X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    Hey! You're in fine company! @;-)
    Why, yes, I am, now that you mention it!
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

• Day 34 Answers

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
      Here are the answers for Day 34 and the final scores for the Fourth Contest!
      1. The first sound clip is from an interview of Maggie Q by Craig Ferguson. It turns out that THIS was the medium-difficulty question. I'd never have gotten it, but liberty, kanahina, helen, Peshkwe, Kalei99, tutusue, InfinityProductions, and Mike_Lowery got it right. You want electricity? Do a Google Image search for her. Holy cow.

From the Ferguson interview:

2. The second clip is an interview of Evangeline Lilly by David Letterman. I knew this one would be easy, but I don't know that I'd have gotten this one, either! However, zztype, liberty, kanahina, helen, Peshkwe, Kalei99, tutusue, InfinityProductions, acousticlady, and Leo Lakio got it right!

3. I thought this one would be easy, because when people say "Hawaii actress," this is who I think of. It's Kelly Hu in a clip from her good-but-canceled In Case of Emergency. Seriously, I know it got off to a weak start, but it got quite good after a few episodes and none of you rode it out! I blame you all for another talented local actress being out of a job! Only helen, Kalei99, and Mike_Lowery got that right.

From the episode that gave the clip:

Popular wrong guesses were Margaret Cho, Sandra Oh (neither of whom have anything to do with Hawaii -- in fact, Sandra Oh is Canadian!), Keiko Agena, and Kelly Preston.

Aaaaand here are the final scores!

90.5: Kalei99
      82.75: Leo Lakio
      74.25: zztype
      73: liberty
      66.75: tutusue
      63: acousticlady
      61.75: Surfingfarmboy
      60.25: Mike_Lowery
      50.75: lavagal
      50.25: InfinityProductions
      48: Peshkwe
      40.75: CranBeree
      [WITHDRAWN]: mel
      34: kanahina
      29.5: helen
      13: Palama Kid
      10.25: kiwidiva
      9.5: jdub

We have a new champion! Kalei99 took a share of the lead on about the third or fourth day and never looked back. I think we can all agree that at least for this round, the best competitor won, yes? Yes, she brought the smack-talk, but that's the way we like it, and she backed it up night after night!

In second and third places are Leo Lakio and zztype! zz finished strongly AGAIN. I think we can all be grateful that he has a family, or I have a feeling he'd kick everyone's butts.

The first consolation prize for most regular participation from a non-winner is helen, once again! The second consolation prize for best wrong answers from a non-winner goes to tutusue!

Where most people's private messages had titles like "Day 10!" or "answers," tutusue's all had titles like, "tutusue is clueless!" or "tutusue needs a secretary!" The funny thing is that sometimes when she said she was clueless, she got all three correct!

Honorable mention in the good answers department goes to lavagal, who always took a moment to tell me about her day, or to wish me a good day myself. It was extremely flirty, but I'm made of stronger stuff.

Kalei99 did a lot of that, too, but she won, so there's no telling how effective that might have otherwise been!

I have a little secret: I was rooting first for zztype because of his second-place finishes in the past, and I was sorta rooting for Surfingfarmboy to still kick everyone's butts. He had a great run, though, don't you think?

The king is dead! Long live the queen!

Okay, so here's how the prize distribution works. I have six prizes ('though I need to confirm one with the donor first). I'll offer them first to Kalei99. Whatever she leaves will be what Leo Lakio gets to choose from, and we'll continue that way until tutusue gets her choice from among the two prizes that remain. Whatever's leftover will be for the next trivia contest, which will be sometime next year!

Thanks for playing, everyone. I had a blast, and you could tell things were a lot more competitive this time because even though I think I'm a good question-writer, people kept coming up with ways to get points for answers I never intended!

Thanks for giving me something to do at night. Now I guess I have no excuses for not working on my paper!
      Last edited by scrivener; December 10, 2007, 10:27 PM. Reason: "I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        As Scrivener noted, "sporty" is completely subjective. The Thing resembled a Jeep (also originally a military vehicle), and a lot of people consider Jeeps to be "sporty." He didn't say it was a "sports car" - that would be different.[...]
        I just realized today that the car parked very near mine, a car I walk next to each day going to and from my car, is a...THING!!! It's so ugly! Nuthin' sporty about it!

(I need to strip LL of 7.25 points! )

Comment

Hoo-rah! Mahalo nui, Scrivener! My wife cannot believe the amount of work that went into running this contest, nor the amount of hysteria it induced among its participants!

Thanks to you, Thanksgiving dinner was a SCREAM, with Kalei and me sitting side-by-side, trading barbs and teasing about the answers to some of the questions. In the mean time, the whole family just sat there open-mouthed, asking polite questions about what the heck was going on! We had to explain the contest, the participants and even showed them a few examples on the iPhone what the heck we were talking about!

Thanks again, thank you, thank you! You're right! Now what am I going to do? Guess I'll go to bed now.

Good night and congratulations to EVERYBODY who participated!

Blaine

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            I just realized today that the car parked very near mine, a car I walk next to each day going to and from my car, is a...THING!!! It's so ugly! Nuthin' sporty about it!

(I need to strip LL of 7.25 points! )
            Bwaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa! See? EXACTLY what I said!

Comment

A few more thoughts:

I was greatly encouraged by the participation of liberty and Peshkwe -- two very strong competitors who seemingly came out of nowhere! I seriously agree with Kalei99 who said that liberty's the one we have to look out for.

Other new participants this time around were acousticlady, kanahina, Mike_Lowery, and InfinityProductions! Did you notice that Infinity and Kalei (and occasionally liberty) were the most likely to get the ones nobody else got? That was kinda cool.

Anyway, I appreciate your indulging me night after night and...let's do it again sometime.

Who's got the next game?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Re: Day 34 Answers

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                [...][*]I thought this one would be easy, because when people say "Hawaii actress," this is who I think of. It's Kelly Hu [...]
                Oh...good...gawd! And to think Kelly's been thru my office and I *never* thought of her!
                Popular wrong guesses were Margaret Cho, Sandra Oh (neither of whom have anything to do with Hawaii -- in fact, Sandra Oh is Canadian!), Keiko Agena, and Kelly Preston.
                Wow! I was really off base with Yunjin Kim! Well, she isn't caucasian and she does have Hawaii ties!

[...]The second consolation prize for best wrong answers from a non-winner goes to tutusue!
                Well, if I'm gonna be wrong I might as well be the best at it! I've had a lot of practice over my lengthy lifetime!
                Where most people's private messages had titles like "Day 10!" or "answers," tutusue's all had titles like, "tutusue is clueless!" or "tutusue needs a secretary!" The funny thing is that sometimes when she said she was clueless, she got all three correct!
                Luck of the Irish, I guess!
                [...]Okay, so here's how the prize distribution works. I have six prizes ('though I need to confirm one with the donor first). I'll offer them first to Kalei99. Whatever she leaves will be what Leo Lakio gets to choose from, and we'll continue that way until tutusue gets her choice from among the two prizes that remain. Whatever's leftover will be for the next trivia contest, which will be sometime next year!
                I getta PRIZE?!! oh...Oh...OH...you liked me. You really liked me! <g>

Congrats, Kalei. Please don't play next time!

Thanks, Scriv. That was so much fun but, to tell the truth, I'm glad it's FINALLY OVER!!!!

Comment

This was pretty fun! I guess it's time to actually do work while at work now. Booooooo....
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

• Re: Day 34 Answers

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    [*]I thought this one would be easy, because when people say "Hawaii actress," this is who I think of. It's Kelly Hu in a clip from her good-but-canceled In Case of Emergency. Seriously, I know it got off to a weak start, but it got quite good after a few episodes and none of you rode it out! I blame you all for another talented local actress being out of a job! Only helen, Kalei99, and Mike_Lowery got that right.
                    I kept thinking Kelly Hu would be on one of the clips, but the way the lines were delivered in that third clip sounded a lot like something out of "Gilmore Girls" (which I don't watch, but I had a roommate who watched this show regularly). So that's why I put Keiko Agena.

I was greatly encouraged by the participation of liberty and Peshkwe -- two very strong competitors who seemingly came out of nowhere! I seriously agree with Kalei99 who said that liberty's the one we have to look out for.

Other new participants this time around were acousticlady, kanahina, Mike_Lowery, and InfinityProductions! Did you notice that Infinity and Kalei (and occasionally liberty) were the most likely to get the ones nobody else got? That was kinda cool.
                    I'm all for trivia, and it was loads of fun to be playing along, not to mention reading about the amusing rivalry/competition between Kalei and zztype! Congrats to Kalei and the other winners! Props to scrivener for putting out some tough questions, and to all the participants for making this a great game!

Comment

I was going to go with Kelly Hu for the last one, but tossed it after listening a few times. It sounded like her but not...

What the hell did she do to her voice? It sounds like she inhaled a carton of smokes!

I didn't do to badly considering I didn't play until day 15.

Comment

That was seriously fun, Scrivener! Thank you for all of your hard work! Although my husband thatnks you for finally ending it. I don't think I could explain "just one more night" to him again as I told him two weeks ago that it was ending real soon. He would sometimes find me "working on my questions" at 2:00 am so that I wouldn't disrupt my workday. That's when my best google-fu would work.

I, too, had a great Thanksgiving with Blaine. Just like on Survivor, we schemed to win that million dollars - all the while planning to squash each other at the same time! It kept it fun for me.

Thank you, as well, to all the people who kept it fun with their smack-talk. It kept me going. Seriously. There were many nights that I thought I might not have time to submit something. But then I'd see some "encouraging words" from Leo Lakio, Tutusue, Blaine, or Mike Lowery. And not to mention Scrivs "beat Kalei" at the end of every question post. You all kept me going!

I have to say that not only did I learn from the questions themselves, but I also learned a lot in doing the research. I often got lost in the searches and found myself reading something interesting about a totally different subject. It was great. Now I'm full of even more useless knowledge that could someday win me another Trivia contest!

Just for Tutusue - some of my ancient chinese secrets involve:

- Google Archives. If you have a date and a place, articles often come up on Google Archive that don't necessarily come up on a regular google search. Such as in the case of the Parent Trap question.
                        -Google Images. They sometimes contain "descriptions" or information that don't come up on web searches.
                        -Forums. You don't know an answer? Ask an expert! (Hey, it's the same as asking your co-worker in my book!)
                        -YouTube.com found me a lot of answers
                        - Ask the source! I emailed Frank Delima himself and I got an answer within 60 seconds of emailing the question. Same goes for the Sacramento Bee.
                        -Last but not least, know the host. I would often search Scriv's site for clues or information about him that would help me answer the questions. He often asked about things that he liked. Knowing him, I knew the three clips from last night all HAD to be hot chicks! Haha

Maybe I'll try my hand at administering one of the next contests - so Scriv can play. My husband always tells people that the only questions I get on Jeopardy are the ones that no one else gets because I have all this obscure, off the wall trivia floating around in this noggin' of mine.

Anyway....Thanks again, everyone - I had a blast! Now back to work for me!

Kalei
                        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                          I was going to go with Kelly Hu for the last one, but tossed it after listening a few times. It sounded like her but not...

What the hell did she do to her voice? It sounds like she inhaled a carton of smokes!

I didn't do to badly considering I didn't play until day 15.
                          She's just oh so sultry.
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

So, I recall playing in the last game (I wasn't on HT for the first two rounds), but not really being "into it" until a little ways in, and I squeaked into fourth place right on the last day (too bad there were only three prizes that round). This time, I had the time and inclination to do more work on my answers, as I have always loved trivia and related games (no one wants to play against me in Trivial Pursuit any longer), and it got me up the list a bit more, but...

Kalei clearly did the required work and research to win, and it paid off big time for her; I never caught up to her at any point, and it was a pleasure to come in behind someone who was so willing to commit to whatever it took - I bow to her!

As for this business:
                            Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Originally posted by zztype View Post
                            Bwaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa! See? EXACTLY what I said!
                            Blaine, were you this much of a whiner when you were in the Navy? Man, I would HATE to have been cooped up in a submarine with you! Seriously, let it go. I know you hated having your kid sister beat you, but don't take it out on me. (You folks just tired of having this contest regularly dominated by Mainland posters, o' wot? )

Everybody have fun at the party tonight - and if you get it in your heads to call us with good holiday wishes again, please remember --- it's two hours later in Seattle!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              (no one wants to play against me in Trivial Pursuit any longer
                              You have that problem too, huh?

Everybody have fun at the party tonight - and if you get it in your heads to call us with good holiday wishes again, please remember --- it's two hours later in Seattle!
                              Ditto what leo said and it's 3 hours later in Utah!
                              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                                Ditto what leo said and it's 3 hours later in Utah!
                                *Makes mental note... "Call Kalei at 2 a.m., not midnight."*

Wot, Leo, No ack! I know your phone numbah, too!

Comment

Working...
                                X