Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by zztype View Post
    I gotta say, Kalei99 was on the IM earlier this evening trying to get me to tell her my answer to the Waipahu question! She was considering CHANGING HER ANSWER!

Well, whaddaya know, Goat Lady? I almost had you, man!
    Never for a second! It was the best fit. And NOW I think it's a fair question! I take back my "stangle you" comment, Scrivener!

It was totally googleable - I'm in Utah and I found it on google - but it took a lot of research and digging. Sheeesh - that was a tough question.

And I still think my Monopoly answer is correct. Appealing for my point! Proof to follow......
    So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

• Day 27 Questions

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
      Here are the questions for Day 27!

Today, in honor of UHM's whipping of the Washington Huskies Saturday, it's an all-Hawaii day!

1. Category: Volcano Whoa!
        Here is another participant-submitted question!

A one-minute television commerical, with a distinctively Hawaiian theme, aired in the US (c.1967) that showed characters playing the roles of kanaka maoli throwing rice and brown sugar cane sugar (sic) into an active volcano. Moments later, these ingredients are transformed into an edible product that is explosively erupted from the volcano's caldera. What product did this commercial advertise?

2. Category: Tree Scoops Rice
        What Honolulu restaurant has an enormous tree growing right through it?
        I'm editing this to add that this is not al fresco dining...it's an indoor restaurant, and there is a huge tree growing right through it. In case anyone wanted to call one of the hotel lanais a restaurant or something.

3. Category: "Waipahu Must Be Empty Tonight!"
        What did Frank De Lima yell when a tire came off his car and rolled away?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 1! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
      Last edited by scrivener; November 30, 2007, 09:19 PM. Reason: "I'll snatch ya up with a needle-nose plyas!"
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
        And I still think my Monopoly answer is correct. Appealing for my point! Proof to follow......
        Bah! Never mind. States Ave was not on Google Maps, but it is on Mapquest. That's what I get for not checking my facts! aaaaarrrgh. I really needed that point, too.
        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

• Re: Day 26 Answers

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I think B&O Railroad is probably going to have to count, so if you only got half, stick around and see what unfolds!
          Hope so --- the B&O Railroad never went to Atlantic City.
          Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          The Water Works is located in Ventnor, NJ...
          According to the "Monopoly" entry in Wikipedia:
          The actual "Electric Company" and "Water Works" serving the city are respectively Atlantic City Electric Company (a subsidiary of Pepco Holdings) and the Atlantic City Municipal Utilities Authority.
          Further research shows it located at 401 North Virginia Ave, Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            [...]Further research shows it located at 401 North Virginia Ave, Atlantic City, New Jersey.
            But was it located there when the original Monopoly game was released? Just curious!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              But was it located there when the original Monopoly game was released? Just curious!
              Good morning, Sue! You wouldn't have anything to do with today's "volcano" question, would you? Hmmmmmm?

Accepting bribes omiyage from the SuperFerry trip to Maui?
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Not that the question is phrased in present tense: What two properties in the game are actually located in other nearby towns and in what towns are they located?

Yes - I am a stickler for these kinds of details, as is the man in charge of the game...and I need every point I can get, with Blaine trying to get past me (and I doubt I can do anything about Kalei at this point.) Whee!!!

Comment

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain in Seattle!

If he gets this appeal, then I want an extra point for my complete answer.

Original question: The original game of monopoly is based on streets, utilities and railroads that are (mostly) located in Atlantic City, NJ. What two properties in the game are actually located in other nearby towns and in what towns are they located?
                  OOPS!* Not all of the properties in Monopoly are in Atlantic City!* Marvin Gardens is a misspelling of a housing area outside of Atlantic City, Marven Gardens.* The name of the area probably comes from a combination of Margate and Ventnor, two cities outside of Atlantic City.* The mistake stood until 1995, when Parker Brothers sent a formal apology to the folks of Marven Gardens.

OOPS #2!* Atlantic City does not have a Water Works!* Water is actually piped in from the mainland (Atlantic City is on Absecon Island) through two pipes.

And as far as the railroads go, the B&O Railroad did not serve Atlantic City.* The four railroads that served Atlantic City in the 1930s were the Jersey Central, the Seashore Lines, the Reading Railroad, and the Pennsylvania Railroad.* The Short Line railroad probably refers to the Shore Fast Line streetcars that served Atlantic City.
                  And yes, I can cite my sources.
                  Last edited by zztype; December 1, 2007, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Good morning, Sue! You wouldn't have anything to do with today's "volcano" question, would you? Hmmmmmm?

Accepting bribes omiyage from the SuperFerry trip to Maui?
                    Moi??? Not little ol' me! Really! I had to research like the rest of you! However, it did cross my mind that I'd better get this one right! I found the actual commercial and it didn't ring a bell at all. BTW, I have tapes of vintage commercials!
                    Not that the question is phrased in present tense: What two properties in the game are actually located in other nearby towns and in what towns are they located?[...]
                    I see what you mean...just now! I read the question as present tense at the time of the release!

Comment

Hope so --- the B&O Railroad never went to Atlantic City.According to the "Monopoly" entry in Wikipedia: Further research shows it located at 401 North Virginia Ave, Atlantic City, New Jersey.
                      You know, I saw that too. My info is from family lore. The water works in Atlantic City came along later - or so I was told by my father and grandmother and neighbors. When I was real little, we lived across the street from the entrance to Marven Gardens and later, after I was married, I lived around the block from the Water Works. It was a pretty big deal to still have the original water works still in operation. So..... why does Wikipedia have a different answer? 1) I could be wrong..... or 2) Wikipedia is wrong. Just one little statement in my defense, we don't allow students to use Wikipedia as a reference in research papers because all the info is independently contributed and not verified....... But I fully accept that I could be wrong in this. And yes, you are correct in that the B & O never went to AC.

Comment

Not that the question is phrased in present tense: What two properties in the game are actually located in other nearby towns and in what towns are they located?

Yes - I am a stickler for these kinds of details, as is the man in charge of the game...and I need every point I can get, with Blaine trying to get past me (and I doubt I can do anything about Kalei at this point.) Whee!!!
                        Ok - if you want to be that much of a stickler, then you can't count any of the railroads - they all stopped serving Atlantic City waaaay back when .

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                          Ok - if you want to be that much of a stickler, then you can't count any of the railroads - they all stopped serving Atlantic City waaaay back when .
                          Good point - for that matter, Illinois Avenue is now Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, and St. Charles Place no longer exists, either. Scriv: time to toss random points all around!

Oh, and Blaine? Today, I'm the man behind the curtain ... of SNOW! Seattle's getting a couple of inches of flurries at the moment; I drove home from the radio show in the worst of it.

Comment

[...]Oh, and Blaine? Today, I'm the man behind the curtain ... of SNOW! Seattle's getting a couple of inches of flurries at the moment; I drove home from the radio show in the worst of it.
                            There shall be NO sympathy points for snow...so don't even think about it! We've had RAIN! At my house sitting gig, all the outside fish bowls overflowed and the pool is nearing the top.

Comment

Couple of inches of snow??? Wot is DAT? Big deal.

You think you got it bad? I live within a couple of miles of Aloha Stadium and the wife sends me to the store to go get some poi and poke.

Took me an hour to go to the store one mile down the road and come home!

Go 'Bows! Go! Go somewhere else and play football! Where other schools play their football games. Like on their own campus! Miles away from here!

I just survived about 6 square miles of GRIDLOCK.

Football. Bah, humbug!

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                                My info is from family lore...we don't allow students to use Wikipedia as a reference in research papers
                                Family lore is probably more reliable anyway.

I've recently been hearing some "experts" claim that, due to the amount of contributors these days, making more corrections and updates than ever before, Wikipedia is being considered more and more reliable all the time - the bigger the sample, the better the results - sorta thing.
                                Couple of inches of snow??? Wot is DAT? Big deal.

You think you got it bad? I live within a couple of miles of Aloha Stadium and the wife sends me to the store to go get some poi and poke.

Took me an hour to go to the store one mile down the road and come home!
                                Is your wife trying to get revenge on you for something? Maybe she likes Kalei, and is aware of your nefarious plans regarding her and "that silly internet trivia game."

But I would love to see the reactions of you Island folks to this snow. I suspect it would be something along the lines of staying inside (where it's NOT 36 degrees), and commenting on how pretty it is to see as it comes down.

Which is what folks around here ought to be doing, too. Naturally, we have tickets to an event tonight, so we're heading out (but we'll take the bus or walk.) Maybe I can find some time tomorrow to post some of the AF's pictures to the photo thread. (Anyone know how to post a movie - and not on YouTube? AF made a brief one when the flurries were at their heaviest.)

Jeez - I better finish up my trivia submission for tonight, before we head out...

Comment

Working...
                                X