Add one more from TX!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add one more from TX!

Hello and Aloha, I'm Mike from Austin! I will be moving to Oahu this summer to take a job teaching high school math and I am counting down the days!
    My complete lack of evidence is proof that the conspiracy is working

Re: Add one more from TX!

Aloha Mike, welcome to HT. Where will you be teaching high school? Have you been familiarizing yourself with the islands? How will you win over the hearts and minds of Hawaii's teens?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hi Lavagal! I will be at Waianae High on the west coast of Oahu. I have been doing relentless research on the region (figured I would learn about the other islands after I arrive) and am looking forward to the challenges that this school will present. I have 4 years experience teaching math (I'm 30) at two of San Antonio's poorest inner-city urban districts - homeless students, non-English speakers, one or both parents in prison, drug addiction, etc. and believe it or not I enjoy working with this demographic. As for hearts and minds, it is my experience that when the students see that you geniuinely care for them, they will usually make the effort.

Any advice? Any other teachers out there?

Thank you!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MountainBikeMike View Post
        Hi Lavagal! I will be at Waianae High on the west coast of Oahu. I have been doing relentless research on the region (figured I would learn about the other islands after I arrive) and am looking forward to the challenges that this school will present. I have 4 years experience teaching math (I'm 30) at two of San Antonio's poorest inner-city urban districts - homeless students, non-English speakers, one or both parents in prison, drug addiction, etc. and believe it or not I enjoy working with this demographic. As for hearts and minds, it is my experience that when the students see that you geniuinely care for them, they will usually make the effort.

Any advice? Any other teachers out there?

Thank you!

Mike
        Waianae HS has an amazing video department and the kids who go through that curriculum generate work recognized beyond Hawaii for its cutting edge messages. You sound like someone who could handle Waianae. Every school has its challenges, and Waianae is one of them. I hope HT teachers will step up and share their experiences with you.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Woo hoo, another Texan coming to the islands, so big aloha welcome to ya!

I'm native Texan, born in Sinton, lived not even a year in Corpus, the next approximate ten in Austin, attending TA Brown Elementary, does it still exist? and then the next approx. 13yrs. in the 'burbs of San Antone. Then married an aircrew sailor and moved to the San Jose, CA 'burbs. Oh...been here....drumroll...dang that number 13, yeppers, been here that long, so far. (believe it or not...lived in Northern CA 13yrs...to the month, LOL couldn't have planned it and had it happen, too weird)
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Welcome, Mike. It sounds like you're up for the challenge of WHS. Lavagal's right about the school's multimedia dept. The kids do some amazing things. I believe Candy Suiso is still in charge.

Are you planning to live along the Waianae Coast? I live right next door to WHS and absolutely love living in Makaha. The beaches are so beautiful. The area is very economically challenged and very rural. There's not much to do in the immediate area which is one of it's attractions for me! At 30, that may be a deterrent for you!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Welcome, Mike. It sounds like you're up for the challenge of WHS. Lavagal's right about the school's multimedia dept. The kids do some amazing things. I believe Candy Suiso is still in charge.

Are you planning to live along the Waianae Coast? I live right next door to WHS and absolutely love living in Makaha. The beaches are so beautiful. The area is very economically challenged and very rural. There's not much to do in the immediate area which is one of it's attractions for me! At 30, that may be a deterrent for you!
              He could hang out at the beach and learn to surf and play ukulele with the braddahs hanging by da tree. Meet some pretty surfer girls. Suck 'em up as the sun goes down. Hibachi going, bud lites all around. A stray fire work goes off. Fresh fish on da grill.

Come to Hawaii with an open heart, don't ever say, "In TEXAS we do it this way...." Because when in Rome do as the romans. When in Hawaii, embrace the sashimi, braddah!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                He could hang out at the beach and learn to surf and play ukulele with the braddahs hanging by da tree.[...]

Not long ago I was at the stop light close to "da tree"! There was a braddah seated against the restroom, sound asleep. Not unusual! Had to drive back that direction awhile later and the dude was still sawin' a log. Heard the next day he was dead.

Oh wait...are you thinking of "da tree" kinda close to the old Cornets? I've never seen anyone surf at Mauna Lahilahi Beach Park. Or are you referring to one of the trees at the famous Makaha surfing beach?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

Not long ago I was at the stop light close to "da tree"! There was a braddah seated against the restroom, sound asleep. Not unusual! Had to drive back that direction awhile later and the dude was still sawin' a log. Heard the next day he was dead.

Oh wait...are you thinking of "da tree" kinda close to the old Cornets? I've never seen anyone surf at Mauna Lahilahi Beach Park. Or are you referring to one of the trees at the famous Makaha surfing beach?

at Makaka Beach. I used to hang out over there with Bufalo and the boys, sometimes Braddah Iz would be there...Rella Sunn... the olden' days! sweeeeet! I was not a regular. Just a welcome guest on ocasion.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                    He could hang out at the beach and learn to surf and play ukulele with the braddahs hanging by da tree. Meet some pretty surfer girls. Suck 'em up as the sun goes down. Hibachi going, bud lites all around. A stray fire work goes off. Fresh fish on da grill.
                    ahhhhhhhhh....I close my eyes and I'm there.

Comment

Welcome to HT! So what all do you like about Hawai'i Nei?
                      'Alika

Comment

Working...
                      X