Aloha from Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Boston

Aloha my name is Steve and I am glad to have found this forum because my wife, daughter and I are going to eventually make a move to Oahu. It won't happen anytime soon but it will happen. My wife is a RN and I work in the audio/visual engineering field. We will be visiting again this October and are looking for things to do and places to go that are not so touristlike. During our first visit last year I was surprised on how developed and diverse the area is, it reminded me a lot of Boston but without the stressful high pace! LOL! Anyways Aloha and I hope to learn much from you guys on this forum.

Mahalo!
    Steve

Re: Aloha from Boston

Welcome to HT, Steve. Let us know what your interests are so that non-touristy suggestions can be made. In the meantime, hele on over and post to the shopping carts and foods you'd never eat threads so we can learn a little more about you!

Comment

HI Steve, I think you'll find this site pretty helpful, I have thus far (I am planning a move this summer).

If you just float around and read some of the threads that have to do with moving etc. I like it because it seems information from the people instead of from advertisments or people trying to sell something.

DAVID

Comment

Aloha Steve, Welcome to Hawaii Threads! Let us know how we can help you and looking forward to hearing from you here in the forums. You will find HT helpful especially when you are talking with the other members here. Relax and enjoy yourself and keep on posting.
        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Aloha mai! Welcome to HT! I hope you enjoy yourself here. Have fun on O'ahu! If I were to move to Hawai'i Nei, I would say that you should look into lots of events that are geared towards informing others on Hawaiian culture. You should consider picking up some Hawaiian music and possibly learning the Hawaiian language.
          'Alika

Comment

Thanks all to the replies, I figure my wife will be working at one of the hospitals in Honolulu and the same area for myself. We were at first looking at the Ewa area but had heard that traffic can be horrible with the one way in/out road. We really like the Kailua area and realize it is expensive. Any help in Kailua would be great. Thanks!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevo75 View Post
              [...]We really like the Kailua area and realize it is expensive. Any help in Kailua would be great. Thanks![...]
              What kind of help are you looking for? You mentioned you won't be moving to Hawaii any time soon. My suggestion, since you'll be visiting in Oct., is to rent a car and poke around Kailua as much as you can...with the understanding that, by the time you're ready to move to Hawaii, things could change dramatically!

Comment

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. During our last stay we rented a car and drove that whole coast and we liked Kailua the best because of relatively short drive to honolulu area. I say short drive because I am use to driving 1.5 hours each way to Boston for work. I was checking to see what you guys knew about the area as far as expense, school system, traffic, crime and well really anything. Living here in Massachusetts I grew up in a farm area but the town next to me has a bad reputation. It's these little things that I won't be able to see based on taking a drive to an area. This will be a big move for us and I just want to make sure I know what I am getting into. Thanks for any help!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevo75 View Post
                  Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. During our last stay we rented a car and drove that whole coast and we liked Kailua the best because of relatively short drive to honolulu area. I say short drive because I am use to driving 1.5 hours each way to Boston for work. I was checking to see what you guys knew about the area as far as expense, school system, traffic, crime and well really anything. Living here in Massachusetts I grew up in a farm area but the town next to me has a bad reputation. It's these little things that I won't be able to see based on taking a drive to an area. This will be a big move for us and I just want to make sure I know what I am getting into. Thanks for any help!

Steve
                  housing: pretty pricey. house next door to me 3/2 is going for $3300/month. it's available now. I'm 5-10 minutes from the beach - so not that close but a nice neighborhood.

schools: not real sure but I suspect coming from Boston they are not up to your standards. Preschool around 7K/year. Elementary-high school around 10-14K/year. my daughters are all in or soon to be in preschool or prepreschool.

traffic: at 7:30-8ooam maybe a 45 min drive. at 9:00am - 1/2 hour. I get in at 9:30 - well I used to before kids.

you'll like it here but it won't be cheap.
                  Last edited by 808shooter; April 2, 2007, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Aloha and welcome to HT Steve!!!

I was born and raised on Oahu...now living in Bradford! You'll love it here on HT!
                    Lovena

Comment

Working...
                    X