No announcement yet.

New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

I know we're a playful bunch. I loved scrivener's HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (both rounds!), and his constantly entertaining and provocative questions, and in particular his mini-contest, Logos, Buildings, and Art.

Well, that latter contest was especially fun for me... so I thought I'd throw together my own version, clearly inspired by scrivener (and even zztype's abbreviated photo scavenger hunt): Honolulu Zoom.

In short, I'll post sets of five photos, and you'll have to identify them. Logos, buildings, and art may very well be elements of this game as well. The twist, if you can call it that, is the "zoom" bit - the photos will feature only a tiny part of the landmark, structure, object, whatever. You'll have to figure out what you're looking at, without seeing the whole thing.

Sound like fun?

Difficulty: I've tested a few sets, and some are embarassingly easy, and some are... less than easy. I don't think any set is hard, though in each set I've tried to have one "giveaway" and one "head scratcher." But, bbviously, people outside Hawaii or Honolulu are at a distinct disadvantage in this game. Sorry! It may be hard to score, but hopefully the exercise will still be fun!

Scoring: One point for each photo in the set correctly identified (basically what the photo depicts and where in Honolulu it's located). The more detailed your answer the better - I may 'curve' what scores depending on how many folks' answers reach whatever level of completeness! Plus, an easy sixth point if you get the "theme." The theme could be, "They're all green," or, "They're all at the Honolulu Zoo," or, "They're all named after trees."

Playing: You'll have to e-mail your answers (no Private Messages) by the stated deadline to me at ryanozawa@gmail.com, with "Zoom" in the subject line.

Prizes: The top three winners get something. Haven't decided yet. (Donations to the prize pool welcome!) Hopefully, the real reward will be in the playing!

Schedule: Here's the tricky bit. These won't be posted on a pre-set schedule, though I will set a deadline for answers for each. How long this contest runs depends on how much y'all are enjoying it, and how many photo sets I can come up with. Let's just say you'll get a new set at least weekly, have three days to answer (after I post "time's up," y'all can comment publicly), and we'll wrap it up along with the year -- that is, through Dec. 31, 2005.

First set coming later today (Friday)!

Re: New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

Here we go! Five photos, six points, three days.

E-mail your answers by 8 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 19 to ryanozawa@gmail.com with "Zoom" in the subject line.

Comment

Woo-hoo! I get to play!

This is almost as cool as the return of Farrells!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        E-mail your answers by 8 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 19 to ryanozawa@gmail.com with "Zoom" in the subject line.
        Monday is either Nov. 14 or Nov. 21. The 19th is on a Saturday.

Code:
           November 2005
         S  M Tu  W Th  F  S
               1  2  3  4  5
         6  7  8  9 10 11 12
        13 14 15 16 17 18 19
        20 21 22 23 24 25 26
        27 28 29 30
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          Monday is either Nov. 14 or Nov. 21. The 19th is on a Saturday.
          Oop! The 14th is what I meant (three days from yesterday). Thanks!

Comment

Man I hope this isn't one of the "easy" ones.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
              Man I hope this isn't one of the "easy" ones.
              I hope each set has a 'freebie' and one that most folks won't get. FWIW, photo five above is the most familiar to folks, but photo four hasn't been nailed by anyone. (Er, or am I giving too much away?) In any case, send in answers even if you only recognize one, or are just guessing... chances are, you'll guess right!

By the way, no problem if you want to refine your answers during the answer period... but I do ask that when you "update" your answers, you send all your guesses again, so I just need to keep track of your last e-mail!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                ...I'll post sets of five photos, and you'll have to identify them. Logos, buildings, and art may very well be elements of this game as well. The twist, if you can call it that, is the "zoom" bit - the photos will feature only a tiny part of the landmark, structure, object, whatever. You'll have to figure out what you're looking at, without seeing the whole thing.

Sound like fun?

<kicks dirt>

waaaaahhh!!!

brumgrumblergurgleliveonanotherislefujrugmrgdratsg urggggrrrr

pax

Comment

Re: New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What &amp; Where?

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                  brumgrumblergurgleliveonanotherislefujrugmrgdratsg urggggrrrr
                  Well, if someone wants to do a "Maui Zoom" or "Hilo Zoom," more power to ya! Of course, I'll be on the Big Island this weekend... Heh. Maybe a bonus round!

First game ends tonight! But don't forget to include the sixth answer, and often the easiest: "What is the theme?" Don't overthink these, as I'll take just about anything in the neighborhood.

Finally, if you want to talk prizes, I'm putting up a HawaiiThreads T-Shirt, and the ever awesome zztype is donating a $10 iTunes Gift Certificate! And I expect the prize pool will grow as the number of players does! Thanks, ZZ, and thanks to everyone for giving this game a shot!

Comment

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 1!

The Theme: King Street! I would've also accepted Chinatown (though Bishop Street is a bit outside that) and, for the heck of it, downtown, too. See? Even a vague guess here would've gotten you a point!

Photo 1: Scrivener gave the most complete answer: "'Enchanting Garden' by Satoru Abe (1997), and is in front of the First Hawaiian Bank building at King & Bishop. Abe's work is everywhere on this island, but... his art gallery is located on King Street in Kalihi."

Photo 2: It's the Macy's star! If the star didn't give it away, I was hoping the brick building would. The photo is of the sign facing S. King on the ewa corner, but I'd have accepted any sign (there are several).

Photo 3: This is the side of the old Longs Drugs site at Nuuanu, right where N. King and S. King meet. Also, yes, home of Hawaii Business College, Aloha Graphics, and a cool snack shop tucked away inside. I was hoping the blue windows would be key.

Photo 4: This one, as I expected, was the tricky one. There are several sets of lions in Chinatown. I actually went to check out another pair that a couple of you mentioned to be sure. But, they are different, and if the differences in the sculptures were too minute, and if the fragment of wall in the background was no help, the theme might've been the best clue. As far as I know, these are the only two lions on King Street between Bishop and Maunakea or thereabouts. They stand guard outside Hawaii National Bank. Two of you got this one, so I don't feel it was too hard! Just kinda hard.

Photo 5: All but one of you got these... they are indeed the red pillars fronting Bank of Hawaii and Golden Palace Restaurant (and a small bunch of vendors who set up shop between them on the ewa end of the block). If there were such a thing as extra credit, Mel would have gotten it, as he provided his own photo of the very same pillars being repainted.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

6 pts.: Scrivener
                    5 pts.: Zztype, Mel
                    4 pts.: 1stwahine, Pomai, Glen Miyashiro
                    2 pts.: Tutusue, Helen, AbsolutChaos
                    1 pt.: Surfingfarmboy

New Prize! Surfingfarmboy, a proven pro when it comes to HawaiiThreads games, has graciously offered a $25 Longs Drugs gift certificate! Thanks, Surfingfarmboy, as well as Zztype, for growing the prize pool.

Scheduling Note: Remember, Honolulu Zoom games will be posted as they're developed, and may not be consecutive. Heck, it might take a while for me to catch up with scoring, too! So, if an answer deadline passes with no answers, no huhu, just chill (and feel free to post your guesses and discuss them)... more will come eventually!

But, I do have a second set ready, so... new photos, next post!

Comment

Right on the heels of Game 1 (amazing!), here's Honolulu Zoom Game 2!

As always, E-mail your answers by 8 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 17 to ryanozawa@gmail.com -- don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! Feel free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline.

Comment

Shocking to learn I had the First Hawaiian Bank artpiece correct. Total guess on my part. Amazing how Scriv' knew the detail, right down to the artist's name.

Macy's was the giveaway of the bunch.

Everything else for me would have required a "refresher" tour on King St. in order to ace it.

Whatever you do Pzarq', please don't pull a "HONOLULU ZOOM: SUPER-MACRO EDITION" on us.
                        Last edited by Pomai; November 15, 2005, 03:49 AM.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                          Amazing how Scriv' knew the detail, right down to the artist's name.
                          Not really. I had it lined up for the Logos, Buildings, and Art game but never used it. Also, Abe's work really is everywhere; and it's unmistakeable. Those funky forks and prongs don't really suit my tastes, but they certainly make his work easy to identify.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Today's the last day for Game 2! Lots of room on that leaderboard...

Comment

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 2!

The Theme: Waikiki! I would've also accepted Kalakaua Avenue, as all of these sights are essentially on that main drag, but Zztype correctly notes that one is a fair distance apart from the street.

Photo 1: The sign over the Kalakaua entrance to the International Marketplace! My favorite attempt at an answer, however, involved a detailed description of a restroom in Kapiolani park. Mel, meanwhile, once again comes through with his own photo of the same sign.

Photo 2: Almost everyone got this one: the gorgeous, historic, Sheraton Moana Surfrider Hotel.

Photo 3: This was this game's stumper. And no one got it. They're part of the overhang between the two towers of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. I originally was going to leave a fragment of the ewa tower in the shot, and probably should have. But the thing is, it really isn't much of a signature element. I confess, when I went to get this shot, I wanted to get the huge, very distinctive bronze sculpture that is usually suspended from this overhang, usually very visible from the street, and an excellent Rosarch test subject (my friends and I always described it as a female anatomical illustration gone horribly wrong). But, it wasn't there! There were workers climbing all over the place, so I guess for the first time in forever they were refurbishing the thing. So at least the answer key image is a bit special. The crown jewel of the Hyatt's central promenade is gone! Lots of creative thinking, though, from booze cruise ship railings to restaurant doors. Best guess? "Sheesh!" Mel guessed the giant movie screen frame near Kapahulu. Now that would've been a great entry. D'oh!

Photo 4: A clean sweep here! Not a soul didn't know whose lei-draped shoulder they were looking at. Pomai answers, "Duke Kahanamoku statue on Waikiki Beach by artist Jan-Michelle Sawyer. Erected in 1990 in honor of what would have been Duke's 100th birthday." Notes Surfingfarmboy, "...with his back incorrectly facing the ocean...Duke would never had done that."

Photo 5: It's the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, a.k.a. the Pink Palace. The color gave it away, right? It was either the Moana Surfrider or Tripler! This is the one photo that's more than a stone's throw from Kalakaua Avenue. Both Pomai and Mel knew specifically that this was the side facing the ocean.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

11 pts.: Scrivener
                              10 pts.: Zztype, Mel
                              9 pts.: Pomai, Glen Miyashiro
                              8 pts.: AbsolutChaos
                              5 pts.: 1stwahine
                              4 pts.: Surfingfarmboy, Dick, Linkmeister
                              3 pts.: Helen, Tutusue

AbsolutChaos makes a strong leap forward, and Dick and Linkmeister make a strong first showing! Thanks, everyone, for playing. While puzzling over the current set of photos, feel free to comment on those I've already revealed. Too hard? Too easy? Reminds you of this one time in high school?

And... once again, I just happen to have the next set in my back pocket, so... new game, next post!
                              Last edited by pzarquon; November 17, 2005, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X