should send her an invitation. If she goes, and if she mentions it... KA-CHING!
        Good luck, Maka, and welcome to HT.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Auntie Lynn I hear flights might be delayed at O'Hare becasue of the beutiful weather here! What was the name of your rest.? maybe ive been? so to answer, the kalua pig, coconut chicken and my favorite eat, the loco moco (mmmmmm loco moco with sauteed garlic, onions, and musrooms with hot sauce and sometimes jalepenos is HEAVEN!) do very well. tempura shrimp and teryaki steak do very well also.....by far the best desserts are haupia cake and deep fried bananas! Its funny but soome people here dont get the spam....but its a great way to educate people about it! although spam masubi does well....I love talkin food and could do it all day! haha maybe one day you can help me with a ono hamburger steak recipe!
          Miulang, the name is The Tiki Terrace in prospect Heights, and all I can say about the snow here is that 4 wheel drive is a blessing and a half! Yea maybe Oprah wants a tropical escape from all this snow.......i would even pick her up!
          sigpicKalua Pig is where the heart is......
          www.thetikiterrace.com

Comment

Yeah! They got delayed yesterday. But as far as I know they're on the plane cause I pick them up at 12:30 p.m. heheheh

As for giving recipes...anytime!

My hamburger steaks and fried chicken were my best sellers. However, the only one I shared the recipes with was Police Officer when I closed shop three years ago. Since you're in Chicago ~ I'll tell you and moa!

I'll PM you with my email address and we can go from there.

Auntie Lynn

P.S. Benny's Restaurant on Hotel Street!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by MakaP View Post
              Miulang, the name is The Tiki Terrace in prospect Heights, and all I can say about the snow here is that 4 wheel drive is a blessing and a half! Yea maybe Oprah wants a tropical escape from all this snow.......i would even pick her up!
              K'den. I wen just go shoot your information across the "electronic" coconut wireless (I'm the food editor on an ex-pat forum and we do have members who live in your area). So maybe some of them going come see you for da Spam musubi!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Wow Maka, I'd say you definately a Hawaiian at heart . Welcome to da ohana hea at HT and we look forward to talkin story with you. Ho man, the break down of da kind grinds you get on da menu make me stay hungry already, lol.
                Last edited by LocoBoy; February 14, 2007, 02:17 PM. Reason: got dizzy

Comment

Ok MakaP I'm coming to visit the rents Memorial Day weekend for my little brother's grad from DePaul. (they live in Lake Villa but we often go to the city whenever my wife and I are out there.) He lives on Lakeshore and works for Schiff Hardin in the Sears Tower. I fully expect to see something on the menu called Auntie Lynn's Famous "Insert food item here" LOL. Welcome to HT! Looking forward to making The Tiki Terrace one of my most talked about chicago restaurants So far, that list consists of Cafe Ba-ba-reeba and Brazzaz
                  -kp!

Comment

Aloha all. Read this thread yesterday and took my wife for dinner to Tiki Terrace. The ambiance is great and the service friendly. Really made us feel like we were almost back in Hawaii.
                    Coconut chicken was excellent. But my fav was definitely the beef Loco Moco.
                    We look forward to making a return visit when we can get a spot for the live shows on Saturday. Lotsa fun!

Comment

Groovy. My sister lives in Chicago. I'll let her know. Wht's the name of the restaurant?
                      Don't be mean,
                      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                        Wht's the name of the restaurant?
                        Ummm, Jamie? It's the Tiki Terrace...mentioned a few times in the thread already. You need a break, my friend.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kungpao;132521]Ok MakaP I'm coming to visit the rents Memorial Day weekend for my little brother's grad from DePaul. (they live in Lake Villa but we often go to the city whenever my wife and I are out there.) ]

Kungpao....small world....my ex-hubby grew up in Lake Villa. I grew up in Northbrook.

MakaP...I'll have to visit your restaurant the next time I visit the Chicago area!! You definitely sound like you are full of the aloha spirit.

Comment

aloha MakaP...welcome to the threads. oooh..local food all the way on the east coast. right on. speaking of local food...loco moco sounds real good right now. take care.
                            ~Rubes~

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Ummm, Jamie? It's the Tiki Terrace...mentioned a few times in the thread already. You need a break, my friend.
                              True, true. But alas, no rest for the wicked. At any rate, the word has been passed along to my sister, and therefore the entire improv community in Chicago.
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X