Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Louisiana!

Aloha kakou!

Leimamo over at HawaiiStories pointed me in this direction, and joining is the second best thing I did this week (the first being joining HawaiiStories...great community)!

I'm hapa in the strictest sense of the word, and I'm here because I'm doing my best to connect to the "Aloha side" of my family. I'm learning to speak Hawaiian, and I've discovered I've learned a lot more about the language browsing the threads here than I have in browsing the Web for articles and such. Since I'm not in Hawai`i and I don't have a Hawaiian community here in Louisiana, forums like HawaiiThreads is the closest to immersion I'm going to get!

I read the thread on the origin of the term "haole," and that blew me away! I really needed to read the differing perspectives on that, and I'm hoping everybody here gets into more discussions about the language. That's just one of those things a person can't really understand unless they're in the middle of it.

My first order of business here is to find out how everybody makes sticky rice! I'm off to the Kaukau Korner!
    ~'Ailina

Re: Aloha from Louisiana!

Aloha from the islands! I've never visited Louisiana...do you have large flying bugs there? The reason I ask is I've visited Florida and remember all kinds of flying bugs splatting on the bumper guard! Have you ever visited Hawaii?
    You'll find enough variety on HI threads to keep you informed. ENJOY!
    Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
      ...do you have large flying bugs there? The reason I ask is I've visited Florida and remember all kinds of flying bugs splatting on the bumper guard! Have you ever visited Hawaii?
      LOL! Wow...you wouldn't believe the variety of big fat flying bugs here. It's like a plague. We've got the infamous South Louisiana mosquitoes, the big disgusting "June bugs" that crunch when you step on them and smack you in the face because they can't fly too well. We've got "Love bug" season when these little black bugs l'amour turn your entire bumper black because when you hit 'em, you get two-for-one, so to speak. Then there's the mosquito hawks, gnats, cockroaches.... It's like, if you walk anywhere, you better keep your mouth closed.

And yeah, I lived in Hawai`i from '90-'94. I was born there, too, because my Dad was born & raised. My mom is from Louisiana, though, so I was pretty much raised mainland.

Thanks for the welcome, Mocha!
      ~'Ailina

Comment

Howzit A'ilina! I took a quick look at your blog -- you're a great writer. Welcome to our place. No need be shy, we no bite!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          Howzit A'ilina! I took a quick look at your blog -- you're a great writer. Welcome to our place. No need be shy, we no bite!
          Mahalo, Glen! Thanks for the compliment. I don't bite either! Promise! lol!
          ~'Ailina

Comment

Glad you found your way. I'm sure you'll like it here, where there's so much to share.
            Send POI

Comment

Working...
            X