HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Day 17 Answers! I'm going to take two posts to put up the answers and scores, so if you're reading this and it's the most recent post, just chill. I'm on the mutha.

Logo:
    Ah yes. CoffeeTalk. One of my favorite hangouts, especially during NaNoWriMo. Cafe au laits for Surfingfarmboy, lavagal, dick, and Glen Miyashiro for knowing their Waialae Avenue!

Art:
    AbsolutChaos, Glen Miyashiro, lavagal, mel, and dick recognized Aquarius, the 1969 mosaic on the floor of the state capitol building, just beneath where the rotunda would be if ours weren't the only capitol building in the nation that doesn't have a rotunda! The artist is Tadashi Sato, who recently died.

Building: (All of them together)
    You've seen it a million times: the Kapalama Campus of the Kamehameha Schools! No detention for AbsolutChaos, lavagal, mel, dick, and helen for getting that one right!

Current standings and answers to yesterday's art and the day-before-yesterday's logo, next post!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 3, 2005, 10:19 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Three Days Left!

Day 17 Update, Continue!

Art:
      I knew dick was going to get this, and he was the only one. This very large and very interesting sculpture is called Barking Sands (1978), and it's by Peter Voulkos, a mainland artist who was stationed on Kauai in his youth. You can see it on the Halekauila Street side of the Federal Building, right across the street from Hoaka. If you get a chance to spend some time with it, get a good look from multiple angles. The different lines and shapes, especially with the bright sunlight and sharp shadows, are fascinating.

First, the best guess ever, from Surfingfarmboy:
      Combining "go" and "to" makes "goto", which in Japanese, means "robber; burglar". I highly doubt that the OCCC has a cutesy logo associated with it, so ixnay that guess.

You gave today's contestants 4 clues: The first 3 picture clues directly/indirectly refer to the number "five". The last picture clue refers to the number two. The telephone fax number at the Honolulu Hale is 808-527-5552. So therefore (if I had math symbols on this laptop, I'd use the 3 equidistant dots to indicate "therefore"), this is a logo associated with the Honolulu Hale.

I'm . . . speechless! That's even better than helen's correct guess about the paintball magazine when we did the trivia contest in March! Well, helen's was better in one respect: that was a correct guess, while this is an incorrect guess. Still!

Let's take a look at this clue.
      The first image is of the classic Japanese game of Go, seen recently in Ron Howard's Oscar-winning best picture, A Beautiful Mind. The second image is the Chinese pictograph for the number five. In Japanese, it's pronounced "Go." The third image is the famous $200-awarding Go space on a Monopoly board. The fourth image is a 2 on a die.

If you're a fan of UH (Manoa) sports on K-5 "the Home Team," you'll know where this is going before you see the picture. Put these four images together, and you get: "Go, go, go to . . ."

I believe this is the first picture in the whole two-week contest not to be identified. That's remarkable, you fabulous people!

Okay. Current standings with two days to go:
      33: Glen Miyashiro
      24: helen
      23: kimo55
      22: mel
      21: dick
      17: AbsolutChaos
      16: Surfingfarmboy
      13: lavagal
      8: Linkmeister
      6: cezanne, 1stwahine
      5: moto
      3: AuntieNellieKulolo
      2: jdub, shave ice, Keith H.

New photos, next post!
      Last edited by scrivener; July 3, 2005, 11:56 PM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 18! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 4, in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
        Last edited by scrivener; July 4, 2005, 12:26 AM.
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 18 Answers!

Logo:
          Isn't this a cute logo? I really like it. Kibble and catnip go to Glen Miyashiro, helen, lavagal, AbsolutChaos, mel, and Surfingfarmboy for getting their fur-rocious knowledge. What talon-ted people! It's really gives one paws. I'm winging it now; can you tell?

Art:
          This is actually only half the sculpture, called Parent I and Young Girl by Barbara Hepworth, on the corner of King and Punchbowl on the lawn of the Hawaii State Library. I couldn't get a shot wide enough to include the Young Girl except pictures that gave too much information away in the background. Bertie Botts Everyflavor Beans to Glen Miyashiro and mel for their keen eyes.

Building:
          This is almost the same shot, but this is more like the way you usually see the Royal Mausoleum on Nuuanu Avenue. Surfingfarm boy actually had the right idea, but he said Oahu Cemetary, which is across the street and down about a hundred yards. However, 1stwahine, AbsolutChaos, Glen Miyashiro, and mel were dead-on. oops.

Here are the current standings with one day left to play:
          36: Glen Miyashiro
          25: helen, mel
          19: AbsolutChaos
          17: Surfingfarmboy
          14: lavagal
          7:1stwahine
          6: cezanne
          Last edited by scrivener; July 4, 2005, 10:02 PM. Reason: why not?
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

T]he ]]]L]ast Day! Whew!

Day 19! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. July 5, in PRIVATE MAIL.

This is the last day, so if nobody gets these, that's it. No extra chances! I think these will be tough, so I'm giving little clues for three of them. Yes, three of the four, because I'm tossing in a fourth photo today.

Logo: The business represented by this logo has been named several times on HawaiiThreads!

Art:

Building: I changed my mind. No hint for this one. Too easy!

Grave: Also named on HawaiiThreads. Back in March.

Good luck, and have fun!
            Last edited by scrivener; July 4, 2005, 11:28 PM.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Last Day! Whew!

Day 19 Answers! I will again take two posts to do this.

Logo: The business represented by this logo has been named several times on HawaiiThreads in this thread!
              Sadly, nobody got this one! This is the third photo nobody identified (the others were the Kilgos photo and the Ihilani photo)

Building: As discussed in this thread!

Extra buttered popcorn (blech!) to Glen Miyashiro and Surfingfarmboy for getting it right!

Grave: Also named on HawaiiThreads. Back in March.
              If you look closely at the original photo, you'll see someone has left a baseball there. Only Surfingfarmboy got it!

More stuff. Next post.
              Good luck, and have fun!
              Last edited by scrivener; July 5, 2005, 10:27 PM.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 19 Answers, concluded!
                The artwork is a very large mosaic located in the Leiopapa a Kamehameha Building (also known as the State Office Tower), across Beretania from St. Andrew's Cathedral. It's called Leiopapa a Kamehameha (1992) and it's by Yvonne Cheng. This thing is just amazing, I tell you. Here are a few details (I have more, but really, you should just go see it yourself!):

And while you're there, walk over to the elevator and check out the little history they have there, explaining who Leiopapa was, and how really cool his parents were.

Okay. Glen Miyashiro and AbsolutChaos correctly identified the mosaic.

This means that the final scores are!
                38: Glen Miyashiro
                25: helen, mel
                20: AbsolutChaos
                19: Surfingfarmboy
                14: lavagal
                7:1stwahine
                6: cezanne

Thanks to everyone for playing! And thanks to everyone for indulging my little exercise. A great number of the art works I photographed can be seen on self-guided walking tours. I don't have a URL because I'm lazy, but if you Google "art in public places" and "walking tour" and "honolulu" all together (put those first two terms in quotations marks) you can get a (not very good) PDF that tells you what to look for and how to get there. You can also write to (I think) the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts and it will mail you a color brochure with a map and brief explanations of the pieces. It's a fun activity, and I highly recommend it.

Also, if you get a chance, check out the State Art Museum, in the old Hemmeter Building. The permanent collection is quite terrific, and the current seasonal exhibit is very cool. Admission to the museum is free! Get your booty over there! If you want company, I'll gladly meet you and hang with you. I love that place.

The trivia contest returns in October (I decided that would be a better month for me than September--I'm starting grad school in September and need some time to get into the routine). I certainly won't do the photo thing again until next summer, unless someone else (Blaine! Ryan!) wants to give it a shot! It would be fun for me to be a contestant for a change!

Woo hoo! I don't know about you ladies and gentlemen, but I had fun and I learned a thing or two, so again, thanks for indulging me!
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It was a lot of fun, but I really should get out more.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

A big mahalo to scrivener for putting this contest together and managing all the responses! Scriv, if you don't mind I'd like to save all this stuff up to use at my next office Christmas party. This was a lot of fun, and I'm not just saying that because I won.

Comment

Thank You, Scrivener, for keeping us entertained and challenged at the same time with some tough (I guess for some it wasn't so tough, but it was tough for me) pictures and logos. Thanks for your time.
                      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

I absolutely loved this activity. I will certainly participate next time. I think it's a great idea to save this for trivia parties. Scrivener, it was your work. What say you?
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

yo, scriv...nice work, man...i didn't get to play much due to recent personal and professional turmoil, but plan to next time around...mahalo for the effort on our collective behalf...
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

Mahalo Scriv. Sorry about posting some answers a day earlier...as you said I'm psychic! I didn't get the points but it was fun, fun, fun!

Auntie Lynn aka Autnie Pupule

I miss it cause at 8:45 pm., I use to rush in posting. Can't wait till the next one. I'll tell my Angels to tell me the day not the day before! LOL
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Are you kidding? All I did was take pictures of stuff and then post them. Most of the info I posted was copied off a placard or from that walking-tour pamphlet. I don't have any rights to this stuff. Do whatever you want with it! But, uh, don't tell people YOUR mom rang the Nagasaki Peace Bell!
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

This was a fun little exercise and made me aware of a few places that I should see for myself and add to my collection of digital pictures that I have of this island and the Big Island. Mahalo!
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X