HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

get well, scriv...i'm humbled...maybe i do need to get out more...
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      Imports of rattan, wicker, india goods and handicrafts, also cargo from parts east and west and far afield, flostam and jetsam, books incunabulae, etc. etc., ad infinitum...

This was the simple, hippie days...
      back then, we understood the implication as;
      "cost, plus a little more. not too much more. But a little more and we tell ya it's just a little more..."

ya know; cost, plus a little more just to keep us in business, but also just enuff ta keep you feeling yer gettin a good wholesale bargain. As opposed to 50% profit margin, aka 100% markup, which is what many things generally are, and which is not at all known as "cost plus"... not like in the "cost plus" archaic era; days of south seas merchantile trading, direct from the importer selling/buying, and dealmaking right at the docks or huts, shacks, little shops just in from da beach... which is what we were fresh from, back in the day, before "ottuh may shun".
      Ho, now I remember that place. I think they had a store at Koko Marina too? I still have a little African carving I got there when I was about 10 years old. I used to love that store, and India Imports, when they still sold Indian stuff, before a Japanese company bought it and turned it into a gold chains/eelskin/sequin evening dress emporium.

Comment

Dream Leaves

Scrivener showcased this sculpture, Dream Leaves, in front of the new UH Medical School in Kaka'ako, a few days ago. Some friends and I were discussing it, and we were trying to figure out why some of the stalks of kalo had leaves and others were bare. Any ideas why??

Comment

Re: Dream Leaves

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          we were trying to figure out why some of the stalks of kalo had leaves and others were bare. Any ideas why??

artistic licence.

Comment

Re: Dream Leaves

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            we were trying to figure out why some of the stalks of kalo had leaves and others were bare. Any ideas why??
            I don't know if this helps, but on the placard is a quote by the artist, saying that it was a playful, semi-realistic, semi-fantastic sculpture with a lot of the proportions fooled around with; I saw a lot of those stalks more as blades of grass than as stalks of kalo.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
              Ho, now I remember that place. I think they had a store at Koko Marina too?

don't remember koko marina location... will haveta dig up my old adverts on it.

They had this long "room" on the side where you stepped up a couple old worn out wood steps to a platform where they had low elevated shelves absolutely full of dozens of boxes of production stills and etc. of sooo many movies! It was too cool.
              (we gotta create anodda thread: "remembah dat ol store?")

Comment

Day 8! Answers due by 9:00p.m., June 24 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
                Last edited by scrivener; June 23, 2005, 10:38 PM.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                  We have a hanging clay fish tank from Rare Discovery. Mom bought it for Dad's birthday or something, and I carted it home. The damned box tore a hole in my fabric-covered car seat.
                  Whoa. That's super-cool, and exactly the kind of thing I loved looking at on those days I'd cruise Ward Warehouse after school. It was such a great store!
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 8 Answers!

Logo:
                    We've all seen the sign a million times, but it was only correctly identified by helen, mel, Glen Miyashiro, dick, and cezanne!

Art:
                    It's one of my favorite sculptures ever, and Father Damien is one of my favorite historical figures. In a world where people worry about being used or taken advantage of or ripped off, here was a man who just took care of others' needs. Molokai mule rides to Glen Miyashiro, Surfingfarmboy, and cezanne for recognizing the good Father's statue in front of the State Capital building.

Building:
                    Of all the photos I've posted so far, this is probably the least fair. Anyone familiar with the campus at UH-Manoa would know it immediately, while anyone else wouldn't have a prayer. Still, it's quite a building. Mortarboards to helen, Glen Miyashiro, kimo55, dick, and cezanne for recognizing Jefferson Hall, one of several buildings that comprise the East West Center.

Here are the current standings!
                    12: kimo55, Glen Miyashiro
                    10: helen
                    7: Surfingfarmboy
                    6: AbsoluteChaos, mel, cezanne
                    5: 1stwahine, dick
                    3: Linkmeister
                    2: jdub

Hey! If you haven't jumped in yet and still want to play, just play!
                    New photos, next post!
                    Last edited by scrivener; June 24, 2005, 11:10 PM.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                      Father Damien is one of my favorite historical figures. In a world where people worry about being used or taken advantage of or ripped off, here was a man who just took care of others' needs.

and if... you want to witness a fairly good rendition of said life, rent da video.
                      Has kristoferson among many others. Great story.
                      will humble you into the life of a nun!

Comment

Day 9! Answers due by 9:00p.m., June 25 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art: I will be shocked (shocked!) if someone gets this on the first day!

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
                        Last edited by scrivener; June 24, 2005, 11:14 PM.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 9 Answers!

Logo:
                          Fill-ups go to mel, Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos, Glen Miyashiro, and dick for recognizing the seemingly ubiquitous Tesoro logo.

Art: I was quite sure nobody would get this one, so here's a second look and a clue.
                          Clue: That bird atop the bell is a crane.

Building:
                          Here's another look at St. Andrew's Cathedral on Beretania and Queen Emma. If that guy looking at a map needs direction, he's headed in the wrong direction--he should be going INTO the building! Congratulations to helen, AbsoluteChaos, Glen Miyashiro, kimo55, dick, and mel for recognizing the Episcopal priory.

14: Glen Miyashiro
                          13: kimo55
                          11: helen
                          8: Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos, mel
                          7: dick
                          6: cezanne
                          5: 1stwahine

New photos, next post!
                          Last edited by scrivener; June 25, 2005, 10:57 PM.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 10! Answers due by 9:00p.m., June 26 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

...and don't forget that yesterday's art photo is still live!

Good luck, and have fun!
                            Last edited by scrivener; June 25, 2005, 11:00 PM.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day 10 answers!

Logo:
                              It's a pretty lame logo, if you ask me, but Surfingfarmboy, Glen Miyashiro, and mel all recognized it. Adds Surfingfarmboy: "I believe the first logo they used, back in their infancy, was 'Moki Man.'" Whew. Good thing he's not running the trivia contest, 'cause I'd never have gotten that right!

Art:
                              "Oooooohhhh," some of you are thinking now, recognizing the art in its whole. Yes, it's probably the most visible art on the campus at UH-Manoa, right there in the heart of Campus Center. Full credit and no homework goes to Glen Miyashiro and that's it! I'm so fond of this mural that I'm including a few more shots of it in the next post.

Building:
                              I don't think it's opened yet, but the day before yesterday they began moving the cars from the used-car lot on Automobile Row and from the main lot on Ala Moana Boulevard to this new Honolulu Ford location on Houghtailing. New Ford Mustangs go to Glen Miyashiro and mel for recognizing the new locale. By the way, New City Nissan is also moving to Kalihi, on the property that is currently the Kalihi Shopping Center. I don't know whether to be pleased or disappointed, to be honest.

And here's one more look at yesterday's still-unanswered art object, with another two clues:

clue 1: My mom, who is from Sasebo, Japan, has been invited to ring the bell, which is rung exactly once a year.
                              clue 2: http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/140...00/8442487.jpg

17: Glen Miyashiro
                              13: kimo55
                              11: helen
                              10: mel
                              9: Surfingfarmboy
                              8: AbsoluteChaos
                              7: dick
                              6: cezanne
                              5: 1stwahine

New photos, post after next!
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I know nobody asked, but I always thought the components of this mural, taken separately, were much more interesting than the mural itself, so here are a few details.

For those interested, the mural's title is Hawai`i Ka`u Kumu, which I think means "Hawaii, Our Teacher." It is credited to Calley O'Neill with Theresa Ho, Christopher Turco, and others, 1982.
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X