No announcement yet.

New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

Posted hours before my family and I depart for our regular pilgrimage to Hilo, here's Honolulu Zoom Game 3! Except for a certain subset of islanders, I think this batch altogether is the hardest so far.

As always, e-mail your answers by 8 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 20 to ryanozawa@gmail.com -- don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! Feel free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline. I don't think I'll be able to get to the answer key and scoring until Monday.
    Last edited by pzarquon; November 17, 2005, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 2!

The Theme: Waikiki!

Photo 3: This was this game's stumper. And no one got it. They're part of the overhang between the two towers of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. I originally was going to leave a fragment of the ewa tower in the shot, and probably should have. But the thing is, it really isn't much of a signature element. I confess, when I went to get this shot, I wanted to get the huge, very distinctive bronze sculpture that is usually suspended from this overhang, usually very visible from the street, and an excellent Rosarch test subject (my friends and I always described it as a female anatomical illustration gone horribly wrong). But, it wasn't there! There were workers climbing all over the place, so I guess for the first time in forever they were refurbishing the thing. So at least the answer key image is a bit special. The crown jewel of the Hyatt's central promenade is gone! Lots of creative thinking, though, from booze cruise ship railings to restaurant doors. Best guess? "Sheesh!" Mel guessed the giant movie screen frame near Kapahulu. Now that would've been a great entry. D'oh!
      I knew there was one in there you'd require getting out of the car in order to find! Damned it!

I drove down Kalakaua Ave. THREE TIMES this evening looking for the answer to #3! Even asked a few parking lot attendants at the Sheraton if they recognized that Lauae Leaf metal sign (which I printed on paper B-T-W). None knew.

Whahhhh!! Whaahhhh!

What was that favorite description of a bathroom in Kapiolani park all about? I like know!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        Even asked a few parking lot attendants at the Sheraton if they recognized that Lauae Leaf metal sign (which I printed on paper B-T-W). None knew.
        Nor did a single person in the Ena Road 7-Eleven, customer or cashier. I, too, showed them a printout. Someone said, "With shots like this, you could be looking for something small," which I'd never thought of. Of course, that happened to be wrong this time, but it was a good point. One customer suggested I ask a...oh, wait. I don't think I'll give that idea away just yet.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think there SHOULD be some killer ones like this one that nobody got. Separates the neurotic from the just plain obsessed.

I disagree with Surfingfarmboy about the direction Duke's facing. Sure, while he was ALIVE he might not have had his back to the ocean, but he would prefer that his STATUE face the street, welcoming visitors to the waters at Waikiki, where he broke records and saved lives.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm surprised no one ever thought of putting Duke's statue on a turntable.

Comment

Game Suggestion for Pzarquon...

Do a HILO ZOOM.

Since Pz' makes regular trips there, it would be a nice geographical expansion of this game.

We certainly have a few Big Islanders on this board who'd appreciate it.
              --------------------------------------------
              Scrivener,

Driving down Kalakaua Ave. 3 times in busy evening traffic @ today's gas prices in search of an answer to a benign online puzzle would certainly qualify myself as OBSESSED.

Neurotic? Not yet.

If I have nightmares tonight about Laua`e leaves at the Hyatt, I'll let ya' know.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by helen

Several years ago Rabbett at Hawaii's H4 / IRH suggested this.

http://hotspotshawaii.com/irhpages/spinduke.html
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel

Originally posted by helen
                  Several years ago Rabbett at Hawaii's H4 / IRH suggested this.

http://hotspotshawaii.com/irhpages/spinduke.html
                  I think putting Duke's statue on a turntable would be a mistake as it would effectively turn the statue into a toy object to be spun around at will by passing kids or those who may or may not be under mind-altering substances. Spun around fast enough, the centrifugal force might even cause the statue (which wasn't originally designed and balanced to spin in the first place) to dismount, injure people, and possibly damage the statue itself beyond repair.

I think Duke's statue faces the land and the people because he is welcoming them to his world famous Waikiki Beach in the same way that we ourselves would face, and not turn away from, our friends and visitors as we welcome them into our home.

Comment

Asking around? Driving around? Now that's dedication!

Still alive, with 3 minutes left on a rental net terminal at the hotel. (SurferQuest... it's a scam... it blocks Gmail and my home e-mail, so what was the point of giving them my credit card?) Still getting your answers, though, I presume... Monday night's the line for the current game.

God I love Hilo. There might be a Hilo Zoom special after all!

Comment

Time got away from me tonight, so here's one of the promised pauses. Feel free to post your guesses to Game 3 publicly! Official answer key, scores, and next game... coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        Time got away from me tonight, so here's one of the promised pauses. Feel free to post your guesses to Game 3 publicly! Official answer key, scores, and next game... coming soon.
                        It's 5:12 am. I went to bed last night hoping that one of you would post your guesses so I can kinda "borrow" cause this game kinda hard foa me. heheheh

Alas, nobody did.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 3!

The Theme: UH Manoa! If you have never been a student there, or never walked the campus, this one was tough. But if you have, you had to have recognized a few! I tried especially hard to not include anything especially new -- as tempting as it was to use the POST building, or the renovated entry to the biomedical building on upper campus.

Photo 1: This is the Korean Studies Center, across from Hamilton Library. By itself, this photo might've been difficult to figure out, but if you got the theme, the answer was pretty clear. Everybody who ventured a guess got it. Mel, again, provided his own photo.

Photo 2: This is Hamilton Library. I thought it was the stumper of the bunch, but at least one of you got it. This was one photo where I used the background to give the more significant hint. The eaves/roofline is very distinctive, if you ever looked up!

Photo 3: Keller Hall. The stained glass was a clue, but so was the big "E." Sure, "E" doesn't exactly narrow things down a whole lot, but... you know it wasn't Sakamaki or Krauss or Bachman... or (ahem) Klum Gym.

Photo 4: As usual, Scrivener comes through with probably the most complete answer. "To the Nth Power, by C.W. Watson (1971) in front of the administrative offices at the College of Business Administration." The CBA building as a whole is a architectural nightmare, so this sculture is about the best thing to look at as you enter campus on Maile Way.

Photo 5: If you've been playing HawaiiThreads games for a while, you had no excuse for not knowing the answer to this one: it was posted right here in June! This was the giveaway, which I thought was definitely needed 'cause the rest on their own wouldn't immediately suggest a theme for most. As Scrivener explained this summer, "The mural's title is Hawai`i Ka`u Kumu, which I think means 'Hawaii, Our Teacher.' It is credited to Calley O'Neill with Theresa Ho, Christopher Turco, and others, 1982."

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

16 pts.: Scrivener
                          15 pts.: Mel
                          11 pts.: Zztype
                          9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Pomai, Dick
                          8 pts.: AbsolutChaos
                          6 pts.: 1stWahine, Surfingfarmboy, Helen
                          4 pts.: Linkmeister
                          3 pts.: Tutusue

New game, next post!

Comment

Here's Honolulu Zoom Game 4! Easier than Game 3, I think, but similar in one respect.

Since I'm posting this late Tuesday, let's say the deadline for answers is 8 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 26. Just send your answers or guesses to ryanozawa@gmail.com -- don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! Feel free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

Comment

Oh, I hate myself. I stared right at that Keller sign and never got it. I was looking for an M.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I've never attended any classes at UH, and I've only been on the campus (other than Les Murakami stadium) about five times in 27 years, so I don't feel badly about knowing none of those. But the "E" really confused me. What connection did Enron have with Hawai'i, I kept thinking.
                                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                                X