HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Okay. Nobody got the building from three days ago, so I'll tell you now that it's an upward, inside shot from the lobby of the Ihilani Hotel in Koolina (formerly, West Beach), where the NFL Pro-Bowlers stay every February (the NFL books the entire hotel).

However, cezanne did correctly name the logo from yesterday, thanks to a second chance and a hint:

Well done, cezanne!

Here are the current standings!
    5: kimo55
    4: helen
    3: mel, Glen Miyashiro, cezanne
    2: jdub, 1stwahine, Surfingfarmboy, linkmeister

New photos, next post!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 5! Answers due by 9:00 June 20 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        What kind of a place was that?

Imports of rattan, wicker, india goods and handicrafts, also cargo from parts east and west and far afield, flostam and jetsam, books incunabulae, etc. etc., ad infinitum...

And they couldn't think of a more creative name than "Cost Plus?" I mean, isn't everything we buy "cost plus?"

This was the simple, hippie days...
        back then, we understood the implication as;
        "cost, plus a little more. not too much more. But a little more and we tell ya it's just a little more..."

ya know; cost, plus a little more just to keep us in business, but also just enuff ta keep you feeling yer gettin a good wholesale bargain. As opposed to 50% profit margin, aka 100% markup, which is what many things generally are, and which is not at all known as "cost plus"... not like in the "cost plus" archaic era; days of south seas merchantile trading, direct from the importer selling/buying, and dealmaking right at the docks or huts, shacks, little shops just in from da beach... which is what we were fresh from, back in the day, before "ottuh may shun".
        Last edited by kimo55; June 20, 2005, 01:15 AM.

Comment

However, cezanne did correctly name the logo from yesterday, thanks to a second chance and a hint:

Well done, cezanne!
          My wife deciphered the clue: "if you can't take the heat". I was thinking more in the lines of air conditioning company haha. I just wanted be up front, in case there's an appeal/investigation later in the contest.

Comment

We have a hanging clay fish tank from Rare Discovery. Mom bought it for Dad's birthday or something, and I carted it home. The damned box tore a hole in my fabric-covered car seat.

You can see tanks like it here . He's the same guy who made the one we own.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Day 5 answers! Wow, you folks jumped all over these!

Logo:

Two things. First, I had no idea this was such a recognizable logo. Second, when I took the name out of the source photo, I used PhotoShop's blur tool to sorta smooth it out (I usually do much nicer work, but I was in a hurry). That tool is shaped like an index finger, and I used it to trace the upper contour of the logo's, um, bottom. It was more stimulating than I'd like to admit, really. Bright red bikini bottoms go to helen, kimo55, Glen Miyashiro, and AbsoluteChaos for not letting that one make them loco.

Art:

You know, I'm quite sure that if I was a contestant in this game, I'd have been the only participant not to know this one, 'cause everyone else did! helen, kimo55, Surfingfarmboy, dick, AbsoluteChaos, Linkmeister, Glen Miyashiro, and 1stwahine all took the wisest tack and scored on that.

Building:

Holy tourist traps, everyone also recognized this one right off. I thought I could sneak this one past you, since as kimo55 correctly states, it's the side of the tower facing Diamond Head, and not the side of the tower we normally look at. However, helen, Surfingfarmboy, kimo55, Dick, AbsoluteChaos, Glen Miyashiro, and 1stwahine all towered above, well, everyone who didn't submit a response.

8: kimo55
              6: helen, Glen Miyashiro
              4: 1stwahine, Surfingfarmboy
              3: mel, cezanne, Linkmeister, AbsoluteChaos
              2: jdub, dick

New photos, next post!
              Last edited by scrivener; June 20, 2005, 10:45 PM.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 5! Answers due by 9:00 June 21 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

cough,cough...how come i'm in two standings? one for (4) and one for (2). Is one for handicap? haha i think i have (4) total but if you want to add the other (2) i'll take it cause tonight's three is hard brah!

auntie lynn aka auntie PUPULE
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Whoops. Sorry about that, and thanks for the heads-up. I've edited the post.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hey, check your private message again. I think I identified the Aloha Tower too, although I hedged. No point?
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Day 6 Answers!

Logo:

Grass skirts to kimo55 and AbsoluteChaos for getting that one right!

Art:

I knew dick was going to get this one. It's in front of the new University of Hawaii medical school building in Kakaako, and it's just lovely. The title of the work is Dream Leaves and its creator is Ed Carpenter. I encourage you to spend time with it, if you get the opportunity. Here are a couple more looks at it:

Building:
                        Okay, nobody got this one, but someone was close and that's all I can say, so I'm offering it up again with a clue: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Just a note: if you word your answer in a manner that doesn't make it clear that it's your guess, I can't count it. That's what happened with Linkmeister, who wrote yesterday: "It can't be the Aloha Tower, can it?" Sorry.

9: kimo55
                        6: helen, Glen Miyashiro
                        4: 1stwahine, Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos
                        3: mel, cezanne, Linkmeister, dick
                        2: jdub

New photos, next post!
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 7! Answers due by 9:00 June 22 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 7 Answers!

Logo:
                            Yes, it is the now-unused logo for the now-defunct City Bank. Nice work, Glen Miyashiro, AbsoluteChaos, and kimo55!

Art:
                            This piece is called Hoaka (1986) and it is by Edward Brownlee. It is a representation of a Hawaiian warrior's crested helmet and can be found on the Halekauwila Street side of the Ke`elikolani building on Punchbowl Street. When I was down on my knees reading the title placard, a woman passing by asked me, "Does it say what it is?" "No. Just the title and artist," I called back. "I think it's a turtle--That's what it's always looked like to me," she said. I told her it looked more like a horse to me. I mention this because in taking these many photos these past few weeks, I've had many similar conversations with people I don't know. This is one of the wonderful things about art in these public places, I think. It is a worthwhile investment by our govern]ment. You hear that, Mel? Anyway, loud warrior calls to Glen Miyashiro and Mel for getting it right!

Building
                            As I expected, lots of people identified the Ward Theaters building. Frozen Junior Mints to Glen Miyashiro, Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos, Mel, kimo55, and helen for getting it right!

Yesterday's building was the State Department of Transportation Highways Division building on Punchbowl, as correctly identified by 1stwahine, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, and helen. Here's how you usually see it:

11: kimo55
                            9: Glen Miyashiro
                            8: helen
                            6: Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos, mel
                            5: 1stwahine
                            3: cezanne, Linkmeister, dick
                            2: jdub

I'm feeling slightly unwell this evening, so the photo contest takes a one-day break. Go answer the latest 5 Questions instead!
                            Last edited by scrivener; June 22, 2005, 10:44 PM.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

hey! Get Well, Scriv. We're hooked.
                              Last edited by kimo55; June 22, 2005, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Art:
                                This piece is called Hoaka (1986) and it is by Edward Brownlee. .... This is one of the wonderful things about art in these public places, I think. It is a worthwhile investment by our govern]ment. You hear that, Mel?
                                Don't start me up on this one because we are in the wrong topic for a debate on tax spending priorities.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X