• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrivener
    replied
    Re: HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Day 19 Answers, concluded!
    The artwork is a very large mosaic located in the Leiopapa a Kamehameha Building (also known as the State Office Tower), across Beretania from St. Andrew's Cathedral. It's called Leiopapa a Kamehameha (1992) and it's by Yvonne Cheng. This thing is just amazing, I tell you. Here are a few details (I have more, but really, you should just go see it yourself!):

And while you're there, walk over to the elevator and check out the little history they have there, explaining who Leiopapa was, and how really cool his parents were.

Okay. Glen Miyashiro and AbsolutChaos correctly identified the mosaic.

This means that the final scores are!
    38: Glen Miyashiro
    25: helen, mel
    23: kimo55
    21: dick
    20: AbsolutChaos
    19: Surfingfarmboy
    14: lavagal
    8: Linkmeister
    7:1stwahine
    6: cezanne
    5: moto
    3: AuntieNellieKulolo
    2: jdub, shave ice, Keith H.

Thanks to everyone for playing! And thanks to everyone for indulging my little exercise. A great number of the art works I photographed can be seen on self-guided walking tours. I don't have a URL because I'm lazy, but if you Google "art in public places" and "walking tour" and "honolulu" all together (put those first two terms in quotations marks) you can get a (not very good) PDF that tells you what to look for and how to get there. You can also write to (I think) the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts and it will mail you a color brochure with a map and brief explanations of the pieces. It's a fun activity, and I highly recommend it.

Also, if you get a chance, check out the State Art Museum, in the old Hemmeter Building. The permanent collection is quite terrific, and the current seasonal exhibit is very cool. Admission to the museum is free! Get your booty over there! If you want company, I'll gladly meet you and hang with you. I love that place.

The trivia contest returns in October (I decided that would be a better month for me than September--I'm starting grad school in September and need some time to get into the routine). I certainly won't do the photo thing again until next summer, unless someone else (Blaine! Ryan!) wants to give it a shot! It would be fun for me to be a contestant for a change!

Woo hoo! I don't know about you ladies and gentlemen, but I had fun and I learned a thing or two, so again, thanks for indulging me!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    The Last Day! Whew!

Day 19 Answers! I will again take two posts to do this.

Logo: The business represented by this logo has been named several times on HawaiiThreads in this thread!
    Sadly, nobody got this one! This is the third photo nobody identified (the others were the Kilgos photo and the Ihilani photo)

Building: As discussed in this thread!

Extra buttered popcorn (blech!) to Glen Miyashiro and Surfingfarmboy for getting it right!

Grave: Also named on HawaiiThreads. Back in March.
    If you look closely at the original photo, you'll see someone has left a baseball there. Only Surfingfarmboy got it!

More stuff. Next post.
    Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 5, 2005, 10:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    T]he ]]]L]ast Day! Whew!

Day 19! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 5, in PRIVATE MAIL.

This is the last day, so if nobody gets these, that's it. No extra chances! I think these will be tough, so I'm giving little clues for three of them. Yes, three of the four, because I'm tossing in a fourth photo today.

Logo: The business represented by this logo has been named several times on HawaiiThreads!

Art:

Building: I changed my mind. No hint for this one. Too easy!

Grave: Also named on HawaiiThreads. Back in March.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 4, 2005, 11:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 18 Answers!

Logo:
    Isn't this a cute logo? I really like it. Kibble and catnip go to Glen Miyashiro, helen, lavagal, AbsolutChaos, mel, and Surfingfarmboy for getting their fur-rocious knowledge. What talon-ted people! It's really gives one paws. I'm winging it now; can you tell?

Art:
    This is actually only half the sculpture, called Parent I and Young Girl by Barbara Hepworth, on the corner of King and Punchbowl on the lawn of the Hawaii State Library. I couldn't get a shot wide enough to include the Young Girl except pictures that gave too much information away in the background. Bertie Botts Everyflavor Beans to Glen Miyashiro and mel for their keen eyes.

Building:
    This is almost the same shot, but this is more like the way you usually see the Royal Mausoleum on Nuuanu Avenue. Surfingfarm boy actually had the right idea, but he said Oahu Cemetary, which is across the street and down about a hundred yards. However, 1stwahine, AbsolutChaos, Glen Miyashiro, and mel were dead-on. oops.

Here are the current standings with one day left to play:
    36: Glen Miyashiro
    25: helen, mel
    19: AbsolutChaos
    17: Surfingfarmboy
    14: lavagal
    7:1stwahine
    6: cezanne
    Last edited by scrivener; July 4, 2005, 10:02 PM. Reason: why not?

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 18! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 4, in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 4, 2005, 12:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    Re: Three Days Left!

Day 17 Update, Continue!

Art:
    I knew dick was going to get this, and he was the only one. This very large and very interesting sculpture is called Barking Sands (1978), and it's by Peter Voulkos, a mainland artist who was stationed on Kauai in his youth. You can see it on the Halekauila Street side of the Federal Building, right across the street from Hoaka. If you get a chance to spend some time with it, get a good look from multiple angles. The different lines and shapes, especially with the bright sunlight and sharp shadows, are fascinating.

First, the best guess ever, from Surfingfarmboy:
    Combining "go" and "to" makes "goto", which in Japanese, means "robber; burglar". I highly doubt that the OCCC has a cutesy logo associated with it, so ixnay that guess.

You gave today's contestants 4 clues: The first 3 picture clues directly/indirectly refer to the number "five". The last picture clue refers to the number two. The telephone fax number at the Honolulu Hale is 808-527-5552. So therefore (if I had math symbols on this laptop, I'd use the 3 equidistant dots to indicate "therefore"), this is a logo associated with the Honolulu Hale.

I'm . . . speechless! That's even better than helen's correct guess about the paintball magazine when we did the trivia contest in March! Well, helen's was better in one respect: that was a correct guess, while this is an incorrect guess. Still!

Let's take a look at this clue.
    The first image is of the classic Japanese game of Go, seen recently in Ron Howard's Oscar-winning best picture, A Beautiful Mind. The second image is the Chinese pictograph for the number five. In Japanese, it's pronounced "Go." The third image is the famous $200-awarding Go space on a Monopoly board. The fourth image is a 2 on a die.

If you're a fan of UH (Manoa) sports on K-5 "the Home Team," you'll know where this is going before you see the picture. Put these four images together, and you get: "Go, go, go to . . ."

I believe this is the first picture in the whole two-week contest not to be identified. That's remarkable, you fabulous people!

Okay. Current standings with two days to go:
    33: Glen Miyashiro
    24: helen
    22: mel
    17: AbsolutChaos
    16: Surfingfarmboy
    13: lavagal
    6: cezanne, 1stwahine

New photos, next post!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 3, 2005, 11:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 17 Answers! I'm going to take two posts to put up the answers and scores, so if you're reading this and it's the most recent post, just chill. I'm on the mutha.

Logo:
    Ah yes. CoffeeTalk. One of my favorite hangouts, especially during NaNoWriMo. Cafe au laits for Surfingfarmboy, lavagal, dick, and Glen Miyashiro for knowing their Waialae Avenue!

Art:
    AbsolutChaos, Glen Miyashiro, lavagal, mel, and dick recognized Aquarius, the 1969 mosaic on the floor of the state capitol building, just beneath where the rotunda would be if ours weren't the only capitol building in the nation that doesn't have a rotunda! The artist is Tadashi Sato, who recently died.

Building: (All of them together)
    You've seen it a million times: the Kapalama Campus of the Kamehameha Schools! No detention for AbsolutChaos, lavagal, mel, dick, and helen for getting that one right!

Current standings and answers to yesterday's art and the day-before-yesterday's logo, next post!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 3, 2005, 10:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 17! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 3, in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building: (All of them together)

Good luck, and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    Three Days Left!

Day 16 Answers!

Logo:
    Another menehune! Cold bottles go to helen, AbsolutChaos, Glen Miyashiro, mel, lavagal, Linkmeister, Surfingfarmboy, and Moto for recognizing the little guy.

Art:
    Aaaaaaand nobody got it! So here's a second look. Woof! Woof!

Building:
    Well! Only helen and Lavagal recognized the Honolulu Fire Department's training facility at the Ewa end of Nimitz, near the airport. If you take the airport viaduct into town , you probably see it every morning! Well, the top of it, anyway. It's much easier to see if you're getting on from Hickam, actually.

Other guesses: A back view of the Occidental Building (good guess, I say), some part of Halawa Prison, and "I swear this building looks like a medical building that sits on this makai side of North King Street somewhere between (appx.) the Kapalama Canal and Akepo. The building I'm thinking has an outdoor stairwell that looks just like the one in your picture..the stairwell leads to different levels of a parking garage, and it's easily seen from N. King. But hey, enough description of a building that is probably not the one you're looking for. Anyway, my guess: It's a medical building on North King Street." That last one is from Surfingfarmboy, whose guesses are always entertaining!

King Street between Dillingham and Waiakamilo DOES have a whole bunch of very distinct buildings. I'm endlessly fascinated by the architecture in the area.

Okay. Nobody got the logo photo from two days ago, so here's your last shot, and a new clue:

Current Standings! Here They Are!
    31: Glen Miyashiro
    23: kimo55, helen
    20: mel
    17: dick
    15: Surfingfarmboy, AbsolutChaos
    10: lavagal

New photos, next post!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 2, 2005, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 15! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 2, in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 15 Answers!

Logo:
    Ooooooh...no winners on this one! So I'll give you another shot and a clue:

Art:

Yes. It's the tile mural on the United Public Workers building on School Street in Kalihi (right next to Golden Palace, a pretty good Chinese restaurant), a building that's seen more than its share of taking out the trash, but perhaps I should watch what I say, lest someone find me floating face-down in Nuuanu Stream next weekend. AbsolutChaos, Glen Miyashiro, dick, and lavagal may take a cigarette break on school grounds for getting it right! Sure it's illegal, but UPW members are exempt from that law because of their collective bargaining agreement!

Building:
    It's not the best whatever-it-is, but it's not bad and it's convenient, and the place has ambience: Perry's Smorgy on Kuhio Avenue in Waikiki! Extra horseradish for helen, dick, and AbsoluteChaos for knowing their Waikiki!

Here are the current standings, with three days left to play!
    30: Glen Miyashiro
    21: helen
    19: mel
    17: dick
    14: Surfingfarmboy, AbsolutChaos
    8: lavagal
    7: Linkmeister
    4: moto

New photos, next post!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 1, 2005, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 15! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 1, in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 14 Answers!

Logo:
    I always liked this one. It's an A and it's a wave. Simple and graceful and wholly appropriate. Five bucks of unleaded go to Glen Miyashiro, helen, kimo55, Surfingfarmboy, dick, mel, Moto, AbsolutChaos, Linkmeister, and lavagal!

Art:
    This is a monument commemorating the hundredth anniversary of the first Korean immigrants in Hawaii, and is located in Pawaa Park between King and Young (and Keeaumoku and Kalakaua). I never really thought much of this, but perhaps I just don't know enough about Korean art. Fried mandoo and taegu go out to Glen Miyashiro, helen, dick, mel, and lavagal for remembering a sight we've all driven past a zillion times!

Building:
    Nice job. It's another look at the brand-new UH Medical School building in Kakaako, this time without the gigantic taro leaves. Ten CCs of plasma, STAT! to Glen Miyashiro, helen, dick, and mel for their sharp eyes. Wait, that sounds like the plasma is for their eyes, and that's not what I meant.

Okay. Yesterday's art. It's called Ka Hooilina Mau Loa. It's in what's called Grover Cleveland Park (which AbsolutChaos knew!) behind the Keelikolani Building on the Queen Street side, near Punchbowl Street. According to Donald Harvey, the artist, the title means "The Eternal Legacy" and symbolizes the legacies left by Kamehameha the Great, Ruth Keelikolani, and Bernice Pauahi Bishop for the people of Hawaii. I always think of synchronized swimming when I see it. Look at it! So yeah. This complete view rang the bells for Glen Miyashiro, dick, mel, and AbsolutChaos!

Here are t]he current standings!
    29: Glen Miyashiro
    20: helen
    19: mel
    15: dick
    14: Surfingfarmboy
    12: AbsoluteChaos
    7: Linkmeister, lavagal
    4: moto

New photos, next post!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 14! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. June 30 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo: Sorry about the size! I'll get the stupid image editor working tomorrow. And yeah. It's out of focus.

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 13 Answers!

Logo: Actually, I stopped by the warehouse store today and this little guy was on everything, so I guess he is a logo.
    I took a nice picture of the menehune next to the Menehune Mac sign, but suddenly the GIMP is giving me problems, so perhaps tomorrow.
    Mac nut cookies go to kimo55, Moto, Lavagal, helen, and Keith H for identifying Mac!

Art:
    Nobody got it, so here's a second look.

Building:
    I expected this one to be tougher, but "Honolulu Hale," said kimo55, dick, helen, Lavagal, 1stwahine, Glen Miyashiro, Keith H., and mel!

Okay. Current standings! Note: Yesterday's score for Moto was wrong; this is (or should be) the correct version.

25: Glen Miyashiro
    22: kimo55
    18: helen
    15: mel
    13: Surfingfarmboy
    11: dick
    10: AbsoluteChaos
    6: cezanne, Linkmeister, 1stwahine, Lavagal
    3: AuntieNellieKulolo, moto

New photos, next post!

Leave a comment: