Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Man, that's it? Only since 1976? I moved to Waipahu in 1978 and it seemed like it had been there forever. I wonder if maybe there was another owner who ran a store on that property, and Nii took it over around 1976.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
      i want to APPEAL!!! its in the shape of a breast!! that's a shape..hehe

You need further information to forward your appeal yanno....

What's the cup size?

Comment

Time to show 'em or fold 'em, people! Lock in those final answers!
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

• Day 32 Answers

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
          Here are the answers for Day 32!

Category: They're Grrrrrrrrape!
          Participant-submitted question!

If you add crusted wine and beeswing into your cooking, you'll get brighter veggies, fluffier flapjacks and sweeter lollies! What are you putting into that strange brew?
          Cream of tartar. Did you folks see how the stuff is made? Wow. This question is from Peshkwe, who gets one point because Mike_Lowery, liberty, lavagal, zztype, tutusue, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, CranBeree, and Kalei99 got it right!

Category: "Hey You Guuuuuuuuys!"
          What is that gigantic blade in front of Hawaiian Electric's offices, across the Blaisdell Center?
          It's a prop from a wind turbine. Huge, that thing. Looks like a rejected candidate for the black thingie from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I always expect to see monkey hitting each other with femurs in its shadow.

Yay for Mike_Lowery, helen, liberty, Peshkwe, lavagal, zztype, tutusue, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, and Kalei99, who all got that right!

Category: Baby You Can Drive My Car
          What sporty Volkswagen model was so closely related to the Beetle that many of its parts were interchangeable with a Beetle's?
          We're talking about the Karmann Ghia. I expect some appeals on this one, so please make sure you send a URL for confirmation if you're inclined to argue this one! Peshkwe owned one in Germany! I'm sooooo jealous!

Vroom vroom to Mike_Lowery, Peshkwe, lavagal, zztype, tutusue, Surfingfarmboy, CranBeree, Kalei99, and kanahina for getting that right!

HERE!
          85: Kalei99
          79.5: Leo Lakio
          72.25: zztype
          68.5: liberty
          64.75: tutusue
          61.75: Surfingfarmboy
          60.75: acousticlady
          57: Mike_Lowery
          50.75: lavagal
          48.25: InfinityProductions
          43.5: Peshkwe
          39.5: CranBeree
          [WITHDRAWN]: mel
          31: kanahina
          24.75: helen
          13: Palama Kid
          10.25: kiwidiva
          9.5: jdub

New questions, next post! We only have two more nights' worth of questions to go!
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Day 33 Questions

Here are the questions for Day 33 (are you kidding me?!?)!

1. Category: You Don't Know Where in the World is Jack!

Where in Honolulu would you see a Union Jack as you flew over?

We're not looking for a Hawaii state flag, but a Union Jack in a possibly unexpected place!

Yes, the participant who submits this question encourages you to use Google Earth.

2. Category: They Love You to Pieces
              For a quarter of a point each, identify the movie slasher who:
              1. Killed his older sister, was sent away, escaped, and returned to kill more teenagers.
              2. Fell into a vat of poisonous waste, mutated, then used his powers for good rather than evil.
              3. Killed his wife in front of his young daughter.
              4. Sought vengeance on the girl who decapitated his mother, then killed and killed again. And again.
              5. Killed his mother, preserved his mother, then became his mother.
              6. Killed people under orders from his family so they could make chili with the corpses.

3. Category: Water Friends For?
              What's so special about the drinking fountain at the Honolulu Academy of Arts?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 8! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Ahhhh! Can't believe I missed posting my answers yesteray!

Comment

• Re: Day 33 Questions

Never mind. Move along. Carry on.
                Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 8, 2007, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                  And I, personally, thank you for that!

Comment

• Re: Day 31 Answers!

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    [...] it would diminish the "fun" factor of the game - which, in the end, is all this is about.

Bragging rights and small prizes are not the reason I played all this time - it was simply a bit of fun, and I am grateful to Scrivener for the opportunity. I hope everyone can take a similar perspective, and that Scrivener will not hesitate to do this again.
                    BRAVO!!! This is a frivolously fun, trivia game with nothing much at stake. I never gave a 2nd thought to cream of tartar 'til a couple of days ago! Who'da thunk?!!! I sure wish this contest was happening in January when I start my daily journal adding something new I've learned each day. This contest woulda made the first 31 entries very easy!

Comment

• Re: Day 32 Answers

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      Peshkwe owned one in Germany! I'm sooooo jealous!
                      Heh...don't be. Surprisingly for a German car it don't like the mountains. I REALLY liked the Opel we had much better....'course living up a mountainside could have colored my vision a bit. Particularly in the winter.

Comment

• Day 33 Answers

Here are the answers for Day 33 (are you kidding me?!?)!

Category: You Don't Know Where in the World is Jack!

Where in Honolulu would you see a Union Jack as you flew over?
                        We're not looking for a Hawaii state flag, but a Union Jack in a possibly unexpected place! Yes, the participant who submits this question encourages you to use Google Earth.

It's Thomas Square! Is this not the coolest thing?

Here's what I find really, really interesting about this question: First, when I conceived the "participant-submitted question," it was with the hopes that we'd add to the variety of questions in the pool, since I am but one person and even my interests are limited in scope. Second, I was hoping that participants would be challenged to submit questions that would be difficult but that at least one or two people would get! A super-easy question is fine (I try to include a few of them myself), but it doesn't really help anyone out, whereas a tough question benefits the asker and the few correct respondents. I like that thought.

I think this is the first participant-submitted question to receive exactly ONE correct answer! Peshkwe, who has never even been here, if I remember correctly, got it right, which means zztype gets one point! And they are the only people to score on this question! Woo hoo!

Category: They Love You to Pieces
                        For a quarter of a point each, identify the movie slasher who:
                        1. Killed his older sister, was sent away, escaped, and returned to kill more teenagers. -- Michael Myers of the Halloween films.
                        2. Fell into a vat of poisonous waste, mutated, then used his powers for good rather than evil. -- Melvin Ferd of the Toxic Avenger series.
                        3. Killed his wife in front of his young daughter. -- Freddy Krueger of the Nightmare on Elm Street series.
                        4. Sought vengeance on the girl who decapitated his mother, then killed and killed again. And again. -- Jason Voorhees of the Friday the 13th series.
                        5. Killed his mother, preserved his mother, then became his mother. -- Norman Bates of the Psycho series.
                        6. Killed people under orders from his family so they could make chili with the corpses. -- Leatherface of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre series.

Yikes. I freaked myself just researching and then typing those questions!

CranBeree: abdef for 1.25 points.
                        kanahina: abde for 1 point.
                        Peshkwe: abcdef for 1.5 points.
                        Mike_Lowery: abdef for 1.25 points.
                        Leo Lakio: abdef for 1.25 points.
                        liberty: abcdef for 1.5 points.
                        Kalei99: abcdef for 1.5 points.
                        acousticlady: acdef for 1.25 points.
                        helen: abe for .75 points.

Category: Water Friends For?
                        What's so special about the drinking fountain at the Honolulu Academy of Arts?
                        Wow. I'm rather surprised that nobody got this one. The drinking fountain, located just inside the entrance near the sign-in desk, is fed directly by one of the many artesian wells in the area, so it is always ice-cold, fresh, and delicious! You really must stop in when you're in the area, just for a few sips of this great water!

There have been several comments on the length of this game! "Are you kidding me is right!" "Isn't it time to wrap this up already?" and "I'm finished in this marathon!" were my favorites! I agree -- it has been a fun contest, but enough is enough! However, I could feel the lack of drive in the private messages, and I would like to exit not with a whimper, but with a bang, so everyone take one night off and we'll have one last, fun night Sunday night through Monday night, okay? Take a deep breath, fix your sights on the finish line, put one foot in front of the other, and come back Sunday night for one last question. Then we'll take a break until whatever the next game is!

Okay? Bring it in! "Determined" on three, ready? One, two, three, DETERMINED!

---

appeals: Leo Lakio's getting 1 point for his answer to the VW question yesterday ("The Thing"). Kalei99 and liberty are getting one point each for their Sacramento Bee answers. You have to admit, it was quite impressive that they got that. I mean, zztype emailed the Sac Bee, but Kalei99 CALLED IT ON THE PHONE!

---

scores:
                        87.5: Kalei99
                        81.75: Leo Lakio
                        73.25: zztype
                        71: liberty
                        64.75: tutusue
                        62: acousticlady
                        61.75: Surfingfarmboy
                        58.25: Mike_Lowery
                        50.75: lavagal
                        48.25: InfinityProductions
                        46: Peshkwe
                        40.75: CranBeree
                        [WITHDRAWN]: mel
                        32: kanahina
                        26.5: helen
                        13: Palama Kid
                        10.25: kiwidiva
                        9.5: jdub

New questions on Sunday night at 9:00. I'll make 'em good!
                        Last edited by scrivener; December 8, 2007, 08:24 PM. Reason: "There's a brand new dance, and it's called The Bird!"
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Ehhh, funnykine! Where stay da Goat Lady? I know she went ski, but she live 30 minutes from the slopes! No way she would miss this.

Hmmmmm.

Comment

Category: Baby You Can Drive My Car
                            What sporty Volkswagen model was so closely related to the Beetle that many of its parts were interchangeable with a Beetle's?
                            The only "sporty" Volkswagen with interchangeable Beetle parts was the Karmann Ghia. The Thing was not a "sporty" Vdub, more of a "utility" VW, a military vehicle. Thing was not a sports car.

My first car was a 1966 VW Bug. Since then I've owned 2 other bugs and 2 Vans. I repaired and maintained them all, myself. I have worked on Bugs, Buses, Karmann Ghias, Squarebacks, Fastbacks and even a Notchback. (I have not worked on a Thing.)

The only sports model of the air-cooled Volkswagen was the Karmann Ghia.

I protest the point awarded for The Thing answer. That is NOT correct.

Blaine

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                              Ehhh, funnykine! Where stay da Goat Lady? I know she went ski, but she live 30 minutes from the slopes! No way she would miss this.
                              What do you mean? She answered the slasher question and said that was all she had energy for after skiing all day.

As for the sportiness of the Thing, I agree with that statement, but "sporty" is such a subjective term, and to be honest, I always thought of the Thing as sporty myself. I only know so much about cars, and the links Leo gave me were enough to convince me to award the point.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                                Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                And I, personally, thank you for that!
                                <sigh> Now it's my turn to say I can't believe I missed posting the answers to yesterday's questions! I did a total brain fut!

Scriv...I'd like to appeal all of Day 32. I need another 24 hours! <ggg>

Comment

Working...
                                X