Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Oahu in Aug from Sunny Detroit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Oahu in Aug from Sunny Detroit!

I have been reading a lot of posts and have found some great information here, thanks.

I am using craigslist like crazy, trying to research where to live -- but am always looking for other sources. I've been to Oahu twice over the last 5 years or so and the only area I feel like I know anything about is Waikiki and east -- so that is where I am focusing my attention. Although I am a real estate appraiser, so it doesnt matter as much where I live since I will likely have to drive all over the place anyway...

The reason for Aug is that my neice will be attending school there at Chaminade, so I figured I would waite till then so we could go over together (she has never been there).

I look forward to hearing from anyone that has a comment or suggestion for information etc./ THANK YOU

Re: Moving to Oahu in Aug from Sunny Detroit!

Almost 100 reads but no replies

Its cold and rainy in Detroit today -- cant wait for HI.

Comment

My suggestion would be to read thru the archives. You will get the same type of response anyway. Things like *do you really realize what you are getting into* and *are you sure you are monetarily ready* so that you dont end up like lots of others with island fever-----homeless or on the rolls. Sorry, thats all i know to help with.
      If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

The short explanation -- it is expensive. IMO, it's about as expensive as the good parts of New York and California. Not only that, but the same income opportunities as CA and NY may not necessarily be there for you depending on your method of income.

In addition, there are cultural considerations, and so-called "island fever". You wont know if you can truly mix well with Hawaii culture until you go beyond the campy carnival atmosphere of Waikiki. I've lived in Hawaii twice before -- I personally love it, and wouldn't mind going back if the opportunity presented itself, but not everyone feels the same way.

If you can manage it, take a scouting trip, and get beyond Waikiki and the tourist culture. But as memorylane suggested, do a search, just about every thread has decent suggestions that apply to your situation.

Comment

When ya make your way to Oahu ya may wanna start very very small (studio, taking in or looking for a roomate perhaps) and take whatever you can afford. Don't limit yourself to certain areas on the island and until you get a steady income flow goin then maybe advancing up one on your goals to living in paradise. And make a list or pros and cons and go with whats essentially works for yooou.

Comment

It sounds like one consideration is your niece who will be attending Chaminade. For her sake, I'd recommend looking in the Kaimuki, Kapahulu, Moiliili, Manoa, & Makiki areas...Chaminade is easily accessible by bus from these areas.

A cheap place in Aiea is no bargain if your niece spends half her day on the bus.

And yeah, be ready for high rents for a small space.

Comment

Alright! Thanks for the input!!!!

I have been to oahu (only there) a couple times over the last few years. The city I live in is pretty expensive too, so I'm ready for that I think --

Neice is a consideration, but she will be living at Chaminade, atleast for the first year -- But I would like to be relatively close to her too (I think her meal plan gets a couple 'guest' (Uncle!) meals a week that I would like to cash in on.

Comment

Working...
              X