X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrivener
    replied
    Re: HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Day 8! Answers due by 9:00p.m., June 24 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by scrivener; June 23, 2005, 10:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
    Ho, now I remember that place. I think they had a store at Koko Marina too?

don't remember koko marina location... will haveta dig up my old adverts on it.

They had this long "room" on the side where you stepped up a couple old worn out wood steps to a platform where they had low elevated shelves absolutely full of dozens of boxes of production stills and etc. of sooo many movies! It was too cool.
    (we gotta create anodda thread: "remembah dat ol store?")

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    Re: Dream Leaves

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    we were trying to figure out why some of the stalks of kalo had leaves and others were bare. Any ideas why??
    I don't know if this helps, but on the placard is a quote by the artist, saying that it was a playful, semi-realistic, semi-fantastic sculpture with a lot of the proportions fooled around with; I saw a lot of those stalks more as blades of grass than as stalks of kalo.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied
    Re: Dream Leaves

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    we were trying to figure out why some of the stalks of kalo had leaves and others were bare. Any ideas why??

artistic licence.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied
    Dream Leaves

Scrivener showcased this sculpture, Dream Leaves, in front of the new UH Medical School in Kaka'ako, a few days ago. Some friends and I were discussing it, and we were trying to figure out why some of the stalks of kalo had leaves and others were bare. Any ideas why??

Leave a comment:

• AuntieNellieKulolo
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55
    Imports of rattan, wicker, india goods and handicrafts, also cargo from parts east and west and far afield, flostam and jetsam, books incunabulae, etc. etc., ad infinitum...

This was the simple, hippie days...
    back then, we understood the implication as;
    "cost, plus a little more. not too much more. But a little more and we tell ya it's just a little more..."

ya know; cost, plus a little more just to keep us in business, but also just enuff ta keep you feeling yer gettin a good wholesale bargain. As opposed to 50% profit margin, aka 100% markup, which is what many things generally are, and which is not at all known as "cost plus"... not like in the "cost plus" archaic era; days of south seas merchantile trading, direct from the importer selling/buying, and dealmaking right at the docks or huts, shacks, little shops just in from da beach... which is what we were fresh from, back in the day, before "ottuh may shun".
    Ho, now I remember that place. I think they had a store at Koko Marina too? I still have a little African carving I got there when I was about 10 years old. I used to love that store, and India Imports, when they still sold Indian stuff, before a Japanese company bought it and turned it into a gold chains/eelskin/sequin evening dress emporium.

Leave a comment:

• jdub
    replied

get well, scriv...i'm humbled...maybe i do need to get out more...

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener
    Art:
    This piece is called Hoaka (1986) and it is by Edward Brownlee. .... This is one of the wonderful things about art in these public places, I think. It is a worthwhile investment by our govern]ment. You hear that, Mel?
    Don't start me up on this one because we are in the wrong topic for a debate on tax spending priorities.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

hey! Get Well, Scriv. We're hooked.
    Last edited by kimo55; June 22, 2005, 11:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 7 Answers!

Logo:
    Yes, it is the now-unused logo for the now-defunct City Bank. Nice work, Glen Miyashiro, AbsoluteChaos, and kimo55!

Art:
    This piece is called Hoaka (1986) and it is by Edward Brownlee. It is a representation of a Hawaiian warrior's crested helmet and can be found on the Halekauwila Street side of the Ke`elikolani building on Punchbowl Street. When I was down on my knees reading the title placard, a woman passing by asked me, "Does it say what it is?" "No. Just the title and artist," I called back. "I think it's a turtle--That's what it's always looked like to me," she said. I told her it looked more like a horse to me. I mention this because in taking these many photos these past few weeks, I've had many similar conversations with people I don't know. This is one of the wonderful things about art in these public places, I think. It is a worthwhile investment by our govern]ment. You hear that, Mel? Anyway, loud warrior calls to Glen Miyashiro and Mel for getting it right!

Building
    As I expected, lots of people identified the Ward Theaters building. Frozen Junior Mints to Glen Miyashiro, Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos, Mel, kimo55, and helen for getting it right!

Yesterday's building was the State Department of Transportation Highways Division building on Punchbowl, as correctly identified by 1stwahine, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, and helen. Here's how you usually see it:

Here are the current standings!
    11: kimo55
    9: Glen Miyashiro
    8: helen
    6: Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos, mel
    5: 1stwahine
    3: cezanne, Linkmeister, dick
    2: jdub

I'm feeling slightly unwell this evening, so the photo contest takes a one-day break. Go answer the latest 5 Questions instead!
    Last edited by scrivener; June 22, 2005, 10:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 7! Answers due by 9:00 June 22 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 6 Answers!

Logo:

Grass skirts to kimo55 and AbsoluteChaos for getting that one right!

Art:

I knew dick was going to get this one. It's in front of the new University of Hawaii medical school building in Kakaako, and it's just lovely. The title of the work is Dream Leaves and its creator is Ed Carpenter. I encourage you to spend time with it, if you get the opportunity. Here are a couple more looks at it:

Building:
    Okay, nobody got this one, but someone was close and that's all I can say, so I'm offering it up again with a clue: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Just a note: if you word your answer in a manner that doesn't make it clear that it's your guess, I can't count it. That's what happened with Linkmeister, who wrote yesterday: "It can't be the Aloha Tower, can it?" Sorry.

Here are the current standings!
    9: kimo55
    6: helen, Glen Miyashiro
    4: 1stwahine, Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos
    3: mel, cezanne, Linkmeister, dick
    2: jdub

New photos, next post!

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

Hey, check your private message again. I think I identified the Aloha Tower too, although I hedged. No point?

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Whoops. Sorry about that, and thanks for the heads-up. I've edited the post.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

cough,cough...how come i'm in two standings? one for (4) and one for (2). Is one for handicap? haha i think i have (4) total but if you want to add the other (2) i'll take it cause tonight's three is hard brah!

auntie lynn aka auntie PUPULE

Leave a comment:

Working...
X