Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ENTRY FORM Hawaii Threads Photo Contest

Originally posted by zztype
    Here you go folks. If you're interested in participating, please fill in this form on my site and when I get a bunch of people all set up with galleries, we'll start the contest!

The galleries will be set up at http://www.zztype.com/gallery/hawaiithreads
    Questions:

1. Upon filling the form out, will our personal information be published on your website? I would only want my hawaiithreads user name to be visible, not personal information.

2. Are contestants limited to only one of the 3 camera type catergories? I have more than one camera type... point and shoot digital and film, 35mm SLR, digital SLR, old photos.

3. Are old photos eligible?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Hawaii Threads Photo Scavenger Hunt

You might want to explain "Link to HawaiiThreads Post" - I guessed that you wanted a link to a post I made to prove I'm a member, but that was just a guess. Also, linking an individual post is a bit odd -- I'd suggest folks use the white "#" link at the top right of each post for this field (if this is what it's for!).

Comment

No, no, no, heck no. I ask for that info just so I know who I'm giving access to on my server. I promise I will not sell your name to a spammer!!! I swear!!!! I figure if you'll give me that info, I can trust you not to get nutz on my server and make trouble.

Take a look at the gallery I set up. There are already a few people set up in there. You would be set up no different.

I never considered "cross category" entries. I really didn't think of film, as you would have to scan or otherwise digitize the photo to stick it on the gallery. Therefore, I would probably consider that "regular."

Can you enter more than one category? *shrug* Why? You not goin' win nuttin, at least as it stands now. (I gotta scrape up some cash for decent prizes.)

Sheesh, Mel! Old photos? I didn't think of that, either. I don't have enough money for prizes on 12 divisions! I guess I was thinking more of "new" photos, or more recent photos. I guess if you have them, and they fit the category, you can use them. What the heck. But the archival stuff from Honoka'a in the 1970s probably doesn't fit with what we're getting at here.

Does that answer your questions?

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          You might want to explain "Link to HawaiiThreads Post" - I guessed that you wanted a link to a post I made to prove I'm a member, but that was just a guess. Also, linking an individual post is a bit odd -- I'd suggest folks use the white "#" link at the top right of each post for this field (if this is what it's for!).
          Yes, that was just to "prove" you are a regular HawaiiThreads user and not just some lurker. The link to a HawaiiStories Post box asks for an url to a post you made to prove your active status.

Of course, I know who all of you guys are... you could link to disneyland.com and I would figure it out. But if anyone I don't know enters, at least I'll have some indication of who the are.

Comment

No, no, no, heck no. I ask for that info just so I know who I'm giving access to on my server. I promise I will not sell your name to a spammer!!! I swear!!!! I figure if you'll give me that info, I can trust you not to get nutz on my server and make trouble.
            Oh Blaine, I wasn't worried about you selling names to spammers. I just don't want this information to be easily made available. If it is only my username, I'm ok.

I never considered "cross category" entries. I really didn't think of film, as you would have to scan or otherwise digitize the photo to stick it on the gallery. Therefore, I would probably consider that "regular."
            So "regular" can include all point and shoot (digital or digitized film prints), SLR (both digital and film).... right??? Or digital SLR have to be in the pro-category?

Can you enter more than one category? *shrug* Why? You not goin' win nuttin, at least as it stands now. (I gotta scrape up some cash for decent prizes.)
            Prizes are not my motivation in entering, just seeing to see if I can actually shoot within the topics that may be presented. I never won anything in Scrivener's contest, don't expect to win anything in this one. Never entered with the intent of winning... just participating. Like Scrivener's game, I never played it everyday and I suspect the same in yours. Those who play more have a better chance of getting higher scores than those who play less. I have no problem with that.

Sheesh, Mel! Old photos? I didn't think of that, either. I don't have enough money for prizes on 12 divisions! I guess I was thinking more of "new" photos, or more recent photos. I guess if you have them, and they fit the category, you can use them. What the heck. But the archival stuff from Honoka'a in the 1970s probably doesn't fit with what we're getting at here.
            No, I certainly don't expect to include any Honokaa photos in this. However I do already have thousands of digital photos already taken and if something fits, why invent the wheel all over again????

I dunno, I just thought I ask some questions before I decide to play with this. I have no intent of wrecking your server. I don't think anyone can since you are Mac based...

You'd have more concerns if you were running one on Windoze.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Tellya what, Mel. Your DSLR/SLR stuff I'd consider pro-level or pro-sumer equipment. The "regular" division was for everyday point-and-shoot photography without the benefit of interchangable lenses, flash umbrellas, etc.

If you want an album in both Regular and Big Boi category, for you, considering who you are, I'd give you both!

I don't think I'll get too many cross-category applicants, but what the heck, let's go for it.

And I agree, you don't have to "reinvent the wheel." You can use what you already have if it fits. Preferably it will be new stuff that hasn't run before on the cover of Time Magazine or something like that.

Aloha,

Blaine

P.S., Serves me right for rolling with this half-baked idea!!!!

Comment

I have to wonder why a DSLR would be considered exclusively pro-equipment when a lot of amateurs (like myself) own one. I am not really shooting anything "professional" these days. Cover of Time? That'll be the day...
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

P.S., Serves me right for rolling with this half-baked idea!!!!
                  Now there's a great idea for a first theme: "Half-Baked." Hmmm...the possibilities seem endless!
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Simple: Because the DSLR has the benefit of a wide variety of lenses, flash, exposure and resolution options that point-and-shoot just can't come close to.

Come on, I had to split it up somehow. I don't want the SLR/DSLR competing with point and shoot.

You wouldn't put the DSLR against Camera Phones, right?

Comment

Yes, you got a point regarding DSLR vs. P&S vs. Cameraphone. Maybe I'll just use my old TLR...
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Here are a few more technical points to consider:

1. Point and shoot these days can include anything from the real cheap 1 megapixel $19 digital camera I seen for sale at WalMart to those Nikon Coolpix 7900 and 8800 cameras, which are like DSLRs except that you can't remove the lens. Ditto for the Canon S1, a 3.2 megapixel camera that has a 10x optical zoom. Sony has some pretty high end P&S cameras too. Are these point and shoots? Certainly they are not DSLRs since the lenses cannot be physically changed.

2. Will there be some kind of resolution threshold or limit to the size of photos submitted? A megapixel range or size range (like say 400 pixels wide)?

3. There are some cameraphones that probably rival some of the P&S cameras these days in terms of picture clarity. I think I read somewhere that Samsung now has a cameraphone that has a 7 megapixel camera in it.

4. What about enhanced photos done in photoshop? Will only the raw unedited camera file be eligible or will users be able to photoshop their pictures for sharpness, saturation, etc.? If not, that leaves out scanned photos and a lot of old photos taken with film cameras as nearly all of these are photoshopped in some way.

I know, I know... more questions.
                        Last edited by mel; April 5, 2005, 11:04 PM.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Another question. While I have a whole bunch of (cheap) digital cameras, I sort of have it down to two different cameras depending on what needs to be done. Do I need to stick to one camera during the "Scavenger Hunt"?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                            Another question. While I have a whole bunch of (cheap) digital cameras, I sort of have it down to two different cameras depending on what needs to be done. Do I need to stick to one camera during the "Scavenger Hunt"?
                            Nah, use what you got. Only concern is if you're using high-end equipment, you should check yourself into the Big Boi ward instead of sneaking into the cheapo category.

Blaine

Comment

Big Boi? What about, you know, non-male semi-pro photographers? I can think of at least one, here...

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                                1. Point and shoot these days can include anything from the real cheap 1 megapixel $19 digital camera I seen for sale at WalMart to those Nikon Coolpix 7900 and 8800 cameras, which are like DSLRs except that you can't remove the lens. Ditto for the Canon S1, a 3.2 megapixel camera that has a 10x optical zoom. Sony has some pretty high end P&S cameras too. Are these point and shoots? Certainly they are not DSLRs since the lenses cannot be physically changed.
                                If you go read my original post, notice I say that the "pro" division is "Scout's Honor." If you're using high-end equipment, you should check yourself into the Big Boi ward instead of sneaking into the cheapo category. It's pretty much left up to you to be honest.

Originally posted by mel
                                2. Will there be some kind of resolution threshold or limit to the size of photos submitted? A megapixel range or size range (like say 400 pixels wide)?
                                Nah, the Gallery software will resize the photos on the fly for Thumbnail, Display and Full-Size views. Go take a look at the sample I posted. If you click the thumbnail, you see the Display size, which was sampled to 640 wide by the software. If you click the Display size photo, you'll see the Full size photo. You upload a "high" quality JPEG photo to the Gallery, it does the rest. Neat software, and free! http://gallery.sourceforge.net

Originally posted by mel
                                3. There are some cameraphones that probably rival some of the P&S cameras these days in terms of picture clarity. I think I read somewhere that Samsung now has a cameraphone that has a 7 megapixel camera in it.
                                Come on, now. I had to cut it off someplace. Ho da technical!

Originally posted by mel
                                4. What about enhanced photos done in photoshop? Will only the raw unedited camera file be eligible or will users be able to photoshop their pictures for sharpness, saturation, etc.? If not, that leaves out scanned photos and a lot of old photos taken with film cameras as nearly all of these are photoshopped in some way.
                                Standard crop, brighten, rotate, sharpen, etc. operations in Photoshop are perfectly permissible. However, remember, it's NOT a Photoshop contest. Overprocessing an image in Photoshop will not get you more "points." "Photo-Illustration" was not one of the categories.

Comment

Working...
                                X