Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

And who said friendly trash talking didn't exist! *dusts my shoulders off, then pops my collar*
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

We have a three-time champ who may be out of web-access for at least part of the game, and although that's not my motivation for starting it now, that's certainly a nice side-benefit! Just kidding!
      So sorry to disappoint you chumps who were hoping I'd be without Internet access during my upcoming visit to Hong Kong and Macau, but pleased be advised that not only is Hong Kong perhaps one of the world's most wired territories, teeming with Internet cafes and coffee shops, my accomodations there are equipped with high-speed Wi-Fi, as well as an Internet room equipped with dedicated high-speed PCs.

Seriously, we've had quite an influx of new HT participants in the past year, so the likelihood that someone might step up and legitimately thrash Surfingfarmboy seems to have improved some.
      You know, I was thinking about sitting out this round of HT Trivia, in order to benevolently allow someone else to expereince the thrill of victory, myself being a thrice-crowned (and still reigning) champion, but when I read that the likelihood of me being "thrash(ed)" has increased due to the influx of new HT members, well, I took them as fighting words. Defend my honor I must.

But don't play for the prizes. Play to teach Surfingfarmboy a lesson he'll never forget!
      And to all who dare challange me in this round of HT Trivia: Talk stink all you want. I'm not saying anything else. I'm going to let my correct answers do all the talking for me.

Best of luck to all of you!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
        And to all who dare challange me in this round of HT Trivia: Talk stink all you want. I'm not saying anything else. I'm going to let my correct answers do all the talking for me.

Best of luck to all of you!
        Wheeehah! So glad to see you here, SFB! Hope I mount a respectable challenge this time, though it seems my trash talk thus far has been deemed less-than respectable!

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Talk stink?

What stink?

I see no stink....this....this is the equivalent of a lobotomy grenade. These tiny fisted throw downs have less weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, chittering until stamped carelessly underfoot. A whitehole of insipidity with all the personality of wallpaper paste.

>;-}p~~~~

Comment

I have every intention of being the newbie to knock out the thee-time champ

Comment

Bump. Bump-itty-bump.

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game
                Here are the answers for Day 1!

Category: Rhode Island and Put Away Wet
                In the current Steve Carrell film, Dan in Real Life, the title character meets, flirts with, and falls for Marie, played by Juliette Binoche. Specifically, he meets her in a store. Specifically, what kind of store?
                It's a good movie, and I recommend it for single, middle-aged losers like me. Dan meets Marie in a Books and Tackle store!

Liberty, tutusue, InfinityProductions, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, and Lavagal get half a point each for saying "bookstore."

Kalei99 got the other half (but not the first half) when she submitted, "dock and tackle store."

Only zztype and Leo Lakio get the full point for the correct answer. They are certainly no MURDERERS OF LOVE!!!!!

Category: Wendy Time is Right, I'll Mary Her
                What musician's songs are peopled with characters named Wendy, Kyle, Mary, Frank, Scooter, and Kate, each in a different song?
                • Wendy: "Wendy let me in / I want to be your friend / I want to guard your dreams and visions..."
                • Kyle: "Take a baby to the river / Kyle William they call him / Wash the baby in the water / Take away little Kyle's sin..."
                • Mary: There are actually several Marys, but the one I was thinking of was
                  "Then I got Mary pregnant
                  and man that was all she wrote
                  And for my nineteenth birthday I got a union card and a wedding coat
                  We went down to the courthouse
                  and the judge put it all to rest
                  No wedding day smiles no walk down the aisle
                  No flowers no wedding dress..."
                • Frank: "Hey, Frank, won't you pack your bags / And meet me tonight down at Liberty Hall / Just one kiss from you, my brother / And we'll ride until we fall..."
                • Scooter: "Tear drops on the city / Bad Scooter searching for his groove / Seem like the whole world walking pretty / And you can't find the room to move..."
                • Bobby: "Bobby's got a gun that he keeps beneath his pillow / Out on the street your chances are zero..."

The songs are "Born to Run," "Reason to Believe," "The River," "This Hard Land," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Murder Incorporated," and the musician is, of course, the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Extended saxophone solos are dedicated to liberty, acousticlady, and Leo Lakio for identifying the Jersey Boy. The most popular wrong answer was "Beach Boys." Other guesses were for Elton John, Sting, Bob Dylan (the best wrong answer), and Israel Kamakawiwoole. If you can prove to me that your answer is just as right as mine, please do.

Category: Glove in the Time of Cholera
                What New York Met was the first Hawaii-born pitcher to be selected for Major League Baseball's All-Star Game?
                I am surprised anyone got this. The obvious answer is Sid Fernandez, of course, who in 1986 became the first Hawaii-born pitcher to actually PITCH in an All-Star Game, but the summer before, Ron Darling (born in Honolulu) was on the team and never made it into the game!

Give InfinityProductions, zztype, and acousticlady a dog and a beer for getting that one right!

After one day, here are the standings:
                2.5: acousticlady
                2: zztype
                1.5: liberty, InfinityProductions, Leo Lakio
                .5: tutusue, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal

...and for the record, liberty had the first response, coming in at 9:58 p.m.

We're only 1/30th of the way through this thing, so don't hesitate to jump in! Almost everyone on HT is only half a point behind the defending three-time champ!

new questions, next post!
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Absolutely AWESOME and I sit corrected, I didn't answer first oh well. ACOUSTICLADY whoop whoop! And, honest to Betsy I was leaning towards the Boss, but I went on a guessing limb and answered, The Cure!
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!
                    Here are the questions for Day 2!
                    1. Category: Tripper? I Don't Even Know 'Er!
                      On TV's Friends, the main characters' favorite hangout is a cafe called Central Perk. For half a point each, what are the names of the characters' favorite hangouts in each of these television shows?
                      • Taxi
                      • Three's Company
                      • Beverly Hills, 90210
                      • Happy Days
                      • Seinfeld
                      • Ally McBeal

2. Category: That's Using the Old Noodle
                      What Maui establishment is revered by locals for its dry saimin, served with a broth for dipping?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, November 5! Good luck, and have fun!
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

this Jersey girl hangs her head in shame!! Onto redemption, day two.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

[...].5: tutusue, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal[...]
                        Hot Dang...I'm in good company. Ok, I'm having fun now!!!

Comment

Grrrr! At 9:58:53 p.m. Mere seconds after I hit the "Ally McBeal" Google search and about a minute before I was to submit my answers, Oceanic dropped (according to help desk) 7,000 subscribers, including me. > Grrrrr! 10:38 p.m., the connection came back.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                            Grrrr! At 9:58:53 p.m. Mere seconds after I hit the "Ally McBeal" Google search and about a minute before I was to submit my answers, Oceanic dropped (according to help desk) 7,000 subscribers, including me. > Grrrrr! 10:38 p.m., the connection came back.
                            Oooh, I feel your pain, only my last search was for "Taxi"! So I submitted my answers via my iPhone... only to find that the connection had already come back up.

Comment

Man, my lasik is failing me....I coulda swore it said Dock, not Book. But after reviewing the tape, I see the "Book."

That's OK....it's only Day one. And I'm still on par with SurfingFarmBoy -- so I feel good.
                              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Only zztype and Leo Lakio get the full point for the correct answer.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Extended saxophone solos are dedicated to liberty, acousticlady, and Leo Lakio for identifying the Jersey Boy.
                                ~~~~~~~~
                                After one day, here are the standings:
                                1.5: liberty, InfinityProductions, Leo Lakio
                                Umm...I got two out of three right - so howcum I only get 1.5 in the standings?

Comment

Working...
                                X