Future Hawaii Police Officer or Firefighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Hawaii Police Officer or Firefighter

First off, I am new to this forum. I am a current college student at Illinois State University. I graduate in the fall of 2009. I have always wanted to move to Hawaii after graduation. My goal is to move to Hawaii immediately after graduating when I will be 24 years old. My family does not want me to move. However, my dad keeps telling me I should stay here at least a year or two after graduation so I can enough money for a condo there. Chances are I will be here longer than a year or two and I think he knows that. I understand that firemen/police men salaries are not that high over on the island. That is why I would like to have another job such as a personal trainer, or working at a jet ski resort earning extra tip money. I will be living alone and have no wife, girlfriend, kids, etc. I will only have to provide for myself. I am asking any of you if you think I could survive down there with a firemens or policemen salary and a supplemental income with a personal trainer or jetski resort for extra tip money? Would it be a good idea to stay here after college and save up money? If so, how much would be reasonable? Should I get an apartment first and then save up for a condo? Buying a home is not that big of a deal for me. I would not mind living in a comfortable condominium for a long time. I have two summers left before I graduate and am thinking of maybe saving up for the move when I graduate and am unsure of how much I need. And are there any firemen and/or policemen here who live in Hawaii? I would like to know how you live on the island and the difficulty of getting a job. Should I live here for a certain amount of months before getting a permenant job (I heard some departments wont even hire you if you have not lived there for 18 months). Maybe right after college get a job in tourism in an apartment and then in the mean time apply for an officer or firemen job. Any help from anyone would be huge. As you can this is like 20 questions and I have so many more. I really want to be well informed in my decision to moving here. I do not want to be a blind bat flying into a brick wall. Thanks for all the help and support as it is greatly appreciated!

Re: Future Hawaii Police Officer or Firefighter

Aloha and welcome to HT! You can find your answers about becoming a HPD Police Officer at http://honolulupd.org/ The process is a hard and long one. However, many do come from all over and become HPD Police Officers.

Good luck!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks, I already looked at their website and it does have useful information. I was hoping of more helpful information from locals or people who have experienced this first hand. I appreciate the help though

Comment

Welcome to HT, Nicholas. A lot of things can change for you over the next 2 years. So while you're saving money for a move, make sure you do as much research as you can about the history of the islands and about its people and keep up with the current events by reading the local newspapers online (the 2 dailies with the largest circulations are the Honolulu Advertiser and the Star Bulletin). It's good that you're willing to "pay your dues" in order to reach your goal. It most definitely would help you if you had residency (living and working in Hawai'i at least one year).

Most police and fire departments across the country are having problems recruiting enough staff because of the war in Iraq, so at least for the time being, you could probably find a policeman's job anywhere in the country.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
          Thanks, I already looked at their website and it does have useful information. I was hoping of more helpful information from locals or people who have experienced this first hand. I appreciate the help though
          K-den. I can not speak for my daughter...however, I can tell what I know as her mother. She is currently an HPD Police Cadet and in training at the Academy.

Like I said the process is a long one. From the initial written test you have stages of tests and background checks, and finally a psychological test to pass. Still, once in the Academy you are not guaranteed a position as a Police Officer. The extensive training takes six months plus field training. At anytime one can be eliminated from the Academy. The norm for graduates is less than half who started on the night of Orientation. It is hard but it guarantees we have the BEST in the Nation!

Starting pay is $35,000 a year. Your job as an HPD Police Officer is 24/7!!!!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
          X